Fixed fights in MMA (video)

Eddie got a couple million to take a dive

was my thought after first 3 minutes into the fight, it was surreal stupid and not accidently "forgot how to fight southpaw"

I believe that fixed fights still happens today. The UFC does it by, standing only... but it's still fixed. I love the UFC, because It's brought appreciation to the sport. I Feel as though, you can't have a 2 person sport, with money involved. There WILL always be THE FIX, no matter who the promoter is.

Ask me what I would do for $8,000,000.... Then ask a fighter, who normally gets paid $20,000-$80,000, who doesn't have a retirement, healthcare, training camp fees paid for, or a way to support his family after his fighting is over, what he would do?
Not only 2 men sport... I don't know fix in baseball or soccer? There's plenty of it just google it

So far I don't see any fix in the UFC, if they did both Ronda, and Conor won't lose!
Saying UFC has fixed fight is a disgrace to all the fighters and UFC brand, u better have solid proof before making shit comment like this

So let me ask you a personal question: why do you get so excited talking shit about Conor? It seems like you're never happier in life than when you're shitposting nonsense about Conor on Sherdog, so please tell me why you're so obsessed with him. Every post you make, even in threads like this one which are completely unrelated to Conor, you still manage to make it about Conor. That's an unhealthy obsession, my friend. You should seek help.
Some losers just have red eyes toward young successful people

It's pretty hard to argue with some of the stuff we've seen there. If you're gonna be a criminal at least don't be a stupid criminal. If you're gonna take a dive, you gotta get the JBG's involved & make a real show of it.

Most of those fights look fixed

I like how people jumped on my Conor examples yet didn't say a thing about the showtime kick or Luke blatantly nodding at Vitor and setting up that kick perfectly. :cool:

That video was pretty dumb, and didn't include the more infamous works in MMA, like Frye vs Hall and Taktarov vs Macias

I shall contribute to the best of my knowledge and if any of you truely are interested in the old UFC back story of fixed fights id recommend the book 'No Holds Barred' by Clyde Gentry

The known fixed fights that have already been mentioned ill not go over but I will say Lutter vs Eastman wasnt fixed it was just a weird angle - Eastmans chin was broken for some time

However...

Here are some Zuffa era UFC fights I found 'weird' at best

Matt Hughes vs Joe Riggs

Backstory - Karo Parysian pulled out and they needed a late replacement, this is back in the days when there are like 6 events a year or something so a main event pulling was bad especially at championship level. Riggs stepped in to fill the spot HOWEVER he fucking missed weight which made it a non title catchweight fight. The UFC was heavily trying to build Hughes as one of their stars (he never really caught on, lacked carisma and a bit dickish) and Riggs was very dangerous at that time, they cant afford to completely undermine the belt that way if Riggs wins having missed weight. Riggs also was training WITH Hughes in the lead up to his fight with Karo, and only left the camp to prepare for the title. When the two fought neither took a clean punch or kick instead a very weird grapple side control and kimura I believe. Riggs was far too happy in the aftermath for a guy to get beaten and was all hugs and smiles and immediately went back to training with Hughes camp after. Ohh you think Christian Hughes would never fix a fight thats too immoral - read his biography how he describes in detail how he and Jeremy Horn fixed the ADCC match outcome so they could share the prize for fastest submission when they were drawn against each other - fixing fights is not beyond him. very weird

Shamrock vs Franklin

Backstory - Franklin was being built as a poster boy, handsome young guy, a finisher and intelligent. His fight against Shamrock was the forgotten headliner to the TUF 1 final which everyone talked about Griffin vs Bonnar. This was the only time in UFC history to that point under ZUFFA where a fighter (Shamrock) was given a guaranteed fight purse with no win bonus ($350,000) The no win bonus is very telling. If you were to ask me was Franklin on it Id say no, I believe it was a case of make this young buck look good and take a clean finish and put him over.

McGregor

I hate to say it, Im Irish im a huge McGregor fan but on several occassions I had that horrible feeling that something just wasnt quite right with some of those finishes particularly the Mendes fight. However Poirier and Brandao both looked a bit weird too - but then again Aldo was in no way fixed you cant coreograph that finish and Alvarez that was not fixed he had that same rabbit in the headlights look against Cowboy too - but still some of his fights made me think not legit even thought I believe both champioship wins were on the up and up

If humans will cheat at bicycling in the Tour de France then everything is possible. I think this is why the Romans fought to the death. Hard to pay someone money to have their life ended. I am j/k btw or am I?

Yea but fighting is possible without juice. Riding a bicycle through the hills of France like that without juice is not

Nobody has ever given any logical or serious argument about any UFC fight being fixed.

I suppose you could make a *tiny* argument that a fight in one of the very early UFC's may have been fixed, but even that is very unlikely.

The UFC would never fix a fight nowadays anyway, because it if ever got out (most things get out) then the business would be all but done.
Nothing would happen. Boxing, NHL, NBA, MLB, and NFL have all had multiple proven fights/games/calls that were fixed or worked and all except for boxing are bigger than they've ever been. There's almost no repercussions for organizations when their competitions are fixed. Competitors, refs, and judges get punished, but never the orgs. And as you even said, there have been some fights that looked bad in early UFC.

The only proven fixes in PRIDE were the early Takada wins. The rest of the speculation comes from remarks from fighters like Rampage(who is one of my favorite fighters ever) throwing sour grapes over getting his ass kicked by Wandi and Sakuraba. If those 3 fights were fixed then Rampage needs to learn how to take a dive without coming within an inch of his life.

Just like in the UFC, some early fights were bad, but 98% of PRIDE fight was legit. All the big stars like Fedor, Wandi, Shogun, Rampage, the Nogs, Cro Cop, etc. were all legit fighters with real fights and real victories.

The shadiness of PRIDE is blown WAAAAAY out of proportion by "UFC purists" because they don't want to admit that, from 2000-early'07, PRIDE was the better org with better fighters.

Nothing would happen. Boxing, NHL, NBA, MLB, and NFL have all had multiple proven fights/games/calls that were fixed or worked and all except for boxing are bigger than they've ever been. There's almost no repercussions for organizations when their competitions are fixed. Competitors, refs, and judges get punished, but never the orgs. And as you even said, there have been some fights that looked bad in early UFC.

The only proven fixes in PRIDE were the early Takada wins. The rest of the speculation comes from remarks from fighters like Rampage(who is one of my favorite fighters ever) throwing sour grapes over getting his ass kicked by Wandi and Sakuraba. If those 3 fights were fixed then Rampage needs to learn how to take a dive without coming within an inch of his life.

Just like in the UFC, some early fights were bad, but 98% of PRIDE fight was legit. All the big stars like Fedor, Wandi, Shogun, Rampage, the Nogs, Cro Cop, etc. were all legit fighters with real fights and real victories.

The shadiness of PRIDE is blown WAAAAAY out of proportion by "UFC purists" because they don't want to admit that, from 2000-early'07, PRIDE was the better org with better fighters.

It's a bit different with those organizations because they have been around for so long and have been established for so long.
But it happened in soccer in Italy and to this day Italian football is nowhere near what it was, it's a shadow of what it was, and the stadiums are half empty.

MMA is still a growing sport and there's still people about who don't even think it's different to the WWE!
But in this day and age, a PROVEN fixed fight in the UFC would put everything back hugely.

Shady. Crooked. Fixed fights, thrown fights, and backroom deals weren't uncommon for either organization.

Yeah there were, im a fan of Pancrase myself. Not all matches were fixed but Ken Shamrock was known to "help" certain fighters on their way up. Also the Japanese wrestling organization (BJW), which had Minoru Suzuki and Masakatsu Funaki, created Pancrase as an off shoot grappling with open hand strikes.

It's a bit different with those organizations because they have been around for so long and have been established for so long.
But it happened in soccer in Italy and to this day Italian football is nowhere near what it was, it's a shadow of what it was, and the stadiums are half empty.

MMA is still a growing sport and there's still people about who don't even think it's different to the WWE!
But in this day and age, a PROVEN fixed fight in the UFC would put everything back hugely.
Actually, most of the fixes happened early on. It is easier to entice refs, judges, and competitors when they aren't making good money.

Think about it. An athlete make 6+ figures is hard to get to or it's not worth the amount that would be needed to sway them. But you don't think an athlete making 50k wouldn't at least think about a 10-15k payoff. Refs and judges are even easier to get to, but are worth less because they don't have an ensured direct effect on the outcome.

I'm sure 95+% of the UFC's history is legit and it's getting more so everyday. But this idea that it has managed to stay 100% clean, when no sporting org has ever done so, is a little ridiculous.

The only proven fixes in PRIDE were the early Takada wins.

And the fight where Giant Silva pulled a giant stick from underneath the ring and tried to attack his opponent, WWE-style? There are many fights in Pride that we know are fake just from common sense alone. That includes the Takada fight/s, as Pride never admitted to it and Coleman only did so indirectly. If we're going to dismiss Rampage and accuse him of having sour grapes, we could easily do the same with Coleman and say he just couldn't accept losing to a Japanese bum.

Actually, most of the fixes happened early on. It is easier to entice refs, judges, and competitors when they aren't making good money.

Think about it. An athlete make 6+ figures is hard to get to or it's not worth the amount that would be needed to sway them. But you don't think an athlete making 50k wouldn't at least think about a 10-15k payoff. Refs and judges are even easier to get to, but are worth less because they don't have an ensured direct effect on the outcome.

I'm sure 95+% of the UFC's history is legit and it's getting more so everyday. But this idea that it has managed to stay 100% clean, when no sporting org has ever done so, is a little ridiculous.

I agree that early on in the sport fixes were more likely because it was a pretty shady setup back then and nobody really knew what they were doing.
I don't think anyone really cares too much about that tho.
There's not been a single fight in MMA history where both fighters have said "yeah it was fixed" which would be the only way to fully confirm any fix. And even if they did, all fights questioned would have been pre-2000.
The Taktarov fight is really the only questionable one in UFC history. Which is pretty incredible considering how easy it is to throw a fight.

But as I said, if a fight in this period was found out to be fixed, it would cause the UFC serious problems. They wouldn't take the risk.

And the fight where Giant Silva pulled a giant stick from underneath the ring and tried to attack his opponent, WWE-style? There are many fights in Pride that we know are fake just from common sense alone. That includes the Takada fight/s, as Pride never admitted to it and Coleman only did so indirectly. If we're going to dismiss Rampage and accuse him of having sour grapes, we could easily do the same with Coleman and say he just couldn't accept losing to a Japanese bum.
The Giant Silva fight you are talking about was against another pro-wrestler. There are very few fights(that don't include Takada) where a legitimate MMA fighter(especially any that I mentioned) benefitted from a fix. Rampage's claims are ridiculous. He lost to Silva(both times) because he ate 20 unanswered clinch knees and he lost to Sakuraba because his grappling game wasn't on par.

Could there have been a bad standup? Sure, but bad standups/seperations happen all the time in the UFC. That's not a fix. I'm not even going to entertain his, "I was poisoned before the Sakuraba fight." claim.

Most conspiracy theories on these forums about great PRIDE fighters benefitting from fixes don't even make logical sense. Look at all the fighters I listed before. Why would a Japanese org, partly run by a Japanese crime family, and who's audience is 80-85% Japanese want to fix fights so that the majority of their top fighters are from America, Brazil, and eastern Europe? That makes absolutely no sense. The truth is, the VAST majority of the fights were real and all of the "meaningful" fights were legit.

People that don't except that, just don't want to except that the PRIDE "greats" were actually great.

Back