• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fighters who retired too early

On the spectrum of well-rounded and one dimensiona, he leans heavily one dimensional. He is further down the spectrum in my book than an Adesanya even, but close to Poatan.
How can you even say Izzy is less of a 1 dimensional fighter than Francis? Izzy has only ever won by decision or KO/TKO. Where as Francis has 4 submission wins in his career and wrestled more in his last 2 UFC fights than Izzy has in entire MMA career.

Yeah I forgot, he's the greatest wrestler in MMA history for grapplefucking Cyrille "Kerr" Gane.
When did I say he was the greatest wrestler ever? I simply said he was not 1 dimensional. I've no idea why you're reaching like that.

TJ Grant comes to mind. Had a very nice streak at LW and then couldn't continue his career

TJ Grant comes to mind. Had a very nice streak at LW and then couldn't continue his career
Chris Holdsworth also but these guys didn't have a choice.

Fuck TJ Pillashawn for injuring Chris.

Reactions: JKS
he squeezed past Hendricks, I am not sure if he would win the rematch or against Lawler at that point.
Fair point but he retired on top after being undefeated for many years, if anyone deserves the benefit of doubt they could have continued defending the belt it's georges

None, when a guy gets out and it isn't a physical thing, then its mental and that, in many cases, is an even better reason to retire. Khabib wanted out. GSP wanted out. That is no slight. Smart guys, get out and stay out (although GSP came back to beat up Bisping).

Shabulat Shamalaev

He got shot and said he'd come back and never did. Dude had crazy timing and power for a 145er
Was the victim of the jokertine before people even knew what that was

Bro, he subbed Anthony Hamilton come on.

Hamilton has 4 sub losses btw, all in the first round too.
And Aspinall is a ground wiz right? Yet his best sub win is Volkov who has 3 sub losses. The bar for heavyweight grappling is very low. Ngannou is definitely not one dimensional. He has 4 different sub wins, armbar, kimura, arm triangle choke and guillotine. He outgrappled Stipe and took his back in their last fight.

On one hand given how brutal the sport is, I cant second guess anyone's decision to hang it up. If the thought was there, it was the right time, imo.

On the other hand, a few clearly had more in the tank. GSP and Khabib are two good examples of that.

Fence sitter lol
IMG_20240524_145539_01.gif

How can you even say Izzy is less of a 1 dimensional fighter than Francis? Izzy has only ever won by decision or KO/TKO. Where as Francis has 4 submission wins in his career and wrestled more in his last 2 UFC fights than Izzy has in entire MMA career.

When did I say he was the greatest wrestler ever? I simply said he was not 1 dimensional. I've no idea why you're reaching like that.

Just busting balls. I guess you could argue he's not one dimensional but fights in a 1 dimensional manner. Unless his knee is injured I don't see it. He clearly wanted none of Lewis' standup at the time, did you see him attempt even one takedown in that fight?
There's other guys like this. Arlovski, Pav. Those two even have a grappling background, in theory they're even well rounded but inside the cage they're 1 dimensional.

I would have liked to see Khabib Nurmagomedov fight more elite competition. His resume is just so weak.

Yeah, we should've found a way with all of our endless Sherdog resources to keep his dad alive lol

Don't agree with people saying GSP... GSP was getting pieced up by Big Rig and only came back to take down Bisping and even in that fight he was getting pieced up too. He retired at the perfect time.

Just busting balls. I guess you could argue he's not one dimensional but fights in a 1 dimensional manner. Unless his knee is injured I don't see it. He clearly wanted none of Lewis' standup at the time, did you see him attempt even one takedown in that fight?
There's other guys like this. Arlovski, Pav. Those two even have a grappling background, in theory they're even well rounded but inside the cage they're 1 dimensional.
Francis has the touch of death. Would you opt to grapple as the first option when you can just touch their chin and get them out of there? I know if I was Francis wrestling wouldn't be my first option either. I don't think it's fair to judge Francis on the Lewis fight. He was clearly not himself there. I don't agree regarding Arvloski, he actually has submission wins and has grappled in his past fights. We've yet to see Sergai do any kind of grappling nor does he have a submission win to his name. Not to mention he got tooled by Oldereem in the clinch and looked like a lost child off his back before getting finished. Sergei being well rounded is a myth.

And Aspinall is a ground wiz right? Yet his best sub win is Volkov who has 3 sub losses. The bar for heavyweight grappling is very low. Ngannou is definitely not one dimensional. He has 4 different sub wins, armbar, kimura, arm triangle choke and guillotine. He outgrappled Stipe and took his back in their last fight.
That's a bit different because Aspinall's dad is a BJJ guy and Tom has been training since he was a child. Ngannou went to France in hopes of getting boxing training.

There's also a difference in doing that to Volkov (who admittedly has always had an achilles heel when it comes to defensive wrestling) who is someone that's been a decent HW since his time in Bellator a decade ago, and Anthony Hamilton who was mediocre at best in the UFC.

Fwiw I don't think Francis is one-dimensional, I just don't think him subbing a can is the way to prove it. Especially when he himself said that he learned that move backstage before the fight, being a specimen lets you get away with all sorts of stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back