PlayStation Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

Yep I'm hoping for 6 as well. At the same time I never got to play 9 which I've heard is really good so I hope that happens as well.
I got pretty far in 9 but aesthetically didn’t find it appealing. Story was decent, characters are done well. For some reason it just didn’t do anything for me. Where as 6 I’ve bought like 3 separate times physically and digitally . FF6 was my introduction to rpg’s as well as Breath of Fire ( another square Enix game) in FF6 I could eventually get the Shadow and in BoF 2 you could get Chun Li as a playable party member . Lost lots of hours playing those games

Seems like SE has been doing good at delivering both.
I disagree, they've been doing a terrible job. This is recency bias at work because they finally did a great thing by releasing both XVI and Rebirth within a year.

2009 FFXIII releases
2016 FFXV releases (not even a finished game)
2023 FFXVI releases

These are the three last new single player FF games. There's just way too much time between these releases. I think having multiple teams working on new mainline titles would be awesome but doing remake after remake takes a lot of resources away. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy 7 Remake but to me the OG will always be the best and I get way more excited for new stuff.

Only 5 hours in, just haven't had any time to play this. So far it's okay..... been doing a lot of running around the Grasslands. I hate how often I get stuck on something while moving around the field. That's been my biggest annoyance so far. The characters themselves are great and I love the banter between them. The combat has been heavily improved. My biggest disappointment is the lack of story so far. It feels like nothing has happened. Rebirth was story event, story event, story event so it's quite jarring going to this which has barely advanced the plot. I'm sure I'll love it a lot more once that kicks in, just not a huge fan of open world activities and mini-games. This might end up being a mixed-bag for me by the end. Hope I'm wrong. Just giving my honest first impressions.

I disagree, they've been doing a terrible job. This is recency bias at work because they finally did a great thing by releasing both XVI and Rebirth within a year.

2009 FFXIII releases
2016 FFXV releases (not even a finished game)
2023 FFXVI releases

These are the three last new single player FF games. There's just way too much time between these releases. I think having multiple teams working on new mainline titles would be awesome but doing remake after remake takes a lot of resources away. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy 7 Remake but to me the OG will always be the best and I get way more excited for new stuff.

Well I include Remake in there as well. So I'd have it.

FF7 Remake: 2020
FF16 2023
FF7 Rebirth 2024

That's a good three games right there. I think they made some changes in regards to Final Fantasy after 15 but I could be wrong. I thought I remember reading about someone else taking over.

Only 5 hours in, just haven't had any time to play this. So far it's okay..... been doing a lot of running around the Grasslands. I hate how often I get stuck on something while moving around the field. That's been my biggest annoyance so far. The characters themselves are great and I love the banter between them. The combat has been heavily improved. My biggest disappointment is the lack of story so far. It feels like nothing has happened. Rebirth was story event, story event, story event so it's quite jarring going to this which has barely advanced the plot. I'm sure I'll love it a lot more once that kicks in, just not a huge fan of open world activities and mini-games. This might end up being a mixed-bag for me by the end. Hope I'm wrong. Just giving my honest first impressions.

Yea that was my thoughts as well as far as the story. That's kind of why I started just started going straight through the main story. I suggest you do the same. Open world games can be fun but a lot of them I just skip all the side stuff and play the main story. I do think the side quest are worth doing.

I got deep enough for the story to open up though and now I've stopped and went back to do side quest and even some of the open world stuff. Tons of mini games in this one though and a lot of them forced on you.

After 99 and a half hours, I have finished the game. It's among the greatest I've played.

For the people in here that have finished it already I have a very spoiler heavy review. DO NOT READ if you don't want the entire ending spoiled for you.

The game was absolutely unbelievable... right up until the final chapter, chapter 14. I legitimately thought it was a 9.5/10 up until that point.

But then that final chapter hit, man. I'm so thoroughly, utterly disappointed in how they handled the Aerith moment. It's a bit of the same as the end of Remake, but x3. What an absolutely disgraceful, convoluted, unnecessary clusterfuck of an ending. It really made my overall score of the game drop a full point. These Japanese just can't stop being Japanese with those completely unnecessary cosmic space jazz multiverse obnoxious ass narratives. It was really, really bad.

Of course we kind of knew stuff like this was going to happen but they really doubled down on the multiverse shit. It's such utterly lazy writing, a get out of jail free card whenever a writer has written himself into a corner.

The ONLY redemption I see possible is if Cloud, screwed up in the head as he is, is hallucinating Aerith due to him being a Sephiroth clone.

How the fuck are you gonna kill off a character and then have her STILL have a shitload of dialogue as some kind of funky Star Wars style Force Ghost? She was alive, then she's dead, oh here's a hour long boss fight with EIGHT FUCKING PHASES right after one of the main characters was killed off. Oh now she's "alive" again and joining your party for the final phase of the boss.

Allright, we beat the boss. What happens now? Ah never mind turns out she's just a ghost and after a cute little moment with Cloud she evaporates again. Back into the "real world" we go. Seems like the party is grieving. But what did they do with the body? Did they just leave it lying there on the altar? OG FF7 had a very intense emotional moment where they put her body to rest in the water. Why is that not in? Oh there she is and she's smiling and talking to Cloud! Ah never mind the rest of the party can't see her.

They leave and now they're in a grassy field, mostly grieving. Aerith's there! But again only Cloud can see her. Oh wait never mind she pets Red XIII and he's like "Aerith?"

Like for real, my face the entire chapter 14 was like this

<mma3>

Absolute Game of Thrones levels of story "ending" fuck-uppery. What a farce. Fuck this. It was almost too good to be true, I guess.

After 99 and a half hours, I have finished the game. It's among the greatest I've played.

For the people in here that have finished it already I have a very spoiler heavy review. DO NOT READ if you don't want the entire ending spoiled for you.

The game was absolutely unbelievable... right up until the final chapter, chapter 14. I legitimately thought it was a 9.5/10 up until that point.

But then that final chapter hit, man. I'm so thoroughly, utterly disappointed in how they handled the Aerith moment. It's a bit of the same as the end of Remake, but x3. What an absolutely disgraceful, convoluted, unnecessary clusterfuck of an ending. It really made my overall score of the game drop a full point. These Japanese just can't stop being Japanese with those completely unnecessary cosmic space jazz multiverse obnoxious ass narratives. It was really, really bad.

Of course we kind of knew stuff like this was going to happen but they really doubled down on the multiverse shit. It's such utterly lazy writing, a get out of jail free card whenever a writer has written himself into a corner.

The ONLY redemption I see possible is if Cloud, screwed up in the head as he is, is hallucinating Aerith due to him being a Sephiroth clone.

How the fuck are you gonna kill off a character and then have her STILL have a shitload of dialogue as some kind of funky Star Wars style Force Ghost? She was alive, then she's dead, oh here's a hour long boss fight with EIGHT FUCKING PHASES right after one of the main characters was killed off. Oh now she's "alive" again and joining your party for the final phase of the boss.

Allright, we beat the boss. What happens now? Ah never mind turns out she's just a ghost and after a cute little moment with Cloud she evaporates again. Back into the "real world" we go. Seems like the party is grieving. But what did they do with the body? Did they just leave it lying there on the altar? OG FF7 had a very intense emotional moment where they put her body to rest in the water. Why is that not in? Oh there she is and she's smiling and talking to Cloud! Ah never mind the rest of the party can't see her.

They leave and now they're in a grassy field, mostly grieving. Aerith's there! But again only Cloud can see her. Oh wait never mind she pets Red XIII and he's like "Aerith?"

Like for real, my face the entire chapter 14 was like this

<mma3>

Absolute Game of Thrones levels of story "ending" fuck-uppery. What a farce. Fuck this. It was almost too good to be true, I guess.
I'm pretty sure Aeris is still dead.

I'm pretty sure Aeris is still dead.
Oh she definitely is. My point was more, and I might have not articulated this clearly, that the entire scene was unnecesarily convoluted and completely robbed of all its emotional significance. Bar like a couple seconds when the materia hit the altar floor, the scene just did NOTHING for me. It's like they tried their hardest to remove as much emotional weight as possible and distract you from what had actually happened.

Made a ton of progress. Got all side quest cleaned up. Region 3 took much longer than I would have thought for the side quest. Fourth was pretty easy. One of them in Region 4 was really cool involving Barret.

I might go back and do those special item things as well in each region. I feel like that leads to a good pay off. I still haven't done anything with Chadley. I tried the VR with Aerith and Tifa one time at the start of the game and never went back.

Just got Alexander and I’m just finishing off Johnnys quest finally. The King Tonberry wasn’t that bad of a battle on normal mode. I just had The Yuffster equipped with the thief gloves . Her pressure build is insane and her ninjitsu ability is handy .

Now I gotta try and master Cait Sith. He’s actually pretty fun with his roll the dice ability and fortune teller . Him summoning his rideable moogle makes me pop everytime especially when he uses drop kick. Everytime he speaks all I can think of is Billy Boyd the actor from the LOTR lol

Do you get the highwind in this? I think in the original you get it in disc 2

Preordered the OST off CDJapan.co.jp. Love that website, always like 30 dollars cheaper than anywhere else. Yeah you pay international shipping but even then I still save money and they’ve been reliable getting stuff to me on launch day. Highly recommend them if you guys collect gaming soundtracks

About 15 hours in and clearing the Junon area. I'm really enjoying it as it does the open world thing well. Not sure if I'm loving it so much because all the open world mechanics or because its a refresh of my favorite game of all time.

The open world is pretty standard fare with nothing new, the story is familiar but early game so nothing really exciting yet, but the nostalgia is off the charts. Everytime I fire it up, I just let the music play for a minute and just let the feels roll in.

I will say that I liked the weapon sphere upgrade system from the remake better than what's in Rebirth. I'm still early so I haven't been able to unlock much of the customization so it could get a lot better.

Back