First BJJ class...

rjackson89

White Belt
Reaction score
I have my first BJJ class tomorrow morning. I'm training with Team Link out of Ludlow,MA. Marco Alvan and Gabriel Gonzaga(UFC) are the head instructors. Paulo Filho (WEC) also trains there on occasion.

Is there anything I should be aware of for my first class or a heads up on? I'm pretty excited to start.

Here's their website:

Team Link Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

just go in with an open mind, be relaxed and ask as many questions as you can about techniques and theory.

Check your ego at the door and tap often. No sense in getting hurt by not tapping when you should. Get ready to be sore....keep lots of bananas on hand and make sure you drink lots of water. :icon_chee

Check your ego at the door and tap often. No sense in getting hurt by not tapping when you should. Get ready to be sore....keep lots of bananas on hand and make sure you drink lots of water. :icon_chee

Yea, I stopped by the their training center last week, and everyone was down to earth. I watched part of a class. Lot's of tapping, and lots of water being drank.

I've been there before, small place but great friendly guys.

go in there and bitch slap Gabriel Gonzaga in the face. Then announce that YOU are the masta!

I was there for a Jacare seminar, but they were very welcoming to people from other schools. Theres no better place in Western Mass for BJJ, so you don't really have any alternatives.

Know that you're going to suck.
Know that you're not as fit as you think you are.
Don't be a spaz.

I know a few guys who train there, I hear good things.

If they allow you to roll on your first day, just relax and remember to breath. Be open minded and tap if you need to.

Remember to hydrate properly before hand too, bring water as well.

Try to introduce yourself to as many people as possible within the first couple times you go. Knowing your training partners well makes the experience all the more enjoyable.

I know a few guys who train there, I hear good things.

If they allow you to roll on your first day, just relax and remember to breath. Be open minded and tap if you need to.

Remember to hydrate properly before hand too, bring water as well.

Try to introduce yourself to as many people as possible within the first couple times you go. Knowing your training partners well makes the experience all the more enjoyable.

Thanks so much for the information!! Yeah, the beginners classes are usually at night, but I talked with Marco because I work 2nd shift and I'm unable to train at night, so he said it'd be fine if I start morning classes. I'm excited.

Thanks so much for the information!! Yeah, the beginners classes are usually at night, but I talked with Marco because I work 2nd shift and I'm unable to train at night, so he said it'd be fine if I start morning classes. I'm excited.

You're welcome, hope you enjoy it.

Wear a cup and a mouthpiece.

Focus on position, not submissions. The one thing you really do not want to do is "spaz" and hurt someone; you're much less likely to do this trying to pass guard than attempting an armbar. There is PLENTY to learn in position work alone, you won't get bored.

Try to relax and think when you're on the bottom, or you will gas in sixty seconds.

Remember that the only way you "lose" a training roll is if you don't learn anything. If you get caught, tap, and ask how not to get caught the same way next time.

Remember to thank your training partners when they take the time to explain technique to you. It's nice of them to do so.

Practice excellent hygene. Wash yourself and your kit as soon as possible after practice.

i cant believe no one says just enjoy it

everyone starts somewhere -- listen to what your taught and have fun

I just got back from my first class and it went really well. Everyone there are very nice guys, who helped break down everything for me.

I did some basic drills, arm bar techniques and so forth. They didn't let me roll today, but I got to watch them roll for 3 five minute rounds. I'm definitly going to stick with it.

Does anyone have any BJJ drills I can practice on my own when I'm home, so I can get better at certain things?

Back