Figuring out MAX

JUICEMAN_Canada

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I searched and didnt find anythig, is there a way to figure out what your max for any excersise is without doing it, for example if u could bench 100lbs only 6 times then fail, is there a formula to figure out your max without attempting it??

Just curious beacuse my friend says weight u can do 3 times is 80% of your max rep, but hes dumb and i dont like to listen to him lol.

thanks in advance

thanks, is it safe to test your absolute max, becaus eive heard its dangerous.

I've used "weight" X "reps" X .03 + "weight" = "max"

It's reasonably accurate (which is about all you can hope for) for reps from 3-12 or so.

You can do this on a calculator yourself (or in your head if you're good with numbers) if you're not online, which is a bit more handy than the online max calculators.

None of them are perfect, but they're useful as a training tool to see your progress between max attempts. I am certainly not of the school of thought that you must attempt a max every time you want to know your theoretical max. Even that isn't really very accurate, because if I try a max effort each day all week, I'll likely get different results each time, or a lot of fails, which in my opinion are counterproductive for CNS training,

Just my two cents.

I've used "weight" X "reps" X .03 + "weight" = "max"

It's reasonably accurate (which is about all you can hope for) for reps from 3-12 or so.

You can do this on a calculator yourself (or in your head if you're good with numbers) if you're not online, which is a bit more handy than the online max calculators.

None of them are perfect, but they're useful as a training tool to see your progress between max attempts. I am certainly not of the school of thought that you must attempt a max every time you want to know your theoretical max. Even that isn't really very accurate, because if I try a max effort each day all week, I'll likely get different results each time, or a lot of fails, which in my opinion are counterproductive for CNS training,

Just my two cents.

I just did the formula using 185 x 7, which was when I failed doing 185 (1/3 through 8th rep) last week. It told me my bench press is 223.85. I also bench pressed 240 last week. That is 16.15 lbs or about 7% off.

The moral: formulas might work for one person, but not another. You can use a calculator to find out where to start in your PR attempts, though.

personally i don't find the max conversion charts to be a very useful tool. there are so many things that could affect what your actual 1RM is- better to just think in terms of my max reps with 185 is 7 or whatever you're using.

thanks, is it safe to test your absolute max, becaus eive heard its dangerous.

picard-headesk.jpg

I just did the formula using 185 x 7, which was when I failed doing 185 (1/3 through 8th rep) last week. It told me my bench press is 223.85. I also bench pressed 240 last week. That is 16.15 lbs or about 7% off.

The moral: formulas might work for one person, but not another. You can use a calculator to find out where to start in your PR attempts, though.

I can do 185 x 8 (barely - I may fail and get 7 on certain days) but I can barely get 225. I have always sucked at maxing out. Even with sets of 5, my first rep feels the worst.
I think people are just different across the board. The best way is to go by something you can do about 3 reps. If you start getting into higher reps, muscle endurance plays as much of a factor as strength.

I searched and didnt find anythig, is there a way to figure out what your max for any excersise is without doing it, for example if u could bench 100lbs only 6 times then fail, is there a formula to figure out your max without attempting it??

Just curious beacuse my friend says weight u can do 3 times is 80% of your max rep, but hes dumb and i dont like to listen to him lol.

thanks in advance

Just be a man and max out.
Those calculaters to figure what your lift could be may give you a basic idea but its impossible for them to know exactly because some people are better at lifting in the higher rep range.

i use calculated max's to help chart my progression, thats about it

And lets just be 100% clear, just because a chart says you can do X, does NOT mean you actually can. It's not your max until you've actually lifted it.

If that were the case I could claim a 700lb pull instead of 680.

This is probably a stupid question. If I'm going to determine my one-rep max, do I do that as part of a regular workout, or as a separate workout. For example, today I'm scheduled to do Dead Lift, OHP and Pullups (Day 1 of the 2-Day Split in the FAQ). Would the best method be to figure out my 1RM for those three lifts as part of my regular workout, and then do the same on my next Day 2 day? Or will determining my 1RM probably wear me out on it's own?

Its not actually your max until you lift it.

Back