Fighters you wish they would've got their S*** together?

BJ Penn. Easily the most gifted all around and should have stayed w/ marinovich for conditioning but quit. Liked the partying/Hawaii lifestyle too much.

Now do you believe all the rape and coke stuff as of recent? I know the dude is on coke for sure. I've been around that my whole damn life, and would bet the life savings on that, but the rape stuff I couldn't see the man doing. Still a shame he wasted his life with bs

Wow, good answer. Didn't even remember he existed. Guy was a monster on the ground. Watching him spaz out against Sonnen? really concerned me at the time. He could've taken out Silva in his prime, in my opinion

5_01_01_09_12_48_25.gif

Now do you believe all the rape and coke stuff as of recent? I know the dude is on coke for sure. I've been around that my whole damn life, and would bet the life savings on that, but the rape stuff I couldn't see the man doing. Still a shame he wasted his life with bs
I agree.

Art jimmerson. If he only remembered his other glove.

krazy Horse Bennett had all the physical attributes and explosiveness to be a real contender.

krazy Horse Bennett had all the physical attributes and explosiveness to be a real contender.

Wasn't it true that he didn't train at all? I've heard some wild shit about that man. From having threesomes with Karyn Bryant, to crazy ass nights out in Tokyo with Japanese Mafia. The dude was a wild man for sure. He had some of the best slams in the game, and still to this day I think his KO of KJ Noons is one of the greatest of all time.

I would say his shit was fairly together... The dude had some sick KO's and fought in the biggest stage the world offers in his profession for nearly a decade. Not every fighter can be a champion.

This may not make sense to some people because it goes against the belief that practice makes perfect.. But I think there are some guys that perform off pure heart and determination. When you pull them out of that and try to make it more about refining training and making a smarter fighter, they lose what got them to where they are. I feel like Rampage and BJ are some of those guys. They did great with their minimal training camps, and they didn't look great once they started their "I'm training harder now". Rampage isn't a thinking/out smart fighter, he's a tough son of a bitch with massive power, granite chin and gets after it. Thats what made him Rampage. Getting his shit together made him look like a shell of his old self.

So having said that, I don't think "getting their shit together" is something many fighters can all of a sudden start, with huge success.

Wasn't it true that he didn't train at all? I've heard some wild shit about that man. From having threesomes with Karyn Bryant, to crazy ass nights out in Tokyo with Japanese Mafia. The dude was a wild man for sure. He had some of the best slams in the game, and still to this day I think his KO of KJ Noons is one of the greatest of all time.

wtf lol...is this for real??

I would say his shit was fairly together... The dude had some sick KO's and fought in the biggest stage the world offers in his profession for nearly a decade. Not every fighter can be a champion.

This may not make sense to some people because it goes against the belief that practice makes perfect.. But I think there are some guys that perform off pure heart and determination. When you pull them out of that and try to make it more about refining training and making a smarter fighter, they lose what got them to where they are. I feel like Rampage and BJ are some of those guys. They did great with their minimal training camps, and they didn't look great once they started their "I'm training harder now". Rampage isn't a thinking/out smart fighter, he's a tough son of a bitch with massive power, granite chin and gets after it. Thats what made him Rampage. Getting his shit together made him look like a shell of his old self.

So having said that, I don't think "getting their shit together" is something many fighters can all of a sudden start, with huge success.

That does make sense for me to a certain degree for sure, but still feel those certain links can be broken. I feel you can take a fighter whom isn't a thinker and turn them into a methodical game planner over time. For sure not for everyone though. People get to comfortable with what made them successful and change just throws them off.

I remember vaguely that he didn't have a coach in his corner the majority of his pride fights, but I may be mistaken.

Had he been mentored from a young age he could have fhucked a lot of people up. He gave Gomi a competitive fight who was arguably top 3 lightweights at the time.

That KJ knock out you mentioned took a lot of wind out of Noons sails at the time too. He was on a bit of a tear at the time. Not to mention KJ was a professional boxer.

Krazy horse should have been much more than he became in the end, sadly for both his young family and the fans.

wtf lol...is this for real??

That's what I've heard before my man. Even from the man himself, more or less. He was asked about said things in a interview I seen a long ass time ago and he just ignored everything altogether and moved on to the next question. Seem kind of odd for a man like himself not to address some stuff like that.

That's what I've heard before my man. Even from the man himself, more or less. He was asked about said things in a interview I seen a long ass time ago and he just ignored everything altogether and moved on to the next question. Seem kind of odd for a man like himself not to address some stuff like that.

That's hilarious if true. Good for him haha

I remember vaguely that he didn't have a coach in his corner the majority of his pride fights, but I may be mistaken.

Had he been mentored from a young age he could have fhucked a lot of people up. He gave Gomi a competitive fight who was arguably top 3 lightweights at the time.

That KJ knock out you mentioned took a lot of wind out of Noons sails at the time too. Not to mention KJ was a professional boxer.

Something as such. I don't know, but he had raw talent for sure. Talent that went to waste. Just think if he had a Jackson or some high level coach on his side when he first got into mma back in 99'.

Art jimmerson. If he only remembered his other glove.

That's pretty damn funny. Having met the man one more than one occasion even he would find that amusing. The dude is amazing. Shame about all his misfortune.

That does make sense for me to a certain degree for sure, but still feel those certain links can be broken. I feel you can take a fighter whom isn't a thinker and turn them into a methodical game planner over time. For sure not for everyone though. People get to comfortable with what made them successful and change just throws them off.

There are definitely some guys that do get it together, but I don't think it's as high of a percentage is what people think or hope for.
Werdum comes to mind. The guy was always great on the ground and lurked in the top 10-15 for years. He didn't come in to his own in the striking until the later part of his career. That's a champions mind set and determination. Most guys just don't have that mental fortitude to do what it takes to adapt like that, and for that reason, I think half hearted trying only makes their career stall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back