first handgun

thaiboxer67

White Belt
Reaction score
so i'm looking for a first handgun, would prefer a semi -auto most likely a .45 but willing to listen to opinion. this is mostly for defense in an urban setting in case the worst ever happens.

Go to a gun shop that rents guns and has a range. Try out several in your price range and find out which one(s) you're most comfortable with.

But if you're looking at a .45 semi-auto, check out Glocks, Springfield XDs, S&W M&P, etc.

I'd recommed a 9mm over a .45. Any 9mm defensive ammo will be effective and the standard fmj ammo that you'll use for practice is much less expensive. And you'll want to practice a lot.
I also recommend purchasing a good used handgun over a new gun. The performance won't suffer and you can save a boat load of money. Every gun I've ever purchased has been used. Glock is an excellent choice, but they won't any beauty pagents. They're like the Honda Accords of the gun world. They are popular for a reason. One of my guns is a G19 and I like it.
What's your price range?

seriously go with a desert eagle,great starter pistol

Last edited:
i'd like to keep things in teh $500 dollar range, but i haven't been in a shop in years, and more the things i really want i suspect the law would object too...lol seriously i wish i could get an old semi auto colt ar15 with all the toys, i heard that when you add a flash supressor or a big mag they get in the banned territory which i feel is foolish. i can understand the full auto ban but an ar 15 minus the flash is ugly.i like a .45's power but stay away from the big magnums as they are loud, expensive and just kick too much for my taste.

I need a gat for home protection my apt complex has been broken into 2 times,sprinfield XD are good for my needs

what are law legal ramifications of carrying two hand guns one in each hand in case someone breaks in, are you only allowed to use one gun at a time? I would double fist those tiny tauruses.
I buy two of these one for each hand
P10004191.jpg

Last edited:
wouldn't buying a used gun put you at risk of getting a gun thats been used in a crime?

first off
Do a little research, Don't just go out and buy something you don't know anything about because it looks good. Look online and find a few things you would be interested in, Then head to a local range and see if they have those models for rent, if they do rent them out and fire off about a box of ammo a piece and see which one you really like.

A few things
-45. as a first weapon is probly not the best choice, if you like it then go for it but I would suggest a 9mm or 38.

-Make sure it fits your hand...if it's too small or to big then you just won't be able to grip it properly, I tried firing my aunts tiny little pocket 380. this past 4th of July and it damn near flew out of my hand.

-Used weapons are a good thing, try and have someone there who is a little more experienced if your buying from a private owner tho, things to look for in a well taken care of pistol would be, The feed ramp isn't dirty or scratched and everything is tight on the frame so it doesn't rattle

-Make sure and test the trigger pull! if the trigger pulls back two fucking inches before it fires then your quick fire accuracy is gonna go down the toilet

-If you really have your heart set on a 45. then I would suggest an M1911A1(LOVE this weapon)

-PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE! If think just having a pistol makes you safe then YOU are no longer safe for those around you. Go to the range and practice with your new pistol till you can hit a head sized target from a good 20 yards

Last edited:
wouldn't buying a used gun put you at risk of getting a gun thats been used in a crime?

It must not be that big of an issue, every gun store I've ever been to sells used guns. Even if it was used in a crime, I'm not sure how that would effect you. Unless, you also use it to commit a crime and those two crimes were linked though some sort of ballistic analysis.
For $500 you can get a very good gun, especially if you go for a used gun. Glock, Taurus, S&W, CZ would for sure all have guns in that price range.
Oh yeah, skip the HiPoint.

It must not be that big of an issue, every gun store I've ever been to sells used guns. Even if it was used in a crime, I'm not sure how that would effect you. Unless, you also use it to commit a crime and those two crimes were linked though some sort of ballistic analysis.
For $500 you can get a very good gun, especially if you go for a used gun. Glock, Taurus, S&W, CZ would for sure all have guns in that price range.

I could easily spend 1000 I have disposable income now,I was looking at a five seven but I think cali is think of banning them, I guess I'll get a glock 19 9mm and a glock 26 9mm or a Springfield XD 9 mm

I'n hitting the range tomorrow =^) I feel giddy like homer in that video^^^^^

I could easily spend 1000 I have disposable income now,I was looking at a five seven but I think cali is think of banning them, I guess I'll get a glock 19 9mm and a glock 26 9mm or a Springfield XD 9 mm

There are a lot of opinions about the five se7en, but the ammo is really, really expensive. If you're getting 2 guns, get the Glocks. The mags are interchangable and they'll shoot the same, or reasonably so anyway.

One other thing to consider...

.45 ACP is going to limit the number of rounds you have available. The newer .40 S&W round is making a run at the .45's reign as king of the self defense rounds. If you look at the terminal ballistics for the .45 ACP and the .40 S&W in high quality self defense and law enforcement ammunition, you'll note that most of the .40 S&W rounds now outperform their .45 ACP counterparts. These rounds provide the same or better stopping power in a smaller cartridge that allows for about 4 more rounds in the same size weapon (generally speaking). While the .40 S&W round is not as cheap as 9mm, it is generally cheaper than .45 ACP still.

As for the pistol itself, I shoot a Glock very well, but I find that I don't like the way it feels in my hand. As a result, I opted to go with the Springfield XDm in .40 S&W because the gun feels fabulous in my hand. You need to also consider whether or not you want a full size, compact or sub compact. This is often determined by your intent to carry concealed or not.

All in all, I'd highly recommend that you attend at least one gun show before you buy so that you can feel all of the different brands. Find one that feels the most comfortable to your hand, that points naturally, and that you can operate efficiently.

One other thing to consider...

.45 ACP is going to limit the number of rounds you have available. The newer .40 S&W round is making a run at the .45's reign as king of the self defense rounds. If you look at the terminal ballistics for the .45 ACP and the .40 S&W in high quality self defense and law enforcement ammunition, you'll note that most of the .40 S&W rounds now outperform their .45 ACP counterparts. These rounds provide the same or better stopping power in a smaller cartridge that allows for about 4 more rounds in the same size weapon (generally speaking). While the .40 S&W round is not as cheap as 9mm, it is generally cheaper than .45 ACP still.

As for the pistol itself, I shoot a Glock very well, but I find that I don't like the way it feels in my hand. As a result, I opted to go with the Springfield XDm in .40 S&W because the gun feels fabulous in my hand. You need to also consider whether or not you want a full size, compact or sub compact. This is often determined by your intent to carry concealed or not.

All in all, I'd highly recommend that you attend at least one gun show before you buy so that you can feel all of the different brands. Find one that feels the most comfortable to your hand, that points naturally, and that you can operate efficiently.

Hell, defensive 9mm loads are already doing their jobs, I don't think going up to .40 S&W is entirely necessary, especially considering that the .45 ACP Glocks are heavier and generally softer shooting than their .40 S&W counterparts. I think the popularity of the .40 S&W in law enforcement is still ingrained in old Dogma regarding the relationship between stopping power and calibre and that good 9mm defensive loads are more than adequate in most self defense applications.

I kind of follow Rob Leatham's rationale regarding the 9mm and .45 ACP, though it isn't applicable here in Canada since all Glocks only carry 10 rounds and lethal force for self defense is virtually never justified anyways, but I'll discuss what little I know for the sake of the thread. I agree with Leatham because he believes that the .40 S&W is a compromised cartridge and aside from the popularity and availability of the round, most shooters are better off choosing either "big bullets" or "a lot of bullets" depending on which they're more comfortable shooting. If you shoot a 9mm better, don't feel like less of a man or anything, calibre debates between full power, defensive rounds is dick measuring for the most part, and when the shit hits the fan, how well you place your shots is often more important than what you shot at your target.

Man i'd love to be able to have a shotgun legally for home defense or whatever, you guys don't know how lucky you are.

I like Glocks low maintenance and reliable. I'm lazy and don't like to clean my guns too often so glock is for me for that and other reasons though I just have a 9mm glock 17......=)

Heckler Koch is the only way to roll. .45 or .40 (the recoil reduction system is awesome), so it doesn't kick like many .45's

you'll be the envy of the glock loyalists at the range. I don't like glocks myself (the angle of the handle for one, and the trigger is mushy to me)

If you pony up the xtra dough for the HK, you'll have something you will treasure the rest of your life, if you buy something else, you'll just have something you like OK

my .02

Plus the bill of sale would show when you aquired the gun so save that and you can prove that you didn't own the gun for the time of the given crime DONE AND DONE

Back