Following the Advice of Experienced Lifters Over Your Own

G

Gavin LeFever

This thread is for the times you've listened to someone more experienced (legit) about strength training.

Who was it? How did it pan out? What did you learn?

Sometimes in training, for strength or for fight, a trainer will tell you do something that doesn't feel natural, but is right.

I'll try to come back and hit this thread up with my own experiences, but I just got home.

Hopefully, this will spark some good conversation in S&P for the night.

Was benching about once/twice a week with 3*5 b/c of rippetoe's starting strength; made zero progress whatsoever.

Then I ran into this PL head that competes in OPA (Ontario Powerlifting Association) and told him about my making no progress.

Then he asked about my frequency, and when i told him he said "excuse me" and proceeded to laugh in the corner.

Afterwards he told me to incorporate DE and ME days.

The problem i came with things like this is that not everyone is the same so not everything works as well as others. Some people cannot deadlift heavy every single week, but some can. The advice that helped me was basically frm all the powerlifters on the forum over at Fortified Iron, they know their shit better than any other forum I have ever been on. Basically they showed me the light when it came to training for powerlifting.

Since I joined this forum like two months ago I have taken the advice of experience over myself countless times and it has worked out so far :).

Standard told me how to flip a tire.

In terms of stuff that is counter S&P lore? Bing told to work the neck harness with high, pumping style reps was good advice imo (it makes sense since your neck is just this big fleshy, veiny, blood filled mass), and not working something 3 times a week. Frequency is very in vogue at the moment but I hate it and need my one weeks rest per movement.

When I joined here, my maxes were:

Squat: 350 with horrible form
Deadlift: Nonexistent
Bench: 250
Bodyweight: 225

And now...

Squat: 600 below parallel
Deadlift: 650 sumo, 585 conventional
Bench: 365 with 1 sec pause
Bodyweight: 235

*fwaps to lusst's maxes*

im still trying to figure out how to ask if theres a gym around my area in japan

Er.. sumimasen, powahliftingugymuh wa doko des, ka?

And now...

Theres hope for me yet!

Aside from everything i've learned from these boards, I have a friend who plays d1 football and trained with him while he used his strength trainers workout for him and it helped a lot on my form and such.

And now...

Wow, thats preety intense. How long have you been lifting seriously?

Only idiots ignore the advice of more experienced lifters.

I won't take advice from just any one person just because they are stronger or more experienced. You could go to 10 different guys more experienced and get 10 different types of conflicting advice. The key is to find what the majority agree on, and use that to influence your training, along with SELF experimentation.

I'm with JPC. It's certainly worth taking the advice of more experienced lifters, but at the same time I think your body is a very good guide as well. Don't be afraid to try new things, but there's no reason to continue doing something that is painful / feels unnatural just because someone stronger says to.

That being said, I'm not very strong, so that may not be the best advice :)

Back