Opinion Feminist: employers should moderate sports talk in the office because it excludes women.

Phisher

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score

Chartered Management Institute head Ann Francke said sports banter can exclude women and lead to laddish behaviour such as chat about sexual conquests.

"A lot of women, in particular, feel left out," she told the BBC's Today programme.

"They don't follow those sports and they don't like either being forced to talk about them or not being included."

"I have nothing against sports enthusiasts or cricket fans - that's great," she said.

"But the issue is many people aren't cricket fans," she added, arguing bosses should crack down on sports banter.

Ms Francke is concerned that discussing football and, for example, the merits of video assistant refereeing (VAR) can disproportionately exclude women and divide offices.

Well then mothers and fathers shouldnt talk about their stupid kids because not everyone has kids.
Women should refrain from talking about celebrity gossip because it might exclude men. Also, isn't it sexist to assume many women don't watch sports?

You can't moderate anyone talking about a specific subject other than unprofessional subjects like sexual conquests which I agree has no place in an office setting. But sports? Come on

Go Chiefs!

Last edited:
That’s what you get when you don’t have freedom of speech...bitches

Points above are correct and several assumptions are made. The other thing that bothers me is trying to enforce a workplace where others must make someone "fit in". We have begun to coddle too much in our society.

I'm out of the office at least half the time either meeting with clients, supers or checking up on job sites. The only woman in our company is a butch lez who handles the front desk and she's cool as hell.

Sounds sexist to assume women don't like sports. Biggest football fan in my office is a chick who wears Packers stuff everywhere and can break down the game better than anyone I know

More proof that womens rights was a mistake

The women I’ve worked with over the years actually seem more willing to talk about sports at work than me.

Eat less meat
Eat Soy
Don't talk about sports
Pay your TV licence

How sexist of her. There are millions of women who either follow sports or practice them regularly. This narcisistic manhater should go outside more often. We don't live in the 50's anymore.

Surely she must also think that women shouldn't be allowed to talk about anything men aren't interested in.

<{cruzshake}>

Surely she must also think that women shouldn't be allowed to talk about anything men aren't interested in.

<{cruzshake}>

She also sounds like she's the enforcer of what women should and shouldn't be interested in.

Men must talk about washing dishes, various vaccum cleaner models, and raising children while at work as those are the only things women enjoy or should be doing at home.

What a fucked up wanker.

And she doesn't even have a dick.

I can't stand football and soccer. Never talked about it and was never inclined to join in when people did.
I googled something cricket related years ago. Google still thinks I'm Indian and a cricket fan. I can't tell you how little in are abiut a weird baseball game that can take days to play

Chartered Management Institute head Ann Francke said sports banter can exclude women and lead to laddish behaviour such as chat about sexual conquests.

"A lot of women, in particular, feel left out," she told the BBC's Today programme.

"They don't follow those sports and they don't like either being forced to talk about them or not being included."

"I have nothing against sports enthusiasts or cricket fans - that's great," she said.

"But the issue is many people aren't cricket fans," she added, arguing bosses should crack down on sports banter.

Ms Francke is concerned that discussing football and, for example, the merits of video assistant refereeing (VAR) can disproportionately exclude women and divide offices.

Give me a break

Sports talk is a behavior of the boys' club and it does isolate men from women, and the effect of that is multiplied by a power disparity, but you're not going to get everyone that far bent from their nature and that much on the same page. That the controversy is over sports talk being too exclusive could be a good sign. That's not really the case (there are other problems that still exist), but it would be nice if sports talk were all there was to complain about.

It's absurd that we listen to these whiney crybabies. They should be ridiculed.

This sounds like a ruse women are using to get men to talk more about medieval weapons.

Back