Finishing the Armbar when getting stacked?

triso

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am constantly getting the armbar from the guard, but not finishing it. I think I may not be setting it up correctly, but usually my opponents defend by stacking me.

As I get the armbar on them and begin to crank, they usually drive there weight down into my legs, and I can't create enough space to finish. I am usually forced to recover guard because of this.

I think I may be trying to power them off to much with my legs, trying to press them off of me to create the space. Maybe I should be shifting my position or hips, I'm not sure.

when you get stacked up like that, rather than fighting to straighten out an armbar while they are standing up, grab underneath their knee and push them over your legs (while still holding on to the trapped arm) while pulling up and over with the arm that has their leg behind the knee and sweep them so you can finish the arm bar with them on their back.

Sounds like your setup could use some work. When you're on your back and have the arm between your legs and start cranking for the armbar, you won't have the right leverage to finish if your opponent has already stood up and has started to shift his center of gravity. Of course he'll try to stack you to defend...but if his mass has already started moving forward over you to stack you, you'll have a very difficult time extending your legs back to get the leverage to armbar him...

Once you've trapped his arm with your arm, and you've shifted your hips and opened your guard, make sure you move your calf and bend your leg(the one on his upper back) to really immobilize his upper body before you swing your other leg over his head. Take a big "bite" with that leg, high up on his back, with your thigh as high in his armpit as possible. Use your one hand (the one NOT trapping his arm) to push hard against his head and neck...push it away from you (which will also prevent him from pushing TOWARDS you to start the stack) just before you swing your free leg over his head. Make your attack nice and smooth so you don't telegraph it to him.

Pretty basic advice...just keep practicing and your success rate will go up for sure.

Use a flower sweep.

Instead of finishing the arm bar. Take the same arm that you ar attacking, by the gi. Pull it through as hard as you can and take the guys back.

The reason you cant finish is because you cant extend your body. There is no magic trick to let you extend, so just take his back get your 4 points and begin to attack from there.

One thing I find that works, is if the guy is stacking you, roll your upper body so that, instead of being on your back, you're on your stomach, face down.

I wish I could explain this or had pictures because I just learned a really nice counter. You put your inside arm around the leg and circle your body out and end up finishing while you are on your stomach. If anybody knows what I am talking about

see Bustamante's fight in the last bushido, the other japanese guy-not minowa. fightseeker.com

DMcKayBJJ said:
Once you've trapped his arm with your arm, and you've shifted your hips and opened your guard, make sure you move your calf and bend your leg(the one on his upper back) to really immobilize his upper body before you swing your other leg over his head. Take a big "bite" with that leg, high up on his back, with your thigh as high in his armpit as possible. Use your one hand (the one NOT trapping his arm) to push hard against his head and neck...push it away from you (which will also prevent him from pushing TOWARDS you to start the stack) just before you swing your free leg over his head. Make your attack nice and smooth so you don't telegraph it to him.

Perfect.

If your execution of the above doesn't go as planned then:
Commissar said:
...roll your upper body so that, instead of being on your back, you're on your stomach, face down.

..or:
Gsoares2 said:
Instead of finishing the arm bar. Take the same arm that you ar attacking, by the gi. Pull it through as hard as you can and take the guys back.

^^^^i.e. armdrag to back.

...and if the opportunity presents itself:
Suberbeast said:
Use a flower sweep.

Damn. Only 8 posts in and the grappling forum has nailed it again. I love this place.

Thanks, that was extremely informative. Thanks BB for the chronological order.

Yeah, that sums it all up. If you can't get it after that, then just keep rolling... You'll figure it out eventually (or you'll get away fro teh slippery prick that keeps stuffing your attempt!)

This advice is ace, I have the same problem. Thanks for all the great tips!!!

Flower sweep? Sorry if it's basic, but more info or link to demonstration please?

I second the flower sweep question, and I have yet another basic question -- which is the hand that is not trapping the arm, and that you should use to push the head? Is it the hand on the side of the leg that is on the back, or the hand on the side of the leg that is on the head?

Thanks ...

I've had terrible neck problems from being stacked so much going for the AB in guard.
The main thing I've started doing is getting them really off balance before I commit to it.
If he's going to stack me I go back to guard.
I.e- If I'm going for his right arm, I kick my R leg HARD under his L armpit.
I used to always hip out the other way, which just invited the stack.
That probably made no sense at all aye?

I say go for the sweep I dont know the name of it but the flower sweep like someone said is prolly it or do the sweep and make me land on there back whil you still hold the arm then finish or if there stacking technique is wack then omoplata

beat the stack first, Basically you have to straighten out your body.

enough to make him fall on his back, or counter the stack
you go under him and finish it on your belly.

Either way your body is straight.
You never let them stack you, strong guy can submit your there.

Sweeping into a straight armbar it usually works unless your opponent is a lot stronger or knows its coming.

Don't try to straighten the armbar while he's stacking you, it'll get you tired. Hold on tight to the arm and

1.) Sweep him. It's easier to finish it, when he's on his back.

2.) Roll over to your stomach (Fedor vs. Coleman, watch the vid.)

or

3.) Transition to a triangle.

Back