Fentanyl is killing America

Andrei Orlovski

UFC black belt
@Silver
Reaction score

Millions of people losing their jobs cuz of COVID lockdowns, many will lose their homes, end up in the streets and start taking drugs.
Around 70,000 Americans die from drug overdose every year. Countless die from other stuff related to drugs.

How can Trump or Biden end the drug epidemic?

The only thing proven to work is giving addicts legal, free lifetime access to opiods. Research shows that they will get help and recovery whilst limiting all the crime, violence, std transmission, etc that's always associated with the dilemma.

Opiods are too loosely prescribed in America for anything to ever really be done about it. As long as pharmaceutical companies keep making customers out of young adults they’ll always find their way into the streets. America consumes 90% of the opiate pharmaceuticals produced in the entire world.

Blame the addicts. Personal responsibility.

With that said I have 40 and 80 mg oxycodone pills.

The only thing proven to work is giving addicts legal, free lifetime access to opiods. Research shows that they will get help and recovery whilst limiting all the crime, violence, std transmission, etc that's always associated with the dilemma.
As a recovering heroin addict I agree with this 100%. It would be much better if the US government spent more money in tackling the opioid epidemic in this way than the way they are going about it now. If you give individuals a safe injection site they can to go where they are able to get pharmaceutical grade heroin and be able to use it would help ten fold. Studies have shown lower overdose mortality (88 fewer overdose deaths per 100 000 person-years), 67% fewer ambulance calls for treating overdoses, and a decrease in HIV infections in Alberta, Canada alone. As well it makes it easier for a person to be able to ween themselves off.

Heroin addiction is evil and I struggled with it for almost all of my 20's (3 major overdoses, too many ER visits to count, two inpatient psych ward stays, one inpatient drug rehab stay, two outpatient drug rehab programs, two outpatient psych treatment stays and also seeing both a therapist and psychiatrist). I managed to stop using when I got hired at my current job in 2013. Did have two slip ups but they were one and done.

Nowadays the majority of heroin you will find here is laced with fentanyl and that ends up leading to way more overdoses. I've lost way too many friends because of that. We really wouldn't have this problem if the federal government cared more about rehabilitation in regards to drug use and abuse. Every major city in this country should be allowed to have safe injection sites with trained medical personal dispensing pharmaceutical grade heroin to addicts.

Millions of people losing their jobs cuz of COVID lockdowns, many will lose their homes, end up in the streets and start taking drugs.
Around 70,000 Americans die from drug overdose every year. Countless die from other stuff related to drugs.

It would seem counter productive on the surface but i think the answer is to let addicts get their pills or dope from a controlled source . Then its clean people know what they get and someones got an eye on them

Part 2 have all kinds of rehab info and programs that work with the opiod dispensary. It doesnt have to be free either and maybe if the system is tweeked just right the users/addicts will end up payin for the whole system with the added bonus of getting all that money out of the black market.

You arent gonna cure an addict with punishment and tuff love but you can limit the amount of harm they do themselves and others as well as makin it much easier to get off that train when they are ready.

The answer in short is to treat it as a medical problem not a criminal one

As a recovering heroin addict I agree with this 100%. It would be much better if the US government spent more money in tackling the opioid epidemic in this way than the way they are going about it now. If you give individuals a safe injection site they can to go where they are able to get pharmaceutical grade heroin and be able to use it would help ten fold. Studies have shown lower overdose mortality (88 fewer overdose deaths per 100 000 person-years), 67% fewer ambulance calls for treating overdoses, and a decrease in HIV infections in Alberta, Canada alone. As well it makes it easier for a person to be able to ween themselves off.

Heroin addiction is evil and I struggled with it for almost all of my 20's (3 major overdoses, too many ER visits to count, two inpatient psych ward stays, one inpatient drug rehab stay, two outpatient drug rehab programs, two outpatient psych treatment stays and also seeing both a therapist and psychiatrist). I managed to stop using when I got hired at my current job in 2013. Did have two slip ups but they were one and done.

Nowadays the majority of heroin you will find here is laced with fentanyl and that ends up leading to way more overdoses. I've lost way too many friends because of that. We really wouldn't have this problem if the federal government cared more about rehabilitation in regards to drug use and abuse. Every major city in this country should be allowed to have safe injection sites with trained medical personal dispensing pharmaceutical grade heroin to addicts.
Unfortunately it would take a fundamental change to.... a lot of things... let alone morals, for this to ever come to fruition.

Unfortunately it would take a fundamental change to.... a lot of things... let alone morals, for this to ever come to fruition.
I've been saying that for years and even before fentanyl became a problem. Like you just said it would take fundamental change for this to happen and sadly I don't think it will happen on a federal level. Locally in certain jurisdictions yes but even then it is rare. So many people in this country look at addicts as second class citizens until one of their own family members becomes one of those addicted.

It will never end regardless. Sorry but that's the truth. People will always make bad decisions and get addicted to whatever. It could be drugs,alcohol,gambling. That's just life unfortunately.

Tried it one time , best feeling I ever had I knew I wouldn’t touch the stuff ever again,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back