Fights Between the Greatest Fighters in History Ranked (Superfights)

Did you actually watch Hughes/BJ 2?

Hughes didn't win because he was prepared, Hughes won because BJ was fat and out of shape
I dont believe BJ was ever not fat and out of shape at WW. Dont get me wrong he gassed hard, but if I remember correctly BJ was looking great until the 3rd. (Not quite Mcgregor/Diaz 1 status, but BJ was winning)
He did look better against GSP the first time, but every other time BJ was always fat

This list is too biased towards active/current fighters. You're listing certain fighters as "S" now that probably won't stand the test of time (TJ, Conor, etc).

For ex: had this been done after Rashad/Machida, it would have made the list with two undefeated fighters in their prime. Time has "proven" them not to be elite anymore, but the same can be said for just about every fighter after long careers.

wand/page 2

those two literally want to kill each other

Last edited:
Here are the rankings for fights between the highest level fighters in history.

Although the outcome of he fight is taken into account, it doesnt matter as much as the level of fighting ability between the two fighters in that current era.
I dont like to use the word "Superfights" simply because most of the time it implies popularity or title vs title belt holders, which is stupid because 'ranks mean nothing'.

1) Jon Jones (S tier) vs Daniel Cormier (S tier)
Both undefeated coming into this fight, Jon Jones in basically his absolute prime, while Daniel Cormier probably a year or two from his absolute prime.
Cormier winning the StrikeForce GP and destroying heavyweights, while Jones ran through the who's who of light heavyweights. (Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Rashad, Vitor, Gustaffson, and Glover)
The more I think about how Cormier evolved from the Jones and Gus fights, the more I get sick at Jones for robbing history of the greatest rematch ever.

2) Dominick Cruz (S tier) vs TJ Dillashaw (S tier)
Yes, I know what you guys are thinking. How can this be the #2 highest level fight when it doesnt even involve any of the consensus 5 GOAT's? This rank is basically banking on premonition. I seriously dont see any fighters at 135 being close to the level that these fighters are at. This could all change if Garbrandt KTFO's Cruz or gives TJ a fight.

These fighters have only really lost once before this fight, and it was very early in their development. Cruz to Faber and Dillashaw to Dodson.

3) Jose Aldo (S tier) vs Conor Mcgregor (S tier)
Aldo basically being in his absolute prime, while Mcgregor ~ 1-2 years away. (Yes Mcgregor vs Aldo was almost exactly a year from now)

The only reason this fight isnt at #2 was because of several reasons:
1) The world tour and Aldo's ability to be fucked with. Conor exploited a major hole in Aldo's mentality.
2) The size difference. I know Conor made 145 in the past many times, but he truly is a BIG 155'er.

4) Fedor Emelianenko (S tier) vs Mirko Cro Cop (A+/S- tier)
Two all-time great heavyweights. Although Mirko has quite a bit of losses on his record, the Pride Cro Cop was indeed the scariest man on the planet. Following losses to Nogeiura and Randleman, the Croatian super star went on a 7-fight win streak, with consecutive wins over: Aleksander, Barnett, Randleman, and Coleman. This man wasnt taking these guys to decisions either, he was straight up submitting and KO'ing these guys like they owed him money. Fedor at the time was on an 18 fight win streak, with his record being 22-1-1, his lone loss being a bullshit cut stoppage.

5) Dominick Cruz (S tier) vs Mighty Mouse (S tier)
Two truly great fighters. The two things holding this fight back is:
1) MM was nowhere near his prime yet
2) The he fact that MM walks around at 140 while Cruz walks around at 160.
Although make no mistake, MM is still an S class fighter even at 135.

Honorable mentions

Jose Aldo (S tier) vs Chad Mendes, Frankie Edgar (A+ tier)
GSP (S tier) vs BJ Penn (A+ tier) (Weight difference)
GSP (S tier) vs Matt Hughes (A/A+ tier)
Fedor Emelieanko (S tier) vs Big Nog (A/A+ tier)
Anderson Silva (S tier) vs Chris Weidman, Henderson, Belfort (A tier)
BJ Penn (A+ tier) vs Frankie Edgar (A+ tier) 1 & 2
Jon Jones (S tier) vs Gustaffson (A tier)

Disagree or have a different opinion? Think im awesome? Lets hear it in the comments below! Where did I go wrong Sherdog?
Kinda viewed Fedor vs Hendo as a superfight. Or GOAT Fight.

This list is too biased towards active/current fighters. You're listing certain fighters as "S" now that probably won't stand the test of time (TJ, Conor, etc).

For ex: had this been done after Rashad/Machida, it would have made the list with two undefeated fighters in their prime. Time has "proven" them not to be elite anymore, but the same can be said for just about every fighter after long careers.
I agree that hindsight is indeed 20/20. But one cannot deny the sport is evolving, and evolving quick.
Its only natural that I put current fighters at the top.
You also have to remember that this is a mutual highest level fighters, fighting list. The level of competition back then is nowhere near what it is today.

As you can see the oldest fight on my list is a HW fight, in which I believe the HW division has not evolved nearly as much as the lower weight classes
Although Stipe may be changing my mind soon though..

Fedor vs. Nogueira 2(or 3):
It was the only fight I can think of, in MMA history, to be against the #1 and #2 P4P fighters in the world. It was for the PRIDE HW Championship and 2004 HW GP Championship. Fedor was technically undefeated and Nogueira's only real loss was to Fedor(robbery decision to Hendo). I don't know how you get any bigger than that.

1. Frank Gotch vs Martin Burns
2. Frank Gotch vs George Hackenschmidt 1
3. Frank Gotch vs George Hackenschmidt 2
4. Ad Santel vs Tokugoro Itoh
5. Ad Santel vs Toro Miyake
6. Ad Santel vs Daisuke Sakai

I like how Big Nog(the #2 HWAT & easily top 10 MMAAT) and Hughes(again, the #2 WWAT & easily top 10 MMAAT) is a class A+/A. Which puts them under Conor, Dillashaw, & Cro Cop(who Nog subbed) and apparently on(or below) the same level as Mendes, Edgar, Gus, Weidman.

I like the list and the idea but I wouldn't consider alot of these "superfights". They were just fights that made the most sense, which has obviously gone to the wayside in recent years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back