Hunt: 13 wins, 10 finishes
Romero: 13 wins, 11 finishes
Black Beast: 21 wins, 19 finishes
Roy Nelson: 23 wins, 19 finishes
Struve: 28 wins, 25 finishes
Faustian: 206 wins, 206 finishes
Wow- looking at it can't believe I didn't mention me boy in my initial post-
45 wins, 38 finishes (mousasi)

What on Earth makes you think this? I guess it's easier to get KO's against inferior competition, but just bc someone gets KO's at a high % doesn't mean they face nothing but terrible opponents. I feel like your statement discredits a lot of fighters who got knocked out. Guys like Romero, Gaethje, Lawler, or Rumble have faced plenty of legit fighters and have knocked a large percentage of them on their ass. Would you please expand on that statement a little bit more? I feel like I've taken what you said the wrong way.
Rumble is a great example in that he was a HW fighting at WW. He either KO'd guys cold or the higher skilled guys beat him with his lack of skill beyond his scary power. Not saying Rumble had no skill at all but when he faced lesser skilled guys he nearly killed them.

Gaethje is another great example. He can't fight strategically, or at least not with a strategy that doesn't include exclusively wading forward and taking shot after shot to try and land a KO. His fights are exciting and he is a kill or be killed fighter but at the highest level (UFC in his case) he hasn't been successful. He was 17-0 when he arrived in the UFC with 15 stoppages, on UD and one SD. 4 fights into his UFC career and he is 2-2 and was KO'd twice and nearly KO'd by Michael Johnson several times. He was getting hit cleanly by Vick as well. When he got to the upper tier he is a .500 fighter but in WSOF and below he finished 15/17 which is an 88% finishing rate.

Lawler is not a massive KO killer with zero other skills. He is 28-12 1 NC. His early career he was KOing guys like crazy. 6 of his first 7 were KOs but he beat Lytle by UD, Jeremy Brown by armbar. He took Babaloo a LHW to a decision and Tim Kennedy a large MW to a Decision as well. He has had 6 five round fights with 5 going the distance and one finished in the 5th. Lawler has 21 of 28 wins by stoppage 20 TKO/KO and 1 Sub for a 75% rate but his run back in the UFC shows a 9-3 record with 4 of 9 by stoppage or 45% finishing rate. His winning % didn't drop off but his finishing % did at the highest levels. His best fights were 5 round wars with 3 of 4 going to decision. Not all finishes are interesting and not all decisions are boring.

Going for the finish, marching forward is sometimes the stupidest thing a fighter can do. Just ask KZ.

Rickson 500 wins, 500 finishes ;)

Serious answer: Gary Goodridge, win or lose he always wanted a finish, even in kickboxing, against legends that would terrify most.

Lots of good ones mentioned so far, some that weren't mentioned
Aoki, Tank, Diaz bros, Gomi, Pibull, Eddie Alvarez,

Last edited:
Rumble is a great example in that he was a HW fighting at WW. He either KO'd guys cold or the higher skilled guys beat him with his lack of skill beyond his scary power. Not saying Rumble had no skill at all but when he faced lesser skilled guys he nearly killed them.

Gaethje is another great example. He can't fight strategically, or at least not with a strategy that doesn't include exclusively wading forward and taking shot after shot to try and land a KO. His fights are exciting and he is a kill or be killed fighter but at the highest level (UFC in his case) he hasn't been successful. He was 17-0 when he arrived in the UFC with 15 stoppages, on UD and one SD. 4 fights into his UFC career and he is 2-2 and was KO'd twice and nearly KO'd by Michael Johnson several times. He was getting hit cleanly by Vick as well. When he got to the upper tier he is a .500 fighter but in WSOF and below he finished 15/17 which is an 88% finishing rate.

Lawler is not a massive KO killer with zero other skills. He is 28-12 1 NC. His early career he was KOing guys like crazy. 6 of his first 7 were KOs but he beat Lytle by UD, Jeremy Brown by armbar. He took Babaloo a LHW to a decision and Tim Kennedy a large MW to a Decision as well. He has had 6 five round fights with 5 going the distance and one finished in the 5th. Lawler has 21 of 28 wins by stoppage 20 TKO/KO and 1 Sub for a 75% rate but his run back in the UFC shows a 9-3 record with 4 of 9 by stoppage or 45% finishing rate. His winning % didn't drop off but his finishing % did at the highest levels. His best fights were 5 round wars with 3 of 4 going to decision. Not all finishes are interesting and not all decisions are boring.

Going for the finish, marching forward is sometimes the stupidest thing a fighter can do. Just ask KZ.
Very good, well thought out breakdown. Thanks for expanding on your thoughts!

Rickson 500 wins, 500 finishes ;)

Serious answer: Gary Goodridge, win or lose he always wanted a finish, even in kickboxing, against legends that would terrify most.

Lots of good ones mentioned so far, some that weren't mentioned
Aoki, Tank, Diaz bros, Gomi, Pibull, Eddie Alvarez,
GOMI!

Fedor
Cro Cop (still holds the record of most finishes in UFC / Pride / SF history)

Man Joe Lauzon has sadly been forgotten... Guy was always known for going for the finish.

Oleynik. 57 wins, 53 finishes.

220px-Alexey_Oleynik.jpg

Krylov, Frye, Costa, Ngannou, Yvel, Lytle, Reed, Manhoef, Perry, Condit, Carwin, Rich, Cyborg, Rousey and Travis Fulton (probably the only fighter w/ a statistically significant CV)

Igor Vovchanchyn
59 wins -- 51 finishes (41 KO/TKO) (10 Subs)

Krylov, Frye, Costa, Ngannou, Yvel, Lytle, Reed, Manhoef, Perry, Condit, Carwin, Rich, Cyborg, Rousey and Travis Fulton (probably the only fighter w/ a statistically significant CV)
Lol Ngannou has no choice but to go for the early finish, we've seen what happens to his gas tank in later rounds!

I would say the Black Beast Derrick Lewis. But thats probably because of the hot balls...

Off the top of my head:

Reem: 44 wins, 39 finishes
Shogun: 26 wins, 22 finishes
Mir: 18 wins, 14 finishes
Fedor: 38 wins, 29 finishes
Aleks: 28 wins, 25 finishes
Wand: 35 wins, 28 finishes
Vitor: 26 wins, 21 finishes
Schilt: 26 wins, 24 finishes
Kharitonov: 28 wins, 26 finishes
Arlovski: 27 wins, 20 finishes
Hunt: 13 wins, 10 finishes
Romero: 13 wins, 11 finishes
Black Beast: 21 wins, 19 finishes
Roy Nelson: 23 wins, 19 finishes
Struve: 28 wins, 25 finishes
Faustian: 206 wins, 206 finishes
Mind boggling numbers. Straight killers. A lot of my favorites right there. I now know why! Didn't realize some of them had such high finishing rates. Especially the last guy :eek:

I read entire thread but don't think I saw one mention of Yvel.

Gilbert Yvel

20090130082001_gilbertyvel.JPG

40 Wins, 40 Finishes

2019-01-16-02-00-07-1274189893.jpg

2019-01-16-01-54-01--618037736.jpg

Yvel-2.jpg

wide.jpg

Weili Zhang. That girl is nuts.

She was pissed that her fight went to a decision.

18 wins, 16 finishes.

One of the most aggressive fighters I have ever seen.
She was the first fighter I thought of when I read the thread title.

Jarl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vividwith33
Back