• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Films where the Director was the problem

Tim Burton for Charlie and Chocolate factory. A movie that probably should have never been made featured a lead in Johnny Depp who acted as though he was trying to simplify the complicated character that was Willy Wonka. Burton's loyalty to his friend--Depp-- and his predictable and bland style that has been his signature since this film really made this movie one of the worst remakes of all time.

Speaking of Burton, Joel Shoemaker took a cash cow franchise and drove it into the ground with his ego and unwillingness to learn about the batman series beyond the 60's show. Shoemaker made overly campy and silly versions of a series that was up to that point dark and serious. His two films Batman Forever and Batman and Robin were horrifically directed with the the Batman and Robin being the reason for a long break in the series despite both his films earning profits.

Nia DaCosta for Candyman 2021. This was just a cash grab that played on hot button political issues missing the entire point of the original movie. A frustrating watch that was directed like an edgy film school student look for approval for how many current social issues they can include in a film. A horrid remake that should have never been done. Jordan Peele deserves some blame for this as well but he wasn't behind the camera so Nia is going to take the heat for this piece of shit.

McG

"Terminator Salvation"

You get friggin' Christian Bale as John Connor, and the future war scenario everyone wanted, and you go and hire that hack to fuck it all up.
This is a really good one, because I believe that entire fiasco where Christian Bale blew up and yelled at the cinematographer for 10 minutes straight was all McG's fault.

A director is the boss on the set. He needs to take charge of what's happening. So if the cinematographer was messing with the lights during Bale's emotional scene, then McG needs to pull him aside and tell him to stop.

But McG ignores it over and over until Bale is so fed up that he explodes.

Then after yelling at the guy, Bale asks McG what he thinks and McG says, "I didn't see it." And walks away. Like he didn't want to get in the middle of it.

Motherfucker it's your JOB to get in the middle of it. Smooth things over, apologize for letting it get to that point in the first place, and lay down some ground rules to prevent tempers from flaring up again. Directing takes some leadership skills and that fucker was so cowardly in that situation it makes me sick.

The least he could've done after everyone was judging Bale would be to come out publicly and tell people it was his fault, not Bale's. But instead he let's Christian Bale take all the heat and negative publicity. What a fucking pussy.

To be fair I don't think the film is terribly directed, its just very mundane with a director adding little to an already not very inspired script.
I think it is. The script is mostly fine, if not a bit predictable. The movie in general is just flat and bland. It's got everything you could hope for, but the way it's delivered is so incredibly lazy and stock. It feels like a movie created by AI. Completely lifeless.
Honestly I feel T3 maybe worse directed, as BisexualMMA has pointed out that film is so full of low effort bland daytime shots that look like they should be out of some direct to cable film.
I don't agree with that, but me and him have had a few discussions on it, and I think we've decided to agree to disagree forever. LOL. T3 isn't in the same league as it's predecessors, but it still felt like a Terminator movie. It's the lesser of the three, obviously, but it still has a lot of high points that "Salvation" just didn't. It feels like a respectable third effort by a different team, that at least got the core fundamentals right. At the very least, it's got some truly great action sequences, and still had some balls, with the gore and ending on such a downer, that you felt. The leads were a bit miscast, some of the dialogue is corny, and it did basically spoof the opening sequence of T2, to the point where it feels like a comedy skit, but at the end of the day, the movie as whole is memorable. It hits the highs and lows, and by the end of it, I'm all in.

With "Salvation", I couldn't have been any more bored with all of it. It's so utterly forgettable and disappointing in every way.

Cher thought that Frank Oz was going to be a problem and had him replaced with Richard Benjamin on Mermaids. She did not like him for whatever reason.

Robert Wise had a time with The Motion Picture, dealing with Roddenberry's fantastical vision and semi-professional, often times hectic, production style. He likely clashed with Nimoy.

Nimoy would have, at minimum, kept the film well-paced (under 2 hours) and retained authentic Star Trek lighting colors/patterns, which, along with failing to reign in special effects, were Wise's key misadventures.

The Last Jedi

Sometimes I do how much of the finished product is what the director wanted. Ayer insists his directors cut of Suicide Squad is much better. I dunno, maybe it is? But does that mean he should take the blame for the final product? Hard to say. Because he could easily be full of shit.

I think it is. The script is mostly fine, if not a bit predictable. The movie in general is just flat and bland. It's got everything you could hope for, but the way it's delivered is so incredibly lazy and stock. It feels like a movie created by AI. Completely lifeless.

I don't agree with that, but me and him have had a few discussions on it, and I think we've decided to agree to disagree forever. LOL. T3 isn't in the same league as it's predecessors, but it still felt like a Terminator movie. It's the lesser of the three, obviously, but it still has a lot of high points that "Salvation" just didn't. It feels like a respectable third effort by a different team, that at least got the core fundamentals right. At the very least, it's got some truly great action sequences, and still had some balls, with the gore and ending on such a downer, that you felt. The leads were a bit miscast, some of the dialogue is corny, and it did basically spoof the opening sequence of T2, to the point where it feels like a comedy skit, but at the end of the day, the movie as whole is memorable. It hits the highs and lows, and by the end of it, I'm all in.

With "Salvation", I couldn't have been any more bored with all of it. It's so utterly forgettable and disappointing in every way.
I'd agree T3 is a better film than Salvation, mostly because it sticks closer to the established formula and has Arnie in it but I feel the direction itself probably does more to bring the film down were as Salvation just seems bland all around to me. It has some potentially interesting ideas to it but the script really does very little with them, its a classic case of an established franchise trying to get by on "geeking out", getting by on "adding to the lore" but with very little real substance.

And what does he do right out of the gate...get a Swedish guy with a heavy Swedish accent to just paste a Texan accent over the Swedish and play the commanding officer in the Pacific Theater.
You think Woo has the power to cast whomever he wants?

The Last Jedi

Sometimes I do how much of the finished product is what the director wanted. Ayer insists his directors cut of Suicide Squad is much better. I dunno, maybe it is? But does that mean he should take the blame for the final product? Hard to say. Because he could easily be full of shit.

Based on Ayer’s other movies, his Suicide Squad version was probably mediocre at best. That movie he made with Arnie was ridiculous - there was a scene where a stuntman wearing a wig pretending to be a girl. He makes crap to okay movies.

the problem is that he fell madly in love with the "Shakey cam"
I can't stand that shit.

It is SO fucking overused and just unnecessarily disorienting and annoying.

Based on Ayer’s other movies, his Suicide Squad version was probably mediocre at best. That movie he made with Arnie was ridiculous - there was a scene where a stuntman wearing a wig pretending to be a girl. He makes crap to okay movies.
Yeah, it's hard for me to imagine the movie could improve that much. Even so, it's possible there's a different version the director prefers, so is he liable for rhe crapfest tbay got releases? Probably. But it's kinda interesting to think about much much influence studios have sometimes.

Anyway, the answer to the TS' question is...

JOHN WOO.

If he had made Schindler's List it would have been 30% dove footage and 10% dudes in concentration camps jumping across the screen in slow motion with guns in both hands.
Maybe I would actually have watched it then. That’s right. I’ve never seen Schindler’s List. Fight me.

Please don’t actually fight me. I haven’t trained in months.

I think Eastwood and his Train to Paris movie come to mind...just in terms of the sheer hubris in casting people with no acting experience as the stars of the film and expecting it to work. He then failed (as anyone probably would have) in getting good performances out of them, but his overconfidence in himself in the casting process shot him in the foot.

He kind of did the same thing with the kids in Gran Torino. He knows how to direct himself for sure...but he is not a stickler for perfection in terms of doing take after take until other actors get it right. He "satisfices" and moves on because he's tired or bored and just kind of says fuck it, good enough.
Yeah, the Jake Lloyd level performances from the kids in Gran Torino is an otherwise great work's Achille's heel.

Yeah, the Jake Lloyd level performances from the kids in Gran Torino is an otherwise great work's Achille's heel.

Fix the kids and maybe have it end with a little more subtlety than a Jesus Christ pose and it would be up there with Eastwood's best movies. With those issues though I'm kind of surprised it rates so highly when people do their Eastwood polls around here, with the movie usually at or near the top of his career achievements.

Anyway Clint's individual performance was great. Nice combination of "guy learns not to be a racist" and "Death Wish lite."

David Gordon Green with the Exorcist Believer and the new Halloween trilogy. He added in so much of his random little things where they felt like completely different movies from the source material even different genres.

Back