Fighters Who Go For the Finish

Thiago Santos

Cool-THIAGO-SANTOS-Highlights.gif

dat footwork

HW Overeem must be the ultimate glass cannon. If he doesn't brutally KO him opponents, he gets KO'd himself.

First name that popped in my head is STEPHENS

That motherfucker hunts.

First name that popped in my head is STEPHENS

That motherfucker hunts.
Stephens is exactly the type of guy I had in mind when I made this thread. He lives and dies by the sword (hence his record). He knows no other strategy than balls to the wall.

"To introduce such fans to a match in which you shut down your opponent without motion, it will leave no memories for them. If it's the choice of a sluggish match that I'll win by decision, I'd rather choose to lose in grand fashion by KO."
- SAKU G.
Words to (literally) die by. Stupid fucker

Stephens is exactly the type of guy I had in mind when I made this thread. He lives and dies by the sword (hence his record). He knows no other strategy than balls to the wall.

For sure bro. Ironically my av is Zabit lol hopefully my boy doesn't eat a bomb

For sure bro. Ironically my av is Zabit lol hopefully my boy doesn't eat a bomb
Lucky for you (or more importantly, Zabit) Stephens will be punching up, which obviously tends to sap a little bit of power. Zabit should take a page out of Aldo's book and attack Stephens' body in order to slow him down. Zabit's kicks are so good that if he can land a strong kick to the body he may be able to hurt Stephens enough to stop his forward pressure and pick him apart after that. Very interesting fight though.

Lucky for you (or more importantly, Zabit) Stephens will be punching up, which obviously tends to sap a little bit of power. Zabit should take a page out of Aldo's book and attack Stephens' body in order to slow him down. Zabit's kicks are so good that if he can land a strong kick to the body he may be able to hurt Stephens enough to stop his forward pressure and pick him apart after that. Very interesting fight though.
He is a wizard in terms of his well roundedness so he will also have his wrestling in his back pocket and I wouldn't be surprised if he uses it in the 1st round to drain Stephens a bit as well.

What do you think about Zabit's ceiling at 145? Can you see him beating guys like Alex, Moicano, Aldo or Max?

Obligatory Randy Couture reference.

Who else knows what I am talking about?

Huh?
Huh?
Huh?
Yeah, you want to transform this thread into another JO thread.

He is a wizard in terms of his well roundedness so he will also have his wrestling in his back pocket and I wouldn't be surprised if he uses it in the 1st round to drain Stephens a bit as well.

What do you think about Zabit's ceiling at 145? Can you see him beating guys like Alex, Moicano, Also or Max?
He definitely possesses the skill set to go far, that's for sure. Like you said he is very well rounded and can adapt to wherever the fight goes. This may be a strange criticism but I'm honestly worried about his strength. At his extreme height for the weight class I worry about his ability to finish fights with strikes, and his ability to fend off a high volume or big power puncher (Stephens is a great test). He isn't the 1 hitter quitter type anyways, I guess. I can see him being top 5 by the end of the year, and peaking in the top 3. As long as Max is champ I don't see Zabit beating him. The only advantage he would have is wrestling IMO and Max's TDD is too good. He is still developing though, and I can't wait to see how he progresses. Top 5 potential, I'm not sold on him becoming champion just yet though.

Used to be...not anymore
UFC brass extinguished his fire. I would never question Mark’s heart, but it sure did seem like he gave up in the Oleynik fight. He had him hurt and then got subbed not a minute later and smiled after he tapped. It seemed the number one thing on his mind was to finish his contract and get the hell out off dodge

He's not really known for that, but big Nog (back in the day) was always looking for a finish.
He would give up dominant position over and over trying to go for subs. And he would even let his pillow fists fly if given the opportunity.
Even in his 1st fight against Fedor, he tried until the very last moment to catch Fedor in a sub, and he tried a ton of subs during the fight.
Same for Werdum, a superior grappler on paper, Nog didn't hesitate to go to the mat with him both times

Man Joe Lauzon has sadly been forgotten... Guy was always known for going for the finish.

I was looking for Lauzon all through this thread. It’s easy to find finishers at higher weight classes, 25 finishes in 27 wins at lightweight is pretty extraordinary.

Back