First time wrestling

GeeGee

White Belt
Reaction score
So I decided this year I would try to wrestle for my school team, which is one of the best in the state. I started my first "pre-wrestling" class today, it is basically to get you prepared for wrestling season. And God damn, it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. This was my first time doing any real sport, I've never done any sports after school thanks to my careless parents about my health. So the coach took it really easy on us, we just did warmups and ran around for a bit which I lasted through it like pretty much nothing, we wrestled which I enjoyed a lot, and then we got to sprints which is absolutly the hardest thing I've ever done. We only did about 25, in our highschool we do about 100, and I barely survived the 25. I know the logical answer to my problem would be to practice my sprints, but I didn't enjoy wrestling that much to tell you the truth, I enjoyed the explosiveness in the beginning, but that was about it. I've done a bit of BJJ with my brother when he trained for a while, he taught me some stuff and I enjoy that type of grappling a lot more, but unfortunately I cannot afford $90 a month to start it. Also, wrestling practice at my school is about 6 times a week, 7 times sometimes. It is very time consuming, and I am debating on whether it is worth it or not, what do you think?

Dude wrestling will help you out immeasurably in BJJ, takedowns to a superior position are what it's all about.

Dude. If I could go back in time to highschool I'd do two things. Screw Ashley Johnson and take wrestling. 'Nuff said.

I'm not quitting yet, tryouts aren't until the end of November. I'm just asking if you think it's worth it for 7 times a week. By the way I'm about 6 feet 170 pounds. Don't look out of shape but can't run worth shit.

Go with wrestling!
I had a worldclass wrestling gym in my hometown but I spent my teenage years doing bullshit jitsu and I thought I was a badass.
How bitterly I regret that today.

^ You're saying BJJ is worthless?

Go for it dude, wrestling will help you physically and someday down the line if you want to do BJJ.

It will be hell until you get in shape ... stick to it and I bet you'll really like it. If you're really in such lousy shape, no sports, you should expect to take at least 2 months of work to get in decent shape. Good news is when you start low, you will make huge progress fast.

Bubble Boy said:
Dude. If I could go back in time to highschool I'd do two things. Screw Ashley Johnson and take wrestling. 'Nuff said.

thats about the funniest thing ive heard all day.

to the original poster: dude...the bummer about hs wrestling (so ive heard) is that its a lot of grinding it out. the upside to that is that you become a tough as nails, nasty ass sonofabitch (a la matt hughes). along the way you also learn some spectacular techniques. if you cant be training bjj now, do that shit...no doubt about it.

Dude, suck it up... it'll get easier and you'll become a freakin beast. HS Wrestling is one of the best things I did in HS.

....there is nothing quite like getting your hand raised in the middle of the mat.

wrestling is the reason to attend highschool, that and my french girlfriend for me..

give it a shot. the second week is always better than the first. once you see some matches and see how it goes down you'll be in or you'll be one of those guys who stopped showing up and didnt want any of the glory.

I agree with everyone else: wrestling could make you a 10x better grappler. At NAGA a college wrestler I knew with limited BJJ experience took third place. Remember that in wrestling there are no submissions, and you should go to your stomach rather than your back. Or better yet, just don't get taken down and you'll have no problems with either wrestling or grappling... ;-)

This is a grappling forum, son. Nobody here is going to tell you to quit wrestling.

The guys in this forum who wrestled in HS will tell you to stick with it no matter what, because that's what THEY did. The guys who didn't wrestle in HS will tell you to stick with it, because that's what THEY wish they had done.

You say you'd rather do BJJ but can't afford $90 a month. So until you find out how to come up with $90 a month, cross that off your list of options.

My best advice is this: You tried out for wrestling for a reason. Only you know that reason. One workout on one day is usually not enough of a test to see if you really like something or not. Always remind yourself of the reason you tried out in the first place...especially when you're trying to make it through that 10th sprint at the next workout, let alone the 25th.

High school is the time to try out things and see what you like. You won't like everything, so don't feel bad if you try something and eventually decide you don't like it. Be proud of yourself for at least trying! A lot of people don't even have the guts to do THAT!

Make a deal with yourself and stick with it (it builds integrity...that will take you much farther in life than wrestling OR BJJ). For example, decide you'll quit on the THIRD really tough day, not the FIRST. It today was your FIRST really tough day, well then you've got 2 more to count before you decide that wrestling is really not for you. If you don't want to count today, fine...just don't change your mind about it later!

Good luck!
(now carry on, young grasshoppa...)

coming from a former wrestler

When you wrestle you will dedicate your entire life to it, but it is worth it. Not just from the physical get better at BJJ end but the mental aspects. I learned so much about who I am and what true commitment is from it. Stick with it for at least one year. You will look back at it being a good decision your entire life.

SuperCubsFan said:
coming from a former wrestler

When you wrestle you will dedicate your entire life to it, but it is worth it. Not just from the physical get better at BJJ end but the mental aspects. I learned so much about who I am and what true commitment is from it. Stick with it for at least one year. You will look back at it being a good decision your entire life.

Best advice the whole thread.

It just depends on whether wanting to wrestle is really in your heart. If it is, you'll stick with it and not regret a thing. When I was a freshman and started wrestling I was in the same position you are. I was weak, out of shape, and got my ass kicked daily in a very tough practice room. I'm a very stubborn person, so I decided no matter what I was going to stick with it and get good. Some of the best experiences I've ever had have come through wrestling, and it's made me a helluva lot tougher mentally and improved my work ethic tremendously. Just stick with it a bit longer to figure out if it's for you, just don't make a snap judgment based on one day of practice.

If you don't want to do it, don't. You'll probably quit halfway through the season after a lot of pain. Save yourself the time and energy.

when u wrestle nobody will fuck with you in highschool. also genki sudo wrestled, good enough reason(to me at least har har har) to wrestle.

I'll be wrestling for my H.S. again this year. I think if it wasnt for wrestling, I wouldnt be so sure that I would be in school right now.

You should play a sport in high school. You'll be on a team, you'll make new friends, you'll be more attractive to women, etc. Wrestling has the additional advantage of actually learning to fight, which is handy in high school but not really useful afterwards (in my experience).

I'd stick with it. What's your other option? What are you going to do with your time that's better than the wrestling team? Computer games?

Back