First time wrestling

If it isn't what you really want to do, why waste your time on it? If you want to do BJJ, get a part time job. Working 10 hours a week will get your plenty of money for BJJ. You will also appreciate it more if you have to work to do it.

10x5.25 = 52.50 - $8 for taxes and stuff = around $44 bucks a week.

If you want to stick with wrestling, then DO IT. Don't get discouraged. Keep in mind, that most wrestlers have been doing it since they were 8 years old.

Yeah, I doubt I will quit the first day, but I am at a huge disadvantage. I don't know any wrestling techniques nor the wrestling rules, and I am a junior, so everyone that I wrestle will be at a much higher level then me. I'm not even having second thoughts yet, the first time you do something is always going to be hard, and I can accept that. My brother took BJJ for 5 months and he was very out of shape, he hadn't done any physical activity since highschool and he was 19 at the time, he said his first day of BJJ was very hard, but he eventually got it and he loved it. So until the actual wrestling practice, I'm not gonna judge the sport yet. I also realize wrestling will help me a lot if I ever start BJJ with me having the upperhand on takedowns, a friend of mine on the wrestling team does judo and he just dominates all his opponents using judo, it's crazy.

"it builds integrity...that will take you much farther in life than wrestling OR BJJ"
That is so true.

I did 1 year of wrestling in my junior year in hs. Everyone on the team's been doing it
since they were 5. I signed up after watching UFC 1. During that time, I was taking TKD.
Wrestling is hard. Not just the physical aspects, but mental.

I'll be honest; I hated practice. It was hard to learn a new skill(grappling) and at the
same time go through 3hrs of killer cardio/strength conditioning.... and then do it for
5 days straight. I wanted to quit within the first month. My team kept me in check and
I stuck with it throughout the whole season. By the 3rd month, I started to get into the
flow.

In the end, I am so glad I had those guys on the team and kept me in check. The coach
used me as an example the following year. Apparently a few newbs tried out and started
dropping out as the season got started. He was pissed. He told the remaining team how
he respected me (heard this from the team). He said something along the lines: "No matter
how much he hated this shit, he didn't quit and stuck with it."

DO IT ONLY IF YOU PLAN TO FINISH THE SEASON.
Don't do it just to "try". Don't waste your
coach's time and loose the respect of your team.

DMcKayBJJ said:
This is a grappling forum, son. Nobody here is going to tell you to quit wrestling.

The guys in this forum who wrestled in HS will tell you to stick with it no matter what, because that's what THEY did. The guys who didn't wrestle in HS will tell you to stick with it, because that's what THEY wish they had done.

You say you'd rather do BJJ but can't afford $90 a month. So until you find out how to come up with $90 a month, cross that off your list of options.

My best advice is this: You tried out for wrestling for a reason. Only you know that reason. One workout on one day is usually not enough of a test to see if you really like something or not. Always remind yourself of the reason you tried out in the first place...especially when you're trying to make it through that 10th sprint at the next workout, let alone the 25th.

High school is the time to try out things and see what you like. You won't like everything, so don't feel bad if you try something and eventually decide you don't like it. Be proud of yourself for at least trying! A lot of people don't even have the guts to do THAT!

Make a deal with yourself and stick with it (it builds integrity...that will take you much farther in life than wrestling OR BJJ). For example, decide you'll quit on the THIRD really tough day, not the FIRST. It today was your FIRST really tough day, well then you've got 2 more to count before you decide that wrestling is really not for you. If you don't want to count today, fine...just don't change your mind about it later!

Good luck!
(now carry on, young grasshoppa...)

Go for it, man. Look how many MMA fighters have a strong background in wrestling. And, it will give you great stamina if you stick with it.

Go for it. Thats what im doing this year. My Bjj instructor says it will help me a lot.

Zankou said:
It will be hell until you get in shape ... stick to it and I bet you'll really like it. If you're really in such lousy shape, no sports, you should expect to take at least 2 months of work to get in decent shape. Good news is when you start low, you will make huge progress fast.

Yeah I'm taking pre-wrestling classes just to get the feel of wrestling and get use to running sprints and etc. Tryouts are not until after Thanksgiving.

GeeGee said:
So I decided this year I would try to wrestle for my school team, which is one of the best in the state. I started my first "pre-wrestling" class today, it is basically to get you prepared for wrestling season. And God damn, it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. This was my first time doing any real sport, I've never done any sports after school thanks to my careless parents about my health. So the coach took it really easy on us, we just did warmups and ran around for a bit which I lasted through it like pretty much nothing, we wrestled which I enjoyed a lot, and then we got to sprints which is absolutly the hardest thing I've ever done. We only did about 25, in our highschool we do about 100, and I barely survived the 25. I know the logical answer to my problem would be to practice my sprints, but I didn't enjoy wrestling that much to tell you the truth, I enjoyed the explosiveness in the beginning, but that was about it. I've done a bit of BJJ with my brother when he trained for a while, he taught me some stuff and I enjoy that type of grappling a lot more, but unfortunately I cannot afford $90 a month to start it. Also, wrestling practice at my school is about 6 times a week, 7 times sometimes. It is very time consuming, and I am debating on whether it is worth it or not, what do you think?

I used to coach wrestling in california at two different High Schools. I'm not sure what grade you're in, but unless you're a freshman, you got a tough road ahead of you. Where I'm from, MO, kids start wrestling in kid's clubs at age 5. By the time they get to HS, they're tough as hell. If you're a freshman you can still be competitive if you put forth the effort. Trust me when I say this, Wrestling practice (in a good program) is one of the hardest, most physically demanding things you will ever voluntarily go through and I've been to boot camp. If you can make it through 4 years of wrestling, you can do anything. If you stick with it, you'll come out the other side a hell of a lot harder than when you went in. You can't beat two day tourneys as far as excitement goes. I've wrestled since age 9 (started late) and I still compete in free-style tourneys from time to time. My advice, stay with it. It will change your ass for the better. The hardest part of anything is getting started, the rest is downhill.

All you wrestlers say it with me: "the sight I adore on the basketball floor is wrestling mats from door to door." Amen

bacon said:
All you wrestlers say it with me: "the sight I adore on the basketball floor is wrestling mats from door to door." Amen

Amen Brotha. Even tho I havnt started yet lol.

Just do it im a freshman in highschool and im only 5'7-5'8 and weigh only about 110 pounds at the most and im gonna join wrestling. Plus im out of shape but i wanna get stronger and hopefully wrestling can improve my 1 month of brazilian jiu-jitsu experience. All my other friends are like scared joining wrestling because they dont wanna lose to a girl or something but for me it doesnt matter as long as i improve than im happy

bacon said:
I used to coach wrestling in california at two different High Schools. I'm not sure what grade you're in, but unless you're a freshman, you got a tough road ahead of you. Where I'm from, MO, kids start wrestling in kid's clubs at age 5. By the time they get to HS, they're tough as hell. If you're a freshman you can still be competitive if you put forth the effort. Trust me when I say this, Wrestling practice (in a good program) is one of the hardest, most physically demanding things you will ever voluntarily go through and I've been to boot camp. If you can make it through 4 years of wrestling, you can do anything. If you stick with it, you'll come out the other side a hell of a lot harder than when you went in. You can't beat two day tourneys as far as excitement goes. I've wrestled since age 9 (started late) and I still compete in free-style tourneys from time to time. My advice, stay with it. It will change your ass for the better. The hardest part of anything is getting started, the rest is downhill.

From what I heard, the beginning is hard, but even after then when you can run an average of 10 miles they just make it harder for you, because they see its getting too easy. So it actually doesn't really go downhill from what I've heard. I've asked the wrestler kids if they liked wrestling, they said they hated it, and I asked "then why do you do it?" their response: "I really don't know."

Yeah, I doubt I will quit the first day, but I am at a huge disadvantage. I don't know any wrestling techniques nor the wrestling rules, and I am a junior, so everyone that I wrestle will be at a much higher level then me.

Odds are that no one gives a shit if you can wrestle or not. When I wrestled it wasn't expected at all and they didn't cut people because they sucked.

Os3y3ris said:
Odds are that no one gives a shit if you can wrestle or not. When I wrestled it wasn't expected at all and they didn't cut people because they sucked.

yes but our teams is one of the best in the state. one of our 189 pounders went against the #1 guy in the nation, and lost due to DQ but from what I heard he did good. he spun around because he was in refs position and ended up head butting the kid in the nose.

I have wrestled for 10 years and there is nothing I hate more than some one that admits when he is tired then make the excuse "I dont realy like wrestling any ways"

GeeGee said:
yes but our teams is one of the best in the state. one of our 189 pounders went against the #1 guy in the nation, and lost due to DQ but from what I heard he did good. he spun around because he was in refs position and ended up head butting the kid in the nose.

It shouldn't matter how good your team is as long as your coaches/teammates aren't assholes. We were a top 5 team in the state my senior year with a tough as hell practice room, but we welcomed new people in. We had several freshman and sophomore first-year wrestlers. We realized everyone has to start somewhere, and if they were able to tough it out and not bitch and complain they gained our respect.

QUOTE Gee Gee "From what I heard, the beginning is hard, but even after then when you can run an average of 10 miles they just make it harder for you, because they see its getting too easy. So it actually doesn't really go downhill from what I've heard. I've asked the wrestler kids if they liked wrestling, they said they hated it, and I asked "then why do you do it?" their response: "I really don't know."

My Junior year we were 3rd in state (4A). Good programs know how to push their wrestlers. If you want to see how tough you are, try wrestling. It's the toughest sport you can do in HS. If you suck, it's your own damn fault because its an individual sport. It sounds like you're looking for an excuse not to wrestle, so you probably shouldn't. If you've never competed in another sport, then HS wrestling is gonna shock your system. If you want an excuse....any will do. If you go into it half assed, you're wasting your time. I am a pretty good wrestler, but I was never a champion. It takes a different kind of person to be a champion. When every else is going home, they're climbing the rope. When everyone else is getting a ride home, they're running. When other kids are watching TV, they're practicing their fireman's carry. If this doesn't sound like you, then the best you'll ever be is decent.....and you'll have to bust your ass to even get to that level.

[/QUOTE]My Junior year we were 3rd in state (4A). Good programs know how to push their wrestlers. If you want to see how tough you are, try wrestling. It's the toughest sport you can do in HS. If you suck, it's your own damn fault because its an individual sport. It sounds like you're looking for an excuse not to wrestle, so you probably shouldn't. If you've never competed in another sport, then HS wrestling is gonna shock your system. If you want an excuse....any will do. If you go into it half assed, you're wasting your time. I am a pretty good wrestler, but I was never a champion. It takes a different kind of person to be a champion. When every else is going home, they're climbing the rope. When everyone else is getting a ride home, they're running. When other kids are watching TV, they're practicing their fireman's carry. If this doesn't sound like you, then the best you'll ever be is decent.....and you'll have to bust your ass to even get to that level.[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to make excuses...I'm just wondering if all that hard work and time spent is worth it, that's all. I just want to hear a wrestlers opinion.

I'm a freshman in college and I completely regret not wrestling in highschool! I wanted to do it my freshman year of HS, but my classes and G.P.A. were too demanding. Summer after freshman year, my family and I moved from Ohio to Texas to a highschool without a wrestling team, and I was really upset that I blew my chance. I asked around if anyone knew why. Everybody I asked said that they would be in it if they had it. That made me even more upset! My English teacher said that it was because we did not have any other schools in the area to compete against. I wish that they at least made it intramural (between fellow classmates in the same school). Sophmore year I did Tae Kwon Do and I would still be doing it except my TKD school closed because our instructor died at age 47!!! He was a diabetic and he was found unconscious on the bathroom floor from a blood clot. I had to go to his funeral a few days later. Senior year I started running cross-country in the fall and then track the next spring. I know what it is like to have things be difficult for a person. When I started running, I could not go 500 feet without walking. At the first cross-country meet, I placed 48 out of 49, junior varsity, my senior year! BUT I STUCK WITH IT! 5 months later, I ran the 13 mile Houston Half-Marathon in 2 hours! I jogged 10 straight miles before I even started walking. Today, I regret also not competing in football in high school like my big brother. I know that, yes, I too would have hated the practices, but I wish that I was at least involved in one pep-rally. Maybe I might have made a friend with one of the jocks, who could watch my back, to keep me from getting picked on. I thought I was too little to be in football. Freshman year I was 5'5'' and 110 pounds. I'm now 6'. My mom sent me to my current university because it was where she went when she was my age. Obviously I am a whipped little momma's boy! This place does not have a cross-country, football, or wrestling program, thanks to Title IX. I just sit my @(( on a computer all day.

P.S. I am running the Houston Half-Marathon next year, two years in a row, to my momma's chagrin. (She's afraid either of the $60 entry fee, or the fear that I'll trip and fall and hurt myself. I rebuke that curse in the name of Jesus).
P.S.S. Sorry this is so wordy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back