Fighter Spotlight: Antonio Nogueira: Never Give Up

Zebra Cheeks

Cheeky Bastard
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is a new series Im starting for all kinds of fighters. Up and comers and legends mostly. If you have a fighter you’d like me to do a write up for let me know.

MMA is a cruel sport. Athleticism and strategy alone will never be enough. You must posses a grit and determination to overcome the impossible. In the sport of MMA, you will reach your breaking point over and over and over again. To be a champion, you must embrace your breaking point and push beyond it to reach a level of greatness no one thought possible. No one knows this better than Antônio Nogueira.

Antônio was present in the MMA scene from the humble beginnings of the sport. He started out in Pride, and dominated for many years. In fact, during his time in Pride Antônio held a record of 29-4. After joining the UFC, he became the heavyweight champion. It’s easy to look at Antonio’s accolades and accomplishments, and picture a dominant fighter who had an easy road. But nothing could be further from the truth.

When Antonio was a child he was hit by a truck. A broken rib perforated his liver, forcing removal of part of the organ and of one of his ribs. His diaphragm was injured as well, forcing him to breathe from machines. Doctors told him he may never live a normal life. He didn’t just live a normal life he became one of the best fighters to ever exist.

bignog_original.jpg

Bob Sapp Vs. Antonio Nogueira

These days, “circus fights” are taken less seriously. If Bob Sapp fought in today’s UFC Era, he likely wouldn’t have been taken seriously. But back in pride, where weight classes were flexible and rules were few and far in between, he was taken VERY seriously. Sapp outweighed Antônio by nearly 145 pounds, and when they got in the ring, it showed. Sapp overpowered Antonio, often times throwing him around the ring.

DqUrUVw.gif

In the first ten minute round Nog attempted multiple submissions and did everything he could, but the larger Sapp pounded his face repeatedly in one of the most brutal rounds in MMA history.

d2c1d_the_bob-sapp-donkey-kong-nogueira.gif

But Antonio persevered, and 4 minutes into the second round, he pulled off a submission victory by armbar.

Mirko Cro Cop Vs. Antonio Nogueira

Mirko was known for his head kicks. A legendary fighter in his own right, and widely renowned as the gold standard for a striker in MMA.

Antonio took a brutal beating. The faster, and strong Cro Cop took advantage of Nog on the feet, and a barrage of kicks and punches left Antonio devastated.

cro-cop-head-kick-nog.gif

Antonio survived the first round. And submitted crop cop early in the second round despite the massive amount of damage he suffered.

images

Nogueira consistently endured in his fights to pull out a victory from the strangest of places. He was never the quickest or strongest. But he had the most heart. And both inside and outside the cage, he taught us to never give up.

usa-today-8728937.0.jpg

Last edited:
A true legend of the sport, nothing but respect. Lots of good memories from Minotauro, back when he didn’t lose fights he just ran out of time.

Last edited:
No pic of him feeding a carrot to a bus?

All joking aside, absolute legend.

Top 5 fighter of all time IMO. If Fedor wasn't around, he might have been GOAT.

His fight against Bob Sapp is my favorite fight of all time. Incredible perseverance by Nog.

Absolute legend. Heart of gold.
Truly think he is a good man out of the cage as well.

Now, that Sapp fight... youngsters only know the Tapp version of Sapp.
Its a bit like only knowing current BJ Penn.
Sapp was a monster. He beat the fuck out of Ernesto Hoost, one of the greatest K1 fighters ever. He did it twice, actually.
Sapp was incredibly menacing and if he had the heart, could have been a true legend of both MMA and Kickboxing.

Nog showed resilience that at the time and even now has perhaps only been shown by very few (Akira Shoji, Nakai, Saku...).
At the time that win was unbelievable.
Nog is the greatest brazilian fighter ever.

Absolute legend. Heart of gold.
Truly think he is a good man out of the cage as well.

Now, that Sapp fight... youngsters only know the Tapp version of Sapp.
Its a bit like only knowing current BJ Penn.
Sapp was a monster. He beat the fuck out of Ernesto Hoost, one of the greatest K1 fighters ever. He did it twice, actually.
Sapp was incredibly menacing and if he had the heart, could have been a true legend of both MMA and Kickboxing
Yeah he’s a joke now but I mean back in the day it was like a Brock Lesnar that actually had some technical skills and didn’t have to cut weight. He was a BEAST

Yeah he’s a joke now but I mean back in the day it was like a Brock Lesnar that actually had some technical skills and didn’t have to cut weight. He was a BEAST
Wrong.
He was... The Beast!
And he was a lot taller and heavier than Lesnar.

Nogueira was the #1-3 HW for 8 consecutive years. That kind of longevity is insane.

Nogueira was the #1-3 HW for 8 consecutive years. That kind of longevity is insane.
Yeah for real, and it’s not like he was taking a fight a year, the dude fought almost 40 times. You’d never see that these days

Come to think about it, you should make one of these on Sapp.
I have read a bit about him and he truly is an entertaining, unique character.
Sapp time baby.

Come to think about it, you should make one of these on Sapp.
I have read a bit about him and he truly is an entertaining, unique character.
Sapp time baby.
I may do Sapp at some point. I would really like to do Matt Hughes as well. Lyoto Machida is another one I find very interesting

Edit: I also want to do some on guys just starting out

One of the undisputed greats, and like others have already said I think we might be calling him GOAT if not for Fedor.

His fight with CroCop probably makes my list of 10 must-watch fights for any MMA fan.

+1 to the posters talking about what a terrifying monstrosity Sapp was for a couple of years there. Nog is NOT a small man and Sapp damn near broke him in half.

His 2nd fight with Heath Herring is another personal favorite.

I also don't think he gets enough credit for his clutch performance against Sylvia or his absolute masterclass against Randy.

I may do Sapp at some point. I would really like to do Matt Hughes as well. Lyoto Machida is another one I find very interesting

Edit: I also want to do some on guys just starting out
I will be there, especially for the old guys. Machida may be my favourite ever. I am brazilian, half white, half japanese, just like him.

Back