Fighting in Public (or private)

And that's what pepper sprays are for. I actually think a firearm is an ineffective self defense weapon in many situations as perhaps is a knife because a user often will hesitate to use it in a conflict situation until it's too late for fear of being guilty of manslaughter or wrongful death or similar charges.
Yeah that where I disagree. Though I haven't been in a street fight or any other physical altercation since I've started carrying, so can't say if it is ineffective or not.

I wouldn't hesitate if I had to pull it out and that's why I avoid having to do that.

If you're getting into physical altercations as an adult and not getting paid for it you're doing something wrong.

My wife popped me in the jaw last night. Good times.
If she'd ever hit me above the shoulder, I'd've said "What's wrong with you?!"
She did it more as an amusing thing than an aggression thing.
A few people asked why I let her hit me.
"It doesn't cause me damage, and it's the extent of our disagreement. She's not the type to hold grudges or save up battle material."

we were drinking in a bar last friday. a friend of mine got in a boxing stance and started throwing punches at me. it escalated quickly and I filled the bar with uppercuts. it ended up with him covering up against the wall and me throwing body punches Nick Diaz style. not full power but hard punches.

yeah we're a bunch of drunken assholes

Yeah that where I disagree. Though I haven't been in a street fight or any other physical altercation since I've started carrying, so can't say if it is ineffective or not.

I wouldn't hesitate if I had to pull it out and that's why I avoid having to do that.

I believe firearm is a great deterrent but if the guy takes a swing at you and the fight is on, you might not have time to pull it out to use it just as a threat. He also might panic and go for the gun if he sees you reaching for it. Becomes more dangerous than a fight- might turn into life and death situation.

My first wife used to throw shots at me, and eventually even replaced arguing with me about something with the expression "That's a punch."
I loved that about her, she had a good solid punch she'd plant on my shoulder. It was an endearing way of expressing her displeasure without having a lengthy argument about it. We'd be out somewhere, she'd pop me one, and she wasn't saving up an argument for later when we got home.

I miss that, oddly enough.

Just don't let a woman hit you in the head with a frying pan. It's lights out.

If you're getting into physical altercations as an adult and not getting paid for it you're doing something wrong.

why is that?

say if you are in a bar and someone grabs your girl's ass, what are you doing wrong exactly (assuming you are stomping that guy's ass into his face)

Just don't let a woman hit you in the head with a frying pan. It's lights out.

now, if they hit you with a Pop Tart you just eat that shit

Never start a fight unless you are ready to die for the cause over which you started it and are ready to stand alone in it.

why is that?

say if you are in a bar and someone grabs your girl's ass, what are you doing wrong exactly (assuming you are stomping that guy's ass into his face)

now, if they hit you with a Pop Tart you just eat that shit

There are always exceptions, but if you find yourself in a type of place where people are physically assaulting you or your loved ones, it's probably time to find a new place to hang out.

Most fights happen because of pride. The same two guys fighting in a bar would never fight if they were alone in a room without spectators.

I live by these lyrics (first song):

There are always exceptions, but if you find yourself in a type of place where people are physically assaulting you or your loved ones, it's probably time to find a new place to hang out.

Well, most of us can't live in a bubble. It could happen going to a baseball game. A relatively nice bar. A family reunion. Or could happen on your way to a place you HAVE to go.

"Sometimes the fight picks you"-- gracie wisdom

Well, most of us can't live in a bubble. It could happen going to a baseball game. A relatively nice bar. A family reunion. Or could happen on your way to a place you HAVE to go.

No doubt sometimes you have to fight, but if you are level-headed, you can always avoid one. Most of the time the fight if pride related. If I'm out by myself, the chances of me getting into a fight are so low it's virtually zero.

Of course, but I think what he meant is that if an adult finds himself getting into fights on a regular basis, the problem is either people he surrounds himself with or himself.

No doubt sometimes you have to fight, but if you are level-headed, you can always avoid one. Most of the time the fight if pride related. If I'm out by myself, the chances of me getting into a fight are so low it's virtually zero.

Unless pride follows you even when no one is around, which in my case happens to be true.

Of course, but I think what he meant is that if an adult finds himself getting into fights on a regular basis, the problem is either people he surrounds himself with or himself.

Unless pride follows you even when no one is around, which in my case happens to be true.

That's true, pride takes many forms. I personally don't value the opinion of strangers on the street or at a bar enough to fight over, so it doesn't make a difference if it's one guy on the corner, or crowd at a bar. I'm just not going to start swinging unless I have no other option.

That's true, pride takes many forms. I personally don't value the opinion of strangers on the street or at a bar enough to fight over, so it doesn't make a difference if it's one guy on the corner, or crowd at a bar. I'm just not going to start swinging unless I have no other option.

Yeah, and that's the benefit of living in a big city where you'll never meet them again. It can be different when you're living in a smaller, narrow-minded town. Personally, I don't care about anyone's opinion, but it is exactly that trait that got me into fights. Why? Because people are dumb fucks who confuse extreme confidence with weakness. If you back down when being called out, you will be perceived as weak regardless of your motive. And then one day, someone will, encouraged by your supposed cowardice, make a move on you in such a manner that you won't be able to ignore it.

It happened to me at least three times when I was working as a bouncer. Barbarians from local villages invaded the club, subtly tried to escalate things by being cheeky, and when I took the high road, they came back the next day with intentions to kick my and everybody else's ass. We had to beat them up badly to make up for all the "weakness" I displayed the previous day. All in order to "send the message" to the next ambitious group of retards.

Yeah, and that's the benefit of living in a big city where you'll never meet them again. It can be different when you're living in a smaller, narrow-minded town. Personally, I don't care about anyone's opinion, but it is exactly that trait that got me into fights. Why? Because people are dumb fucks who confuse extreme confidence with weakness. If you back down when being called out, you will be perceived as weak regardless of your motive. And then one day, someone will, encouraged by your supposed cowardice, make a move on you in such a manner that you won't be able to ignore it.

It happened to me at least three times when I was working as a bouncer. Barbarians from local villages invaded the club, subtly tried to escalate things by being cheeky, and when I took the high road, they came back the next day with intentions to kick my and everybody else's ass. We had to beat them up badly to make up for all the "weakness" I displayed the previous day. All in order to "send the message" to the next ambitious group of retards.

I don't know why anyone would think that a bouncer is a coward, that seems like a bad premise to adopt. But yeah, when you have no choice, make sure it's memorable, and by the sounds of it you understand that point pretty well.

Yea, this past year I almost assaulted the wedding photographer of a friend's wedding my girl and I went to.

He said some scandalous shit to her behind my back and when she told me I saw red....I had to go at least, say something or confront the guy...

My gf and her friends had to talk to me down...said I would ruin the wedding...

Normally, I employ @dontsnitch wisdom and just walk away...or remove myself from the situation...

But i don't know anymore...

I think @glennrod type of anger is appropriate sometimes...

does this topic break across partisan lines? I don't value fighting or agro behavior, whether it's a random encounter or with, say, someone you work with.

I've never been in a fight. But I did train for about 4 years and I enjoyed boxing in parking lots when I was a kid, so I don't have some aversion to throwing hands. It was always a fun thing though never an outlet for aggression.

Maybe a more specific question will spur the conversation, how will you talk to your kids about fighting?

Don't start fights but if someone attacks you or a weak person you have every right to protect yourself or that poor bastard being bullied. If someone hits you and you fold like tissue paper we will problems. I don't care if you lose but your better fight back with everything you have.

My mom taught me this lesson when I was 7. Got beat up by a bully (11yrs old) and went home crying. When she found out and whooped my ass, dragged me back out to the field and made me fight him again. I got my ass beat 3 times that day and the 3rd time he dropped me during the second fight it stopped being fun for him. It was the last time he bullied me.

Back