• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Fish Oil May Increase Risk of Heart Issues and Stroke

Why not just eat fish? 3 times a week I eat a salmon fillet, and a cup of berries, usually blueberries.

Nice way of saying "Rich scumbags" rule the world and F the plebs.
tenor.gif

data is based on self reported questionnaire of whether or not participants "regularly use" fish oil, but unfortunately does not quantify the amount of intake.

"For participants with a diagnosis of a known cardiovascular disease, regular use of fish oil supplements was beneficial"

Furthermore, the ratio of omega-3 to omega 6 in ones diet seems to be a stronger correlator with outcomes vs asolute levels of omega-3 or fish oil consumption.

Overall, the data on the benefits of fish oil supplementation have been mixed (many studies reporting benefits, some studies reporting no benefit, very few studies reporting negative associations) in healthy populations.

It should also be noted that not all fish oil is the same, and not even all omega 3s are the same. the specific omega 3s that have had the most success in trials are eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acid.

Here is a brief summary of some recently published works

(2018)

"Supplementation with n−3 fatty acids did not result in a lower incidence of major cardiovascular events or cancer"

(2020 RCT)

"Among statin-treated patients at high cardiovascular risk, the addition of omega-3 CA, compared with corn oil, to usual background therapies resulted in no significant difference in a composite outcome of major adverse cardiovascular events."

Beneficial Outcomes of Omega-6 and Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids on Human Health: An Update for 2021 (2021 review)

"Intervention trials using EPA + DHA indicate benefit on CVD mortality and a significant inverse linear dose–response relationship has been found between EPA + DHA intake and CVD outcomes"

(2022)
"omega 3 fatty acid supplementation with or without vitamin D reduced the autoimmune disease rate by 15% (not statistically significant)"

(2022)
our Mendelian randomization findings do not support a protective role of circulating PUFA concentration on the risk of CVDs. However, horizontal pleiotropy via lipoprotein-related traits could be a key source of bias

(2022 meta analysis)
"supplementation of n-3 PUFAs in adults can improve CRP, TNF-α, and IL-6 concentrations under various health conditions. n-3 PUFAs can be recommended as adjuvant anti-inflammatory agents."

(2023)
"Among individuals with increased 10-year risk for ASCVD, rosuvastatin 5 mg daily lowered LDL-C significantly more than placebo, fish oil, cinnamon, garlic, turmeric, plant sterols, and red yeast rice."

(2023 meta analysis)
"Higher seafood derived n-3 PUFA levels were associated with lower risk of incident [chronic kidney disease], although this association was not found for plant derived n-3 PUFAs."

(2023 review)
"Of 15 RCTs in cognitively healthy individuals age more than 55 years, seven reported benefit, whereas eight did not"

(2023 review)

"LC ω-3 PUFA supplementation showed beneficial effects on [cardiovascular] death (RR: 0.94; 95% CI: 0.88, 0.99; P = 0.029) and fatal or nonfatal MI (RR: 0.83; 95% CI: 0.72, 0.95; P = 0.010). RCTs on EPA alone showed better results for 3-point [major adverse cardiovascular events], [cardiovascular] death, and fatal or nonfatal [myocardial infarction]. However, the benefits were not found for fatal or nonfatal stroke, all-cause mortality, and hospitalization for heart failure. Of note, studies of both the EPA/DHA combination and EPA alone showed a significant increase in risk of new-onset atrial fibrillation."

Last edited:
There's have been so many contradicting articles saying this or that is good then bad for you that it's become kind of worthless. Try something with caution, get regular check ups and do self monitoring, if it works for you cool, if it doesn't stop it.
You'll see an article like eggs are great they do this and that that benefits such and such, then an article saying eggs may cause this other bullshit; "Should I eat eggs, should I never eat them?" just use moderation, do further research than read little click bait articles or headlines, and do what works best for you as we are all different.
The greatest caution comes in trying some of the more out there supplemental or complementary items that aren't in regular use by hoards of people, you don't want to fall for placebo snake oil or something that can potentially do real harm because you've become a glorified guinea pig.

I think with fish oil products is finding ones that have legitimate clean factories that get regular check ups and have legit certification by legitimate regulating bodies (and not just some clown company's stamp of approval) as well as checking out legitimate user reviews (as there are so many plant reviewers) to see if there's anything potentially funky with them. All of that is no guarantee but it certainly helps.

In the local news, there was a drug that doesn't work for Pacific Islanders and Asians because they lack a particular enzyme to activate the drug, so they took it for nothing but filling the drug company's pocket. Never knew there was such thing that didn't work on all races.

In the local news, there was a drug that doesn't work for Pacific Islanders and Asians because they lack a particular enzyme to activate the drug, so they took it for nothing but filling the drug company's pocket. Never knew there was such thing that didn't work on all races.
Some drugs are like that. Those ACE-I drugs don't work well for Asians and Blacks for some reason. Some other drugs like Carbamazpine causes Asian people's skin to melt off. It's so gnarly. It's some weird allergic reaction called Steven Johnson's

I take a fish oil with high levels of DHA to EPA, most have it in the opposite ratio. It is supposed to be better for brain health and concentration, and in my experience it does have a noticeably positive effect.

I shall press on with routine of that and a multivitamin almost every day. Placebos work too if you believe in them.

everything they said to be good for your health two decades ago is now bad. WHO is ruled by mad men.

Breathing oxygen could lead to AIDS. Details at 11.

I will continue to take my Nordic Naturals Fish Oil because I'm not the biggest fan of Fish. Tbh, I feel like it's actually helped my heart a bit. I not longer get some random stinging pains in my chest. I do also take Calm-Mag Magnesium Acetyl Taurinate that may also be helping as it's designed for relaxation.

I've been avoiding salt, eating fewer calories, and eating food rich in Vitamin K2 with fish oil capsule because it needs fat to be absorbed and trying to eat some Honey Nut Cheerios almost every day. My focus is trying to unharden my blood vessels.

Look into the health benefits of extra virgin olive oil, cayenne pepper, garlic, onion, and pomegranates. These are all very good for healthy blood vessels.

...And what's good for your blood vessels is also good for your dick. You know I'm saying?

Back