first handgun

Go to a gun shop that rents guns and has a range. Try out several in your price range and find out which one(s) you're most comfortable with.

But if you're looking at a .45 semi-auto, check out Glocks, Springfield XDs, S&W M&P, etc.

I agree. It is much more fun to rent a gun. It's like test driving a car. This way you get to see what she will be like after a bit of use. Plus you don't want to go out and find a gun just to figure out it doesn't feel right.

There's the Sig P220 Carry
sig_p220_carry_black.jpg

Or the Beretta Px4 Storm
121_elenco.jpg

A 9mm, it is your first hand gun, and you live in a urban setting. a .45 is overkill in an urban area.

Well I'm glad I found this thread. I will be purchasing my first gun next week. I have decided to go with the Taurus PT-92 17rd 9MM. I am getting it for self-defense as my girl and I are expecting our son in 4 more weeks. I'll take it to the range plenty often as to get proficient but I am pleased with my choice. Also TS, you should take a look at this gun because it's priced at $450-500 which happens to be your exact price range.

taurus_92ss.jpg

I really wanna get a pistol. I know the chances are slim but so are the chances of your house catching on fire but you still need a smoke alarm and fire extinguisher.

A .45 Will go throw a few walls if you miss, if the guy is living in an apartment I wouldn't want to have a .45 and miss. I don't know what the fuck you don't understand about that?

If I where to chose a weapon for home self defense in an urban area it would be a 9mm or a shotgun.

A .45 Will go throw a few walls if you miss, if the guy is living in an apartment I wouldn't want to have a .45 and miss. I don't know what the fuck you don't understand about that?

If I where to chose a weapon for home self defense in an urban area it would be a 9mm or a shotgun.

9mm has more penetration than the 45. The shotgun will penetrate less (assuming 00 buck and not slugs), but it will still penetrate interior walls.

9mm has more penetration than the 45. The shotgun will penetrate less (assuming 00 buck and not slugs), but it will still penetrate interior walls.

Chances of getting killed by a shotgun buckshot load when you are on the other side of a (normal) wall are very slims.

Chances of getting killed by a shotgun buckshot load when you are on the other side of a (normal) wall are very slims.

Do you mean by lack of penetration? 00 buckshot at home defense range will easily penetrate through a normal interior wall.

IMO if you're going to get a plastic (polymer) gun, at least get a Glock. You can get used glock 17 in good condition for < $400.

And for those that don't like the Glock grip angle?

Last edited:

That's incorrect.

Shotgun/Pistol penetration in interior walls will easily penetrate 4+ walls, We've simulated this on the range before with ballistic gel.

You need a round light enough to lose velocity exponentially upon penetration of media but still effective enough to end the fight.

Hornady TAP in 5.56 in any weight offered is effective and has good penetration/deflection characteristics for inside the home.

Honestly, do the research for yourself as many others have done. If you can be sure of what lies on the other side of a wall when engaging a threat indoors then by all means. My kids rooms are both in the direct line of fire for egress.

Also - get training on handling defensive firearms use in the home, and at night - your defensive firearms should have an option for a mounted light with a pressure based switch or you should be used to shooting a pistol in various lighting tactics (harries, fbi, indexed) and overcoming some difficulties new low-light shooters have with such techniques (using the light as a utility light, thinking that your rounds will impact on the center of your white light etc).

There's so much mis-information in this thread about penetration it's somewhat scary.

Also for first time buyers, keep in mind that the learning curve on a DA/SA handgun (to become proficient) is somewhat higher.

Do yourself a favor and schedule a time for a professional level 3 day pistol course (about $400 or so) as well.

Day 1 will be shattering your ego about how good you thought you were and from there building you up to a much better level than before.

Last edited:
And for those that don't like the Glock handle angle?

If you're set on a polymer gun the big three right now are glock, xd, and M&P from springfield.

I prefer these myself -

XD has a 1911 grip angle but a higher bore axis
Glock has an extremely low bore axis but more rake in the grip angle.
M&P are a good middle ground.

Everyone is different.

I needed something in between full size and compact with a lower bore axis...then again - I have 2/3 of the ones above, I just had to grind the grooves off and stipple them as they didn't match my fingers on the glock 19:

g19_stipple001.jpg

XDService002.jpg

S/W 357 revolver. No pistol can match its reliability or stopping power. Statistically proven.

Get a glock 19. 45's are freakin' expensive to shoot right now. I just blew like 80 bucks on a measly 200 rounds!

Glocks are at their best in 9mm. You can practice cheaper and get good, because most people suck with a pistol.

M&P's and HK's are good also.

Stay away from super cheap 1911's or XD's. XD's don't get no love from serious firearm trainers for a good reason...

And for those that don't like the Glock grip angle?

They should still stop crying and get a glock, in 9mm.

The grip angle is not an issue, do enough press-outs with it and instant sight alignment becomes second nature.

It is likely not the actual grip angle that people are bitching about, I believe it's boxy grip feel that bothers their soft moisturized hands...

How a gun feels does not really do shit for one's shooting, glocks ergos are pretty good as are most modern pistols.

With a 9mm glock one gets:

Cheap

Reliable (big fan of their extractor spring set up)

Durable (150,000 + rounds)

Easy parts replacement

Low bore/grip axis for easier shootin'

IMO a pretty nice short trigger pull with a positive reset.

Glock, the modern day peacemaker! Used by lawmen and outlaws alike!

S/W 357 revolver. No pistol can match its reliability or stopping power. Statistically proven.

That's pretty funny. So why doesn't anyone I give a rat's ass about use them anymore?

Edit: if you're an unsafe idiot then the glock is probably not for you. Plenty of cops have shot themselves when disassembling their weapons. The trigger must be pulled for disassembly...

Last edited:
Back