PlayStation Official Final Fantasy XVI Discussion

I know there was a blip about it, but has there been any more mention of a PC release?

I really liked 13's battle system. It gets better in 13-2.

13-2 was more enjoyable than 13. I really liked the monster mechanics. In fact I'm disappointed that there's no way to play he FFXIII series on the PS5. They were far from my favorites but I find myself wanting to replay them. The stagger system was a great addition and I'm glad we are getting it back in FFXVI.

Jesus Christ, I didn't realize how insane the FF community is. On Twitter and Reddit some people are losing their minds over the decisions behind the gameplay. Personally I find it to be a natural progression of the series, it always felt like the game was getting closer to being an action title beginning with the introduction of ATB and then even more so with games like FF13 and FF15 making it feel more actiony with combos and stuff.

I've been a fan of this series since 7 on the OG PlayStation and I just think the whole community is overacting. One of the main reasons this franchise has survived so long is because every game has been radically different from the last and that has prevented people from burning out on it.

I hope the game does really well in sales. I like this direction they are going in. I don't mind them mixing it up again in 17 and going back to a more traditional style but coming from someone who loves action games and kaiju movies this is like the perfect game for me.
Can you share some of the bigger change-ups in store for XVI, Zaz?

Can you share some of the bigger change-ups in store for XVI, Zaz?

Its basically going to be a 35-40 hour character action game. There's mainly two major criticism from a loud but vocal minority.

1) The gameplay is deviating too far from the series. Most games have either been turn based where you can wait as long as possible to complete your turn or ATB which is still considered turn based but now there's some pressure to complete your turn faster or else the enemies can attack several times before you get an attack off. FF7 was ATB and FFX was TB.

2) There's no team members. This is kind of true, Clive will be the only character you have control over. Jill, Cid, and Torgal will periodically join your team but they will be NPCs.

I think its okay for FF to change things up, that's what they are known for. I do think its unfair for people to say Yoshida hates the FF franchise. The critics fail to mention all of the following.

FFXIV is a huge love letter to the entire franchise which he had a major hand in.

FFXVI is going to be a return to a medieval setting

There's a huge focus on the summons (eikons in this game) and crystals which have been a huge part of the FF legacy.

Chocobos, marlboros, coeurls, ,moogles, behemoths, have all been confirmed in either trailers or interviews which are staple enemies in the series.

Its a true Final Fantasy game at least in my opinion from what I've watched and read, its just that some fans think FF's entire identity is in its gameplay and I don't think so based on all the other reasons I mentioned.

You can give commands to Torgal unless you have the accessory that puts him on auto. By the looks of it he can heal you and do attacks

Its basically going to be a 35-40 hour character action game. There's mainly two major criticism from a loud but vocal minority.

1) The gameplay is deviating too far from the series. Most games have either been turn based where you can wait as long as possible to complete your turn or ATB which is still considered turn based but now there's some pressure to complete your turn faster or else the enemies can attack several times before you get an attack off. FF7 was ATB and FFX was TB.

2) There's no team members. This is kind of true, Clive will be the only character you have control over. Jill, Cid, and Torgal will periodically join your team but they will be NPCs.

I think its okay for FF to change things up, that's what they are known for. I do think its unfair for people to say Yoshida hates the FF franchise. The critics fail to mention all of the following.

FFXIV is a huge love letter to the entire franchise which he had a major hand in.

FFXVI is going to be a return to a medieval setting

There's a huge focus on the summons (eikons in this game) and crystals which have been a huge part of the FF legacy.

Chocobos, marlboros, coeurls, ,moogles, behemoths, have all been confirmed in either trailers or interviews which are staple enemies in the series.

Its a true Final Fantasy game at least in my opinion from what I've watched and read, its just that some fans think FF's entire identity is in its gameplay and I don't think so based on all the other reasons I mentioned.
Can't wait to see the behemoths. For all the issues FFXV had, one of the coolest things ever was seeing those things in their realized glory. It'll be fun/scary to see a new-generation model of a Malboro as well.
I remember there was an uproar about the lack of diversity and Yoshida basically said "sorry, what we've made, we've made." Did that change or did people just tire themselves out and move on?
Square can really bring it when they're focused. They rallied like I'd never imagined for IX, and now I'm officially hyped for this. I saw a trailer a long time ago and the impression that I got was that it was generic, but more and more I like what I'm seeing.

New gameplay footage although very brief. Shows Torgal in action against a scorpion looking enemy.

This is the only thing that's a real bummer to me. One of my favorite parts of Final Fantasy and RPGs in general are party interactions and character development/building. I enjoy RPGs where you have a party even if it's just one other person generally way more than solo games or games where you just have a companion join for a little bit. Especially in a series like Final Fantasy that has a history of great party members.

That said, still excited for the game and will be a day 1 buy easily.

Clive will age throughout the game. He's shown here in his teens, twenties, and thirties. That's one good looking dude!

FsFdWUOacAEjRF6

Trailer showing off some of the world. There's a lot more videos out there but PAX's internet cut out during the stream so it will take time for the rest to get loaded. It was seriously epic! Game is shaping up to be something special.

Full stream is now up. Enjoy.

Updated with links to each trailer, just clicked the colored marked times. Let's face it, that's what we are all here for.

11:14 New Story Trailer - Titan Lost is HUUUUUGE
15:44 World Exploration Trailer - Shows off different locations in Valisthea
24:39 New Combat Trailer - Features a ton of new eikon abilities. Some of these look really sick.
30:19 Open field gameplay - Shows how you can use rings to make the game easier if you're struggling
1:00:14 New Eikon Battle Trailer - Yoshi P addresses those who were concerned about there being too many QTE during these fights. He stated that Clive gets more control over Ifrit as the game progresses, you'll be able to move a lot faster with him and have new moves.

Last edited:
Anyone getting the Collector's Edition? It's on the Square page right now, but it's $350.00

The game has gone gold!

Mastered up today #FF16 ! Both the staff and Torgal are delighted. Please look forward to the release date

The game has gone gold!

Man, the polish on this game has me so excited. When was the last FF game that didn't struggle in development? I'm feeling more and more confident this thing hits 90+ on Metacritic.

Finally had chance to watch the state of play on the game, even though they are two different types of game there is a few similarities to stuff from 14 which made me smile plus Sokens soundtrack so far is up there with some of his work on 14.

Follow the tweet for more pictures. Art is on point.

I'm so confused by this. Titan has a weapon? I wonder if this is just for the art or he'll actually have a scene of him picking up something like this. Maybe it is a shield to defend from Odin's sword? No clue but looks cool.

FvIUvTGaQAIrO2h

The game is going to be Game Informers next cover game, they'll have 24 articles upcoming on the game

Back