First thing in the Morning warmup (help)?

twoblink

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a decent warmup routine, for when I go to the gym or workout after work.

But I've discovered that it doesn't work that well, as a "first thing in the morning" warmup.

In the morning, not only are the muscles stiff, but the muscles "aren't awake" is the closest I can describe it. But you all know what I mean.

I don't need something that's going to get me all sweaty in the morning, I just want something to get the juices flowing, so I'm a bit more energetic throughout the day.

So I'd like to hear how some of you do it. Thanks.

Coffee ?

Go on the treadmill and row machine for 5 mins to warmup.

Im in the same boat..I want to get a light workout in the mornign to kickstart my metabolism but I dont feel like doing anythign because in so groggy and stiff. Im thinking about getting a bike and going for a short ride.

Same here lately. I have gone on a few morning runs and it took forever to get warmed up to where I felt really comfortable to run hard or jsut flow. I find a good hot shower helps, some food int he stomach, a little walking, a little joggin, and maybe a set or two of quick pushups (not many, just enough to wake you up). But I have been feeling better later in the day. Oh, a good night's sleep is essential. You will feel a huge diference if you get too little or even too much sleep.

I have a tough time getting enough sleep. I usually go to bed around 10PM, asleep by 10:30 or so. Then, I get up at 5AM when my wife wakes up to get ready for work. That's when I work out, be it a lifting day or cardio day. But, I notice that throughout the day that I get really tired. Yeah, I know, just go to sleep at a decent time.

I try to get to bed around 10 or 10:30 or so except on Mondays...TUF night so I don't get to sleep till about 12:30. Anyway, I usually get about 7 or 8 hours of sleep. I like to sleep.

stretch, run, and do some pushups and situps. works for me.

Must be nice to be able to get lots of sleep. Me, all my life I've had a problem getting to sleep. I'm lucky to get 5 hours in. I'm usually up at about 6:30am and don't get to sleep until about 1:30-2:00. And even that is an improvement from about 2 yrs. ago. Any suggestions.

silverback_04 said:
Must be nice to be able to get lots of sleep. Me, all my life I've had a problem getting to sleep. I'm lucky to get 5 hours in. I'm usually up at about 6:30am and don't get to sleep until about 1:30-2:00. And even that is an improvement from about 2 yrs. ago. Any suggestions.

I don't know how old you are. But sleep is very good for you. There are a lot of tough guys who like to brag about not needing sleep (i.e., "Sleep is overrated," Frank Trigg, pre Hughes II). But that's just bad biology.

Why are you up so late?

More to the topic, I hit the treadmill four mornings during the work week at about 6 a.m. But before that I do the early part of the "How to Do 100 Pushups" routine that is floating around on the Internet. I find that just doing that routine helps get my blood flowing and makes the first few laps on the treadmill that much less stiff and achy.

Ebay has an awesome Sak training vid I bought about a year ago.

I checked recently and they're still selling it.

Anyways, theres a warmup he and matsui demonstrate and it seems to do a good job.

Minute long circuit, nothing fancy but it's cool nonetheless.

Chad, you got me curious, what excersices do they use in the circuit?

all the basics I guess

running in place
mountain climbers
plyo's
sit outs
push ups
back hypers
a few others.

Old stuff that you used to do in wrestling practice with a Takada Dojo twist.

Minute long circuit.

Check it out on ebay...it's cheap.

i lay on the floor and start breathing with deep breaths and then do some crunching movements and then i just take it slow and work into my workout by stretching and making movements that require little force or strength

Pavels "Super Joints" book has some great morning warm up routines, its just depends if you want to pay US$34.95 for a 99 page book. Good book but

for my general warmup I just run 1/2 a mile in under 3 minutes, after the first lap everything starts to loosen up and get warm and I finish the second lap before being too tired for my lifting.

That's just what I do for the program I'm on right now. I do my GC and Burpees at different times and I do some low impact cardio different days as well.

silverback_04 said:

are you tired when you wake up ? some people just need less sleep. there was some old woman they tested in italy who functioned on like 30 minutes sleep a night (no jokes) without any adverse side-effects at all.

if you are tired , try meditation , medication and maybe marijuana? or watch cricket , that shit knocks me out in 5 minutes flat.

I usually go for a quick bike ride in the morning, or a jog with some pushups and crunches. works for me

I like all the suggestions but something that works for me first thing in the morning when I have to get up early to train is to put on a song that just pumps you up while you're getting ready stretch out as it starts to play and it'll pump you up if you have the right mentalitly... use the song as if it was your MMA entrance theme and you're getting pumped for a fight.. I find it works awesome (Y)

Back