Fights where you felt bad for the loser

I'm a Stipe fan so no one should be surprised if I say Stipe-DC 1. But it wasn't exactly about the fight itself, in spite of the eyepoke. It was the abrupt shift from him being feted as (possibly) best HW ever to having a pro wrestler call him a piece of shit in front of an arena full of people and untold numbers watching. It was the sight of him standing and waiting patiently, patiently for a chance to say something on the mic, a chance that never was given because DC and Lesnar were too busy "cutting a promo."

Andy Anderson against Jon Hess, because Anderson was donating all his proceeds and fight earnings too a school for the blind, and Jon Hess basically blinded him in the fight, how ironic! gauged his eyes out and damaged them badly.

Hess was an uncoordinated monster! Probably Top 10 in today's HW division!

Penn/Stevenson for the awful cuts & absurd lack of a stoppage. Also Cro Cop/Gonzaga 1 because he got he head kicked brutally & he is 1 of my favorite fighters. It made the revenge match sweet though.

Hess was an uncoordinated monster! Probably Top 10 in today's HW division!

Yeah it was funny in the early UFC's how a lot of styles basically just got the biggest guy they could find and often they had no background in the style they were representing.

Most of them

Idk if I felt bad for him or if I just felt bad, but I felt particularly bad after each of the first four losses in BJ's current streak. After that I became numb to it.

I felt bad for my all time favorite, the Natural Born Killer, when he lost what was imo a bad decision against Robbie.

That was an absolutely awful decision against Robbie. Clear win for Condit.

Yeah it was funny in the early UFC's how a lot of styles basically just got the biggest guy they could find and often they had no background in the style they were representing.
Jim Brown says something after the Hess stoppage like, "I don't know what techniques those were, but there was a lot of elbows and fists flying"

What are some fights where you felt bad for the loser? Here’s some that hit me in the feels.

Jones vs. DC II

Felt bad for DC. I know he gets a lot of hate around here, but it was hard not to feel for him in that post fight interview. Tough to see a guy come to the realization that he’s not the best and his biggest rival bested him for the second time in devastating fashion. Be a tough pill to swallow.

Aldo vs. McGregor

Aldo was tormented for almost a year before this fight. McGregor pushed his buttons unrelentingly and when he finally got his chance at revenge, he lost in quick, devastating fashion losing his title and snapping an 18 fight win streak to probably the one guy he really didn’t want to lose to.

The look on Rich Franklin's face when Anderson Silva's knees started to batter him. That made me feel bad for him.

As much as I dislike Koscheck, GSP put a beating on him. Orbital bone broken face battered from repeated jabs. It essentially retired him even though he had a few more fights was never the same.

Plenty of good answers..

One of my favorite fights, Dariush issued a jab followed by a TDA 2 times prior that.

That was the third time around, look how Barboza opens himself for teh jab in exchange for that knee.
tenor.gif

Now I'm twice as sad for him :eek:

Not sure if that's the fight, but I think so: Franklin later said he had broken a finger or something.. Had him not finished Liddell (4:59) with that uppercut he'd throw the towel.

God's sense of humorchaos is really a broken toy, felt bad for him as well.

It was a broken arm.

Actually I felt really bad for Vitor against Randy. Nobody thought he had any weaknesses except of course Randy.
Yeah. Never been a fan of Randy, but he just won fight after fight that he should've lost.

I felt bad when Ronda lost to Holly because I knew mma fans would be foaming at the mouth with “never that good” after Ronda’s absolutely historic run.

Another one that comes to mind, and I’m not a fan of Chanel’s at all, but I had to feel for him getting so close to beating Silva back when it seemed impossible, only to mess it all up in an instant

Holloway vs Ortega, and Nick Diaz vs BJ Penn. just prolonged nasty beat downs.
Also Cain-Bigfoot 1, and Cain-JDS 2 and 3.

Edgar getting robbed in the Bendo fight and getting robbed even worse in the rematch

Most guys at the end of their career. Getting old and breaking down physically when you’re still
as mentally tough as ever fucking sucks.

Back