Fighters Call for Banning the Oblique Kick

Should they ban it?

• Total voters
it's kind of a dirty move
like a groin shot
elbow tug
digit manipulation
one of those things you cant really train for, so I can see the reasoning

No ban on anything ffs was hoping MMA was going in a direction to start being lax so they can bring in soccer kicks but NO lets start banning more shit and more shit

Edit: Its not a dirty move they teach you this shit in most MA school's 101

You guys act like fighters haven't been throwing oblique kicks for ever and that they have some insanely high rate of injury. People get hurt in MMA or other compbat sports it's part of the sport and everyone knows it going in. Bisping lost an eye to a headkick, people develop CTE (which is infinitely worse than a hurt knee) from being hit in the head. Submissions break bones and tear ligaments etc,
You act as if your groundbreaking revelations aren't being discussed thoroughly throughout this thread

it's kind of a dirty move
like a groin shot
elbow tug
digit manipulation
one of those things you cant really train for, so I can see the reasoning
You can train for it.

Keep moving,feint more,stay off the cage,and dont telegraph planting foot all help.

Also take the guy down,then he cant do it.

WRESTLING LADS

THE FINAL ARBITER IN WHICH ALL MATTERS ARE SETTLED.

A FUCKIN SHOOT OUT

A SHOOT FOR THE LEGS

LIKE DAN GABLE

I see you're coming from a place that gives a fuck about the fighters well-being, and I support that fully. I'm simply not convinced that it's the problem that you're illustrating. If it turns out that the vast majority(or even a slight majority) of fighters agree, I'm in. I just legitimately don't know that to be true.....yet.
That is where I'm coming from yeah. Idk if it turns out to be true yet or not either, in regards to our debate. I imagine the extent of damage to modestas will either get more fighters claiming they should or shouldn't be allowed. We will have to stay tuned and see i guess. And hell, if it turns out the majority are all for keeping them and it gets talkd about a lot, have at it. at least guys will be much more aware and prepared for them vs now where its a more taboo attack

Reactions: D'z
Im sure they would trade knee stomps for head stomps to grounded fighters.

That is where I'm coming from yeah. Idk if it turns out to be true yet or not either, in regards to our debate. I imagine the extent of damage to modestas will either get more fighters claiming they should or shouldn't be allowed. We will have to stay tuned and see i guess. And hell, if it turns out the majority are all for keeping them and it gets talkd about a lot, have at it. at least guys will be much more aware and prepared for them vs now where its a more taboo attack
Word.

There's a very easy solution: allow side kicks above the knee to the thigh, but not stomps. You can side kick someone and hurt them or make them hyperextend their knee a little, but its when people stomp vertically full force + the assistance of gravity, that's when knees get destroyed. If you're going to say 12-6 elbows are banned then why should a 12-6 stomp be allowed on a vulnerable body part that is crucial to athletic competition?

People meming "ban head strikes" don't seem to get the point, you're going to take some assumed head trauma in fighting no matter what, but being concussed is recovereable (to a point, before CTE), having all the ligaments in your knee torn isn't. His knee will never be 100% again the rest of his career/life because of that. Everything he does will be compromised and he'll probably need a total knee replacement by 40 now just because of that one stomp. It's not good for the sport to allow something that can so easily ruin people's careers.

Last edited:
Lol we are talking about a sport where 100% of athletes will experience some form of brain damage, and some will even have CTE later in life.
And they cry about their knees...

It's like in the gym, the meatheads dramatically underrate the gravity of head injuries and spar like crazy ("common brah don't be a pussy") while being super sensitive about mechanical injuries.
Everyone who has a 3-digit IQ would rather have his leg broken in half than one single concussion.

What's the serious injury rate on them based on total times used? More or less than knee bars?

No ban. This was the first stoppage with the kick. Doesn't happen often enough to even be up for discussion.

Dont wanna get kicked? Then dont let it happen.

Yeah I don't understand why this is a discussion when so rare. It would also be so hard to ref compared to other kicks and defensive kicks.

Bullshit.

if that's the case ban the calf kick or the heel hook. otherwise, BE BANGKOK READY and learn defense.

No good fighters suggested it be banned

Only Cans from what I saw
575359.jpg

Ban eyepokes too while they're at it.

Ban crotch grabbing too unless it's women.

The first stoppage yes but it also had Robert Whittaker out for ages after Romero did that to him in their first fight.

It just means we'll get guys out not fighting for ages more often.
I think by now were all used to some not fighting lol

Back