Opinion Feminist: employers should moderate sports talk in the office because it excludes women.

Frankly, I think that's silly. I think corporations should absolutely set limits on what they allow on their premises based on what they, the owners, value. And that includes matters of speech.

I brought up the constitutionality of it because I can't imagine any other logical argument for why you think that a business owner shouldn't be allowed to manage their own business (even if it would be wrong). If talking about something, including but not limited to sports, is so important to the worker that they can't wait until after their shift then they should go find another job.

In real life, if I tell my staff to leave conversations about sports at home or wait until after work, I expect them to abide by it. And if they can't, I will let them go. And if some random client wanders into either of my businesses and complains about it, well, they can take their business elsewhere.

So if a bakery doesn't want to bake a cake for a gay wedding?

One area where I think we agree is that employers should be allowed to establish some level of speech guidelines for their employees. Please correct me if I am wrong.

From there, you are arguing that therefore almost any speech guidelines issued by an employer are fine. I see that as going way too far, and that an employers ability to tell their employees what to say and not say while on break is illiberal and oppressive of workers.

And now you are saying that only employers should be allowed to define where the lines are between reasonable and tyrannical levels of rules. What about the workers? Do you think they should have no power or rights in the relationship with their employers?
I’d quit bothering he doesn’t get it..

I’d quit bothering he doesn’t get it..
I get it just fine. She wants to limit corporate freedom to set workplace speech rules, the feminist wants to limit corporate freedom to set workplace speech rules.

You think limiting workplace speech rules is bad when the feminist promotes it and okay when someone else promotes it.

I think every corporation should set their own rules.

Somehow, you think that the person arguing for limitations gets it more than the person who is saying "let everyone make their own choice."

I get it just fine. She wants to limit corporate freedom to set workplace speech rules, the feminist wants to limit corporate freedom to set workplace speech rules.

You think limiting workplace speech rules is bad when the feminist promotes it and okay when someone else promotes it.

I think every corporation should set their own rules.

Somehow, you think that the person arguing for limitations gets it more than the person who is saying "let everyone make their own choice."
Actually I don’t think any speech at work other than speech that would be considered harassment should be regulated. So your notion that I’m only “ outraged “ because it’s a feminist idea is untrue. Also telling employees to not talk about stuff that may not interest women is completely nonsense. Something is seriously wrong with idiots who have nothing better to do than think up this shit.

giphy.gif

Actually I don’t think any speech at work other than speech that would be considered harassment should be regulated. So your notion that I’m only “ outraged “ because it’s a feminist idea is untrue. Also telling employees to not talk about stuff that may not interest women is completely nonsense. Something is seriously wrong with idiots who have nothing better to do than think up this shit.
Then you weren't following Inga's posts. Inga says that moderate limitations on workplace speech is something that she agrees with (although not if it includes sports talk limitations). Which would be the opposite of your position stated here.

As far as corporations regulating speech within the boundaries of their premises, I think they should be allowed to do whatever they want so long as it doesn't violate the law. Forbid family talk, sports talk, political talk, religious talk - whatever the corporation doesn't want discussed while on their premises is fine with me. That, to me, is maximum freedom.

Now, if you're talking about government regulation, I can agree with you. But if you're extending your position to the corporation's ability to police it's own premises, I cannot.

Then you weren't following Inga's posts. Inga says that moderate limitations on workplace speech is something that she agrees with (although not if it includes sports talk limitations). Which would be the opposite of your position stated here.

As far as corporations regulating speech within the boundaries of their premises, I think they should be allowed to do whatever they want so long as it doesn't violate the law. Forbid family talk, sports talk, political talk, religious talk - whatever the corporation doesn't want discussed while on their premises is fine with me. That, to me, is maximum freedom.

Now, if you're talking about government regulation, I can agree with you. But if you're extending your position to the corporation's ability to police it's own premises, I cannot.
Fair enough

Seems odd. I've certainly known plenty of women who were more willing and able to talk football than me, largely because I only like combat and motor sports and think ball sports are crap.
AFL is practically a state religion here. Tipping competitions and employers/suppliers/partners/clients giving out tickets as rewards is completely normal. Obviously a lot of football banter surrounds that.
Never bothered me. I just ignored the conversations and I'd pass tickets I got off to someone who would appreciate them. In return my Muslim/Bahai colleagues would often give me all the grog that was given out under similar circumstances. Win/win.

Seems odd. I've certainly known plenty of women who were more willing and able to talk football than me, largely because I only like combat and motor sports and think ball sports are crap.
AFL is practically a state religion here. Tipping competitions and employers/suppliers/partners/clients giving out tickets as rewards is completely normal. Obviously a lot of football banter surrounds that.
Never bothered me. I just ignored the conversations and I'd pass tickets I got off to someone who would appreciate them. In return my Muslim/Bahai colleagues would often give me all the grog that was given out under similar circumstances. Win/win.

She's a feminist. Don't take her opinion too seriously. She's most likely fat, ugly and unfuckable.

She's a feminist. Don't take her opinion too seriously. She's most likely fat, ugly and unfuckable.

I just find it strange that people would be annoyed by conversations about topics that don't interest them, to the point where they'd want it to be a factor in corporate policy.
Certainly makes me question their employment history.

Who wants to be included in more office politics?

I agree with what you said, and the bolded part is what I'm replying to : life is so good in the US that people have to come up with silly shit like this to try and make themselves feel like it's bad or that they're oppressed. While I agree it's a silly notion I try to have a positive outlook on it and see that our country and society are in an incredible place right now. Listening to the news (either side) would make us believe that civil war is about to break out at any second, but all in all life is good here and things are just fine. Chalk this feminist silliness up to women having nothing real to fight against anymore.
; )

Back