Fighters Call for Banning the Oblique Kick

Should they ban it?

• Total voters
Ban all leg strikes, ban all takedowns and ground fighting, ban all submissions, only allow standing hand strikes and create more padded gloves for the fighters.

Problem solved.

<JRSmith40>

Fighters are not obligated to pull their punches or go easy on submission holds. They can hit their opponent as hard as they want or crank a submission hold as hard as they want. They don't have to give their opponents a chance to tap.
Of course they have to let go of submissions if the person taps.

No one seems to remember Royce Gracie and the famous Gracie Family "Oblique-kick" as a lead in to shooting for the take down. This kick has literally been apart of the sport since day one. And again, I'm not really defending it so much as I'm illustrating that it's nothing new. Sure, there seems to be a school of thought that thinks it's a cheap shot and you're scumbag if you use it. But regardless of your take, one has to recognize it's a subjective and a semantical argument. For which there is no truly correct answer. I mean, short of having all the UFC fighters vote on whether it's legal or not(which they'll NEVER do. The last thing the UFC/WME wants right now is for fighters to consolidate and work together. They're much easier to manage if they're fighting amongst themselves and having individual disputes with the company.) I don't really see a strong case to be made. It's been around since the beginning, and how many injuries has it caused? Then compare it to say, an armbar, or kneebar, or even calf-kicks, fucking orbital fractures from face-pounding. Like many sherbros, I've seen and heard the calls from fighters themselves to have this kick eliminated and if it's really the majority of them that feel that way, I support it 100%. But as another poster itt pointed out, a lot of the people calling for the removal of the kick have their own personal reasons for it(i.e. they're wrestlers and hate leg kick to begin with, they don't use leg kicks, they're wrestling/boxing heavy....or any number of reason why their style, personally, doesn't mesh well with oblique kicks existing. Now that, I can't abide. Ya know?
I know its been around forever, especially in those days when it was TRULY win at all costs and NHB. These are completely different times in the sport. In royce' case, he was generally very undersized and trained that method regularly in the day to day, as it was, and still is an effective method of self defense and a way for the smaller guy to get rhe bigger guy down to the ground, no matter the outcome. This is a huge part of bjj and He grew up training to protect himself by any means necessary which crossed over perfectly to MMA at that time.

It hasn't caused that many injuries because it is not commonly used. You have to ask, why is that? Fighters know its legal, know its effective, yet still choose to not generally use it. As stated, many fighters ober the years say its cheap and dirty and can easily lead to surgery and the end of a career / lifestyle. Rampage said Jones fucked his knees with it, Reyes or Santos, can't remember, said Jones fucked his knees with it. Interesting how one of the dirtiest fighters if all time is the one apparently wrecking knees with it. Again, the more its used, the more fighters overall will use it since it get more adopted. As that happens you will see way more career changing injuries which will eventually lead to a ban anyways. Why wait for a bunch of guys to get wrecked first ? The ones calling for bans aren't doing so cause they don't like kicks in general, they are doing so cause they are very aware of the outcome and most of them don't want to see that happen to their friends , co workers, or themselves. There aren't that many fighters out there, comparatively, who truly want to fuck people up beyond repair. They are all in the same business and they all provide for themselves and their families in the same way.

As far as the subs you mentioned, fighters usually have a chance to tap before major damage occurs, unless the other fighter is dirty and doesn't let it go. Orbital bones normally heal as well. I'm not saying other attacks don't lead to injury , of course they do, some very severe, they just don't have the same likelihood of career and life changing injury, proportionately to the amount of times they are used.

M9rdi5.gif
Do the same people that said no like the Aoki arm snap. I though hyperextending with no chance for a tap was illegal but can’t say I’ve sat and read all the rules
It's not in the rules and there would no real way to enforce it.

The problem I have with it is that when someone receives it they're out for at least a year if of not two before they can fight again. I don't see how that's good for the sport for have athlete be out for that long. Just based on that, an oblique kick to the knee shouldn't be legal.

if a guy was getting his knees torn apart every week in the ufc by said kick, then sure it would be reasonable to ban it because we can't have guys potentially end their careers on a weekly basis

It's a bit of a cheap shot and pretty easy to land

Almost like a nut shot or small joint manipulation

I wouldn't mind if it was banned

I agree. Too violent for me and a little unsportsmanlike at the same time. These injuries are potentially career ending.

“too violent” lmao. You’re watching the wrong sport little guy.

This is true, but I guess the difference to me is submissions take setups, and are less likely to be flukes, unlike that kick. They also usually tap to the pain, so they are given a chance to prevent the knee getting raped
Vs the kick, it just happens.
My 2 cents
sure but the same thing has happened multiple times just with regular low kicks. randy couture’s leg was never the same after fighting pedro rizzo. it just comes with the territory.

No ban. This was the first stoppage with the kick. Doesn't happen often enough to even be up for discussion.

The first stoppage yes but it also had Robert Whittaker out for ages after Romero did that to him in their first fight.

It just means we'll get guys out not fighting for ages more often.

He's not one of the people complaining about it.
E-iZ8ZsWQAwRXqg
I havent seen anyone shitting on Brunson for it specifically since Everyone knows it's legal, I definitely wasn't. I can guarantee though, as I stated, that if you were to ask him about the outcome, he would not consider it a nuisance. He knows it legal and is clearly just sticking up for whoever he saw giving Brunson shit. Also, no matter what way you look at it, it's damn near impossible to defend an attack when it is not trained because of the likelihood you injure someone with it.

Let's drop the inside leg kicks too too many nut shots.

The difference is in the intention. The intention of an inside leg kick isn't to kick the balls, while this oblique kick has the intention to extend or blow out the knee.

I havent seen anyone shitting on Brunson for it specifically since Everyone knows it's legal, I definitely wasn't. I can guarantee though, as I stated, that if you were to ask him about the outcome, he would not consider it a nuisance. He knows it legal and is clearly just sticking up for whoever he saw giving Brunson shit. Also, no matter what way you look at it, it's damn near impossible to defend an attack when it is not trained because of the likelihood you injure someone with it.
You guys act like fighters haven't been throwing oblique kicks for ever and that they have some insanely high rate of injury. People get hurt in MMA or other compbat sports it's part of the sport and everyone knows it going in. Bisping lost an eye to a headkick, people develop CTE (which is infinitely worse than a hurt knee) from being hit in the head. Submissions break bones and tear ligaments etc,

Ban the fuck out of those kicks. A kick shouldn't be able to do what a submission can. Oblique kicks can instantly end your career without the ability to tap

Ban the fuck out of those kicks. A kick shouldn't be able to do what a submission can. Oblique kicks can instantly end your career without the ability to tap

Name one time this has happened.

Upkicks and knees/kicks to grounded opponent should be legalized. They are way less career threatening than that kick.

I know its been around forever, especially in those days when it was TRULY win at all costs and NHB. These are completely different times in the sport. In royce' case, he was generally very undersized and trained that method regularly in the day to day, as it was, and still is an effective method of self defense and a way for the smaller guy to get rhe bigger guy down to the ground, no matter the outcome. This is a huge part of bjj and He grew up training to protect himself by any means necessary which crossed over perfectly to MMA at that time.

It hasn't caused that many injuries because it is not commonly used. You have to ask, why is that? Fighters know its legal, know its effective, yet still choose to not generally use it. As stated, many fighters ober the years say its cheap and dirty and can easily lead to surgery and the end of a career / lifestyle. Rampage said Jones fucked his knees with it, Reyes or Santos, can't remember, said Jones fucked his knees with it. Interesting how one of the dirtiest fighters if all time is the one apparently wrecking knees with it. Again, the more its used, the more fighters overall will use it since it get more adopted. As that happens you will see way more career changing injuries which will eventually lead to a ban anyways. Why wait for a bunch of guys to get wrecked first ? The ones calling for bans aren't doing so cause they don't like kicks in general, they are doing so cause they are very aware of the outcome and most of them don't want to see that happen to their friends , co workers, or themselves. There aren't that many fighters out there, comparatively, who truly want to fuck people up beyond repair. They are all in the same business and they all provide for themselves and their families in the same way.

As far as the subs you mentioned, fighters usually have a chance to tap before major damage occurs, unless the other fighter is dirty and doesn't let it go. Orbital bones normally heal as well. I'm not saying other attacks don't lead to injury , of course they do, some very severe, they just don't have the same likelihood of career and life changing injury, proportionately to the amount of times they are used.
I see you're coming from a place that gives a fuck about the fighters well-being, and I support that fully. I'm simply not convinced that it's the problem that you're illustrating. If it turns out that the vast majority(or even a slight majority) of fighters agree, I'm in. I just legitimately don't know that to be true.....yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back