Fighter Spotlight: Antonio Nogueira: Never Give Up

Hey guys, this is a new series Im starting for all kinds of fighters. Up and comers and legends mostly. If you have a fighter you’d like me to do a write up for let me know.

MMA is a cruel sport. Athleticism and strategy alone will never be enough. You must posses a grit and determination to overcome the impossible. In the sport of MMA, you will reach your breaking point over and over and over again. To be a champion, you must embrace your breaking point and push beyond it to reach a level of greatness no one thought possible. No one knows this better than Antônio Nogueira.

Antônio was present in the MMA scene from the humble beginnings of the sport. He started out in Pride, and dominated for many years. In fact, during his time in Pride Antônio held a record of 29-4. After joining the UFC, he became the heavyweight champion. It’s easy to look at Antonio’s accolades and accomplishments, and picture a dominant fighter who had an easy road. But nothing could be further from the truth.

When Antonio was a child he was hit by a truck. A broken rib perforated his liver, forcing removal of part of the organ and of one of his ribs. His diaphragm was injured as well, forcing him to breathe from machines. Doctors told him he may never live a normal life. He didn’t just live a normal life he became one of the best fighters to ever exist.

bignog_original.jpg

Bob Sapp Vs. Antonio Nogueira

These days, “circus fights” are taken less seriously. If Bob Sapp fought in today’s UFC Era, he likely wouldn’t have been taken seriously. But back in pride, where weight classes were flexible and rules were few and far in between, he was taken VERY seriously. Sapp outweighed Antônio by nearly 145 pounds, and when they got in the ring, it showed. Sapp overpowered Antonio, often times throwing him around the ring.

DqUrUVw.gif

In the first ten minute round Nog attempted multiple submissions and did everything he could, but the larger Sapp pounded his face repeatedly in one of the most brutal rounds in MMA history.

d2c1d_the_bob-sapp-donkey-kong-nogueira.gif

But Antonio persevered, and 4 minutes into the second round, he pulled off a submission victory by armbar.

Mirko Cro Cop Vs. Antonio Nogueira

Mirko was known for his head kicks. A legendary fighter in his own right, and widely renowned as the gold standard for a striker in MMA.

Antonio took a brutal beating. The faster, and strong Cro Cop took advantage of Nog on the feet, and a barrage of kicks and punches left Antonio devastated.

cro-cop-head-kick-nog.gif

Antonio survived the first round. And submitted crop cop early in the second round despite the massive amount of damage he suffered.

images

Nogueira consistently endured in his fights to pull out a victory from the strangest of places. He was never the quickest or strongest. But he had the most heart. And both inside and outside the cage, he taught us to never give up.

usa_today_8729263.0.jpg
He started in WEF tho...

vlcsnap-2018-12-20-05h46m42s770.png

The tatooed Nogueira is Lil Nog...

Last edited:
If he had beaten Fedor when they fought, would be pretty much solidly the GOAT.

Even still, one of the ATGs by far.

Lol at posting a pic of Lil Nog in a write-up about Big Nog. The guy with the shitty tat on his chest is Lil Nog.

usa_today_8729263.0.jpg

You filthy casuals should be ashamed for not calling him out on that by now.

Ahh the good old days when hws were abundant and the top divisio. Nog was the best until Fedor came along, but a true legend. He was a shell of himself in the ufc, because of the beatings. He is still a top 5 all time hw for sure. I saw him pull off sub after sub.. Badass at the top level nothing but respect for nog.

One of my all time favorite fighters.

I have an awesome shirt of his. Sweet fitting.....great material and cryptic....not like "Tap Out" or "UFC" or something guady. It's something only true MMA fans would know and say something to me about

Minotauro-shirt-1.jpg

Lol at posting a pic of Lil Nog in a write-up about Big Nog. The guy with the shitty tat on his chest is Lil Nog.

usa_today_8729263.0.jpg

You filthy casuals should be ashamed for not calling him out on that by now.
Went ahead and fixed it thanks for the heads up

Cool thread and Big Nog is one of the true greats in MMA seems like a really likable guy too. I'd love to see a one on Matt Hughes one of my favorite fighters ever.

Cool thread and Big Nog is one of the true greats in MMA seems like a really likable guy too. I'd love to see a one on Matt Hughes one of my favorite fighters ever.
Thanks my friend I appreciate the support.

NogBroz were the Original MMA Gangster brothers
DiazBroz need to respekinize dat

I remember that fight people hated schaub for knocking out a bunch of legends and he was talking mad shit and nog straight up ko’s him.
So good

Yeah, he said about Big Nog as well: "If I fight Big Nog 10 times, I win 9"

Yeah, he said about Big Nog as well: "If I fight Big Nog 10 times, I win 9"
Yeah and it was bull shit because he was not a super impressive fighter, and he’s shit talking a legend of the sport who he knows damn well won’t say a word back and who’s like 40 years old. I was pissed. And watching him knock schaub out cold was so satisfying

Do Cro Cop and/or Rampage. Or Penn. Maybe I'll catch something new of the old favs.

Duane Ludwig's career was interesting with the kickboxing added and the ups and downs, yet still highly regarded despite of those, also as a coach, and he had a long career of which I don't know everything.

Hey guys, this is a new series Im starting for all kinds of fighters. Up and comers and legends mostly. If you have a fighter you’d like me to do a write up for let me know.

MMA is a cruel sport. Athleticism and strategy alone will never be enough. You must posses a grit and determination to overcome the impossible. In the sport of MMA, you will reach your breaking point over and over and over again. To be a champion, you must embrace your breaking point and push beyond it to reach a level of greatness no one thought possible. No one knows this better than Antônio Nogueira.

Antônio was present in the MMA scene from the humble beginnings of the sport. He started out in Pride, and dominated for many years. In fact, during his time in Pride Antônio held a record of 29-4. After joining the UFC, he became the heavyweight champion. It’s easy to look at Antonio’s accolades and accomplishments, and picture a dominant fighter who had an easy road. But nothing could be further from the truth.

When Antonio was a child he was hit by a truck. A broken rib perforated his liver, forcing removal of part of the organ and of one of his ribs. His diaphragm was injured as well, forcing him to breathe from machines. Doctors told him he may never live a normal life. He didn’t just live a normal life he became one of the best fighters to ever exist.

bignog_original.jpg

Bob Sapp Vs. Antonio Nogueira

These days, “circus fights” are taken less seriously. If Bob Sapp fought in today’s UFC Era, he likely wouldn’t have been taken seriously. But back in pride, where weight classes were flexible and rules were few and far in between, he was taken VERY seriously. Sapp outweighed Antônio by nearly 145 pounds, and when they got in the ring, it showed. Sapp overpowered Antonio, often times throwing him around the ring.

DqUrUVw.gif

In the first ten minute round Nog attempted multiple submissions and did everything he could, but the larger Sapp pounded his face repeatedly in one of the most brutal rounds in MMA history.

d2c1d_the_bob-sapp-donkey-kong-nogueira.gif

But Antonio persevered, and 4 minutes into the second round, he pulled off a submission victory by armbar.

Mirko Cro Cop Vs. Antonio Nogueira

Mirko was known for his head kicks. A legendary fighter in his own right, and widely renowned as the gold standard for a striker in MMA.

Antonio took a brutal beating. The faster, and strong Cro Cop took advantage of Nog on the feet, and a barrage of kicks and punches left Antonio devastated.

cro-cop-head-kick-nog.gif

Antonio survived the first round. And submitted crop cop early in the second round despite the massive amount of damage he suffered.

images

Nogueira consistently endured in his fights to pull out a victory from the strangest of places. He was never the quickest or strongest. But he had the most heart. And both inside and outside the cage, he taught us to never give up.

usa-today-8728937.0.jpg
Read every word

Do Cro Cop and/or Rampage. Or Penn. Maybe I'll catch something new of the old favs.

Duane Ludwig's career was interesting with the kickboxing added and the ups and downs, yet still highly regarded despite of those, also as a coach, and he had a long career of which I don't know everything.
Hey man those are some great recommendations. Duane Ludwig is a great idea I appreciate it

Back