Fights Between the Greatest Fighters in History Ranked (Superfights)

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Here are the rankings for fights between the highest level fighters in history.

Although the outcome of he fight is taken into account, it doesnt matter as much as the level of fighting ability between the two fighters in that current era.
I dont like to use the word "Superfights" simply because most of the time it implies popularity or title vs title belt holders, which is stupid because 'ranks mean nothing'.

1) Jon Jones (S tier) vs Daniel Cormier (S tier)
Both undefeated coming into this fight, Jon Jones in basically his absolute prime, while Daniel Cormier probably a year or two from his absolute prime.
Cormier winning the StrikeForce GP and destroying heavyweights, while Jones ran through the who's who of light heavyweights. (Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Rashad, Vitor, Gustaffson, and Glover)
The more I think about how Cormier evolved from the Jones and Gus fights, the more I get sick at Jones for robbing history of the greatest rematch ever.

2) Dominick Cruz (S tier) vs TJ Dillashaw (S tier)
Yes, I know what you guys are thinking. How can this be the #2 highest level fight when it doesnt even involve any of the consensus 5 GOAT's? This rank is basically banking on premonition. I seriously dont see any fighters at 135 being close to the level that these fighters are at. This could all change if Garbrandt KTFO's Cruz or gives TJ a fight.

These fighters have only really lost once before this fight, and it was very early in their development. Cruz to Faber and Dillashaw to Dodson.

3) Jose Aldo (S tier) vs Conor Mcgregor (S tier)
Aldo basically being in his absolute prime, while Mcgregor ~ 1-2 years away. (Yes Mcgregor vs Aldo was almost exactly a year ago)

This fight isnt at #2 because of several reasons:
1) The world tour and Aldo's ability to be fucked with. Conor exploited a major hole in Aldo's mentality.
2) The size difference. I know Conor made 145 in the past many times, but he truly is a BIG 155'er.

4) Fedor Emelianenko (S tier) vs Mirko Cro Cop (A+/S- tier)
Two all-time great heavyweights. Although Mirko has quite a bit of losses on his record, the Pride Cro Cop was indeed the scariest man on the planet. Following losses to Nogeiura and Randleman, the Croatian super star went on a 7-fight win streak, with consecutive wins over: Aleksander, Barnett, Randleman, and Coleman. This man wasnt taking these guys to decisions either, he was straight up submitting and KO'ing these guys like they owed him money. Fedor at the time was on an 18 fight win streak, with his record being 22-1-1, his lone loss being a bullshit cut stoppage.

5) Dominick Cruz (S tier) vs Mighty Mouse (S tier)
Two truly great fighters. The two things holding this fight back is:
1) MM was nowhere near his prime yet
2) The fact that MM walks around at 140 while Cruz walks around at 160. (20 lb difference)
Although make no mistake, MM is still an S class fighter even at 135.

Honorable mentions

Jose Aldo (S tier) vs Chad Mendes, Frankie Edgar (A+ tier)
GSP (S tier) vs BJ Penn (A+ tier) (Weight difference)
GSP (S tier) vs Matt Hughes (A/A+ tier)
Fedor Emelieanko (S tier) vs Big Nog (A/A+ tier)
Anderson Silva (S tier) vs Chris Weidman, Henderson, Belfort (A tier)
BJ Penn (A+ tier) vs Frankie Edgar (A+ tier) 1 & 2
Jon Jones (S tier) vs Gustaffson (A tier)

Disagree or have a different opinion? Think im awesome? Lets hear it in the comments below! Where did I go wrong Sherdog?

Last edited:
cool list ts, i think big nog vs fedor and cro cop vs fedor should be higher imo.

Conor vs Aldo shouldn't be nearly that high

In general I agree with this list, but where is St. Pierre Vs Penn?

I would put that top 5

Edit:
I think I would swap #2 for #3, but I understand your reasoning, and then put St. Pierre Vs Penn in at #4 and bump MM Vs Cruz, but its really hard to make a definitive list. I can't think of any you didn't include

Last edited:
In general I agree with this list, but where is St. Pierre Vs Penn?

I would put that top 5
The list is reserved for S class fighters, fighting against each other.

GSP vs Penn isnt on the list simply because I dont consider Penn to be an S class fighter. Despite his amazing legacy, his level of competition at LW was quite frankly, overrated. If I put BJ as an S tier fighter, that would force me to put Edgar there as well.

BJ is also severely undersized at WW, which imo takes away from the fight.
He went 2-5-1 at WW. With his only legit win being over a prime Hughes who didnt take him seriously. The subsequent rematch in Hughes/BJ 2 proved that. Hughes failed to evolve/was pretty shot by the 3rd fight, which is still a great win, just not worthy of being considered an S class fighter.

Last edited:
Randy Couture vs Chuck Liddell (UFC 43)
Fedor Emilanenko vs Antonio Rodrigo Nougeria (Pride 25)
Frank Shamrock vs Tito Ortiz (UFC 21)

Dillashaw, Conor and Cro Cop as three of the greatest fighters ever? GTFOH.

Did u know big nog was considered the best fighter in the world when fedor beat him? Shit list

Also why are u using "S" tier is that really a sporting term? Shit we use that in league of legends didnt expect to see it on an mma forum

Randy Couture vs Chuck Liddell (UFC 43)
Fedor Emilanenko vs Antonio Rodrigo Nougeria (Pride 25)
Frank Shamrock vs Tito Ortiz (UFC 21)
Randy (A class) vs Chuck (A class)
Fedor (S class) vs Big Nog (A/A+ class)
Frank Shamrock (B+/A- class) vs Tito Ortiz (B+/A- class)

Thats how I view these fights. Great fights though.

If Gustaffson (and perhaps cro cop/Mendes etc) is A tier then the list needs GSP vs shields, and I hate shields (his style anyway).....

Probably also needs GSP vs Hughes regardless

Did u know big nog was considered the best fighter in the world when fedor beat him? Shit list

Also why are u using "S" tier is that really a sporting term? Shit we use that in league of legends didnt expect to see it on an mma forum
I didnt get to follow much of Big Nogs career. He had incredible heart and toughness, but Big Nog getting his face smashed in and then coming back and winning does not make a fighter #1 imo. I may be going by hindsight as well.

Fighters have always been ranked by class, its just not common terminology nowadays.

S - Some of the best ever
A - Champs and contenders
B - UFC caliber
C - Everyone else

(My opinion, I may be wrong on the class rankings)

No GSP vs. Hughes?

It's only the two best WW's in history who had a trilogy that never went the distance, and none make the list?

Here are the rankings for fights between the highest level fighters in history.

Although the outcome of he fight is taken into account, it doesnt matter as much as the level of fighting ability between the two fighters in that current era.
I dont like to use the word "Superfights" simply because most of the time it implies popularity or title vs title belt holders, which is stupid because 'ranks mean nothing'.

1) Jon Jones (S tier) vs Daniel Cormier (S tier)
Both undefeated coming into this fight, Jon Jones in basically his absolute prime, while Daniel Cormier probably a year or two from his absolute prime.
Cormier winning the StrikeForce GP and destroying heavyweights, while Jones ran through the who's who of light heavyweights. (Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Rashad, Vitor, Gustaffson, and Glover)
The more I think about how Cormier evolved from the Jones and Gus fights, the more I get sick at Jones for robbing history of the greatest rematch ever.

2) Dominick Cruz (S tier) vs TJ Dillashaw (S tier)
Yes, I know what you guys are thinking. How can this be the #2 highest level fight when it doesnt even involve any of the consensus 5 GOAT's? This rank is basically banking on premonition. I seriously dont see any fighters at 135 being close to the level that these fighters are at. This could all change if Garbrandt KTFO's Cruz or gives TJ a fight.

These fighters have only really lost once before this fight, and it was very early in their development. Cruz to Faber and Dillashaw to Dodson.

3) Jose Aldo (S tier) vs Conor Mcgregor (S tier)
Aldo basically being in his absolute prime, while Mcgregor ~ 1-2 years away. (Yes Mcgregor vs Aldo was almost exactly a year from now)

The only reason this fight isnt at #2 was because of several reasons:
1) The world tour and Aldo's ability to be fucked with. Conor exploited a major hole in Aldo's mentality.
2) The size difference. I know Conor made 145 in the past many times, but he truly is a BIG 155'er.

4) Fedor Emelianenko (S tier) vs Mirko Cro Cop (A+/S- tier)
Two all-time great heavyweights. Although Mirko has quite a bit of losses on his record, the Pride Cro Cop was indeed the scariest man on the planet. Following losses to Nogeiura and Randleman, the Croatian super star went on a 7-fight win streak, with consecutive wins over: Aleksander, Barnett, Randleman, and Coleman. This man wasnt taking these guys to decisions either, he was straight up submitting and KO'ing these guys like they owed him money. Fedor at the time was on an 18 fight win streak, with his record being 22-1-1, his lone loss being a bullshit cut stoppage.

5) Dominick Cruz (S tier) vs Mighty Mouse (S tier)
Two truly great fighters. The two things holding this fight back is:
1) MM was nowhere near his prime yet
2) The he fact that MM walks around at 140 while Cruz walks around at 160.
Although make no mistake, MM is still an S class fighter even at 135.

Honorable mentions

Jose Aldo (S tier) vs Chad Mendes, Frankie Edgar (A+ tier)
GSP (S tier) vs BJ Penn (A+ tier) (Weight difference)
Anderson Silva (S tier) vs Chris Weidman, Henderson, Belfort (A tier)
BJ Penn (A+ tier) vs Frankie Edgar (A+ tier) 1 & 2
Jon Jones (S tier) vs Gustaffson (A tier)
Fedor Emelieanko (S tier) vs Big Nog (A+ tier)

Disagree or have a different opinion? Think im awesome? Lets hear it in the comments below! Where did I go wrong Sherdog?

Wow. This list is truly terrible.

If Gustaffson (and perhaps cro cop/Mendes etc) is A tier then the list needs GSP vs shields, and I hate shields (his style anyway).....

Probably also needs GSP vs Hughes regardless
No GSP vs. Hughes?

It's only the two best WW's in history who had a trilogy that never went the distance, and none make the list?
Totally forgot that one. Will edit my post.

p.s. fuck Shields.

No GSP vs. Hughes?

Oh this one too, forgot about that.. DEFINITELY THIS ONE. To this day even long after they have both retired they are still the 2 most accomplished WW in history, thats gotta count for something what did they have like 8 or 9 title defenses each? Has any ufc fight ever been between 2 fighters to accumulate that many defenses (in retrospect of course)

The list is reserved for S class fighters, fighting against each other.

GSP vs Penn isnt on the list simply because I dont consider Penn to be an S class fighter. Despite his amazing legacy, his level of competition at LW was quite frankly, overrated. If I put BJ as an S tier fighter, that would force me to put Edgar there as well.

BJ is also severely undersized at WW, which imo takes away from the fight.
He went 2-5-1 at WW. With his only legit win being over a prime Hughes who didnt take him seriously. The subsequent rematch in Hughes/BJ 2 proved that. Hughes failed to evolve/was pretty shot by the 3rd fight, which is still a great win, just not worthy of being considered an S class fighter.

Did you actually watch Hughes/BJ 2?

Hughes didn't win because he was prepared, Hughes won because BJ was fat and out of shape

Oh this one too, forgot about that.. DEFINITELY THIS ONE. To this day even long after they have both retired they are still the 2 most accomplished WW in history, thats gotta count for something what did they have like 8 or 9 title defenses each? Has any ufc fight ever been between 2 fighters to accumulate that many defenses (in retrospect of course)
Hughes has a great legacy. But when im making this list I dont really take into account legacy, title defenses, etc. Im looking at skill level. And when I recall Hughes I dont think of an S class fighter, I think of a guy who absolutely dominated an older era of MMA. I think this became fairly obvious when a prime Matt got destroyed by a new and improved GSP twice, and then proceeded to get crumpled by Alves.

Comibined Hughes and GSP had 16 UFC title defenses. Chuck and Tito had 9 combined, Silva and Weidman is at 13, and Jones/Cormier is at 9 (8 by JBJ)

Back