Media Fedor made mistakes in grappling that GSP or Jones would never make

Sean_wongster_wongmastter

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Fedor is a good fighter but I don't think he's great, when he's discussed with names like Jones and GSP, we can see how he fails in comparison.

Fedor makes mistakes that Jones or GSP would never make.
There are a lot of matches where Fedor makes huge mistakes but lets look at just a few of them.

First:
Fedor vs. Silva:
Look at how easy Silva was able to get Fedor's hip and just take him down. Silva is not a great takedown artist by any means, but Fedor just fed his hips to him. Silva easily gets to half guard, then transitions to full mount.

I can't see anyone doing this to Jones or GSP, especially a guy that is known for striking and not for wrestling.

Can you imagine GSP or Jones being double legged by some striker?

giphy.gif

Second:
Fedor vs Hendo.

Let's look at Fedor's cage work, Hendo trapped Fedor against the cage for a really long time. Fedor had no clinch game and didn't even know to pummel to get to a overunder position. He allows Hendo to keep him on the cage with double unders for a long time. Fedor just looks lost and didn't know what to do, he just threw rabbit punches at Hendo while being stuck in double unders eating knees. It was Hendo that ended up breaking the clinch to elbow Fedor.

giphy.gif

Now, let's examine one of Fedor's most iconic moments which was actually brought about by his failed grappling.

Randleman slams Fedor with a suplex and Fedor lands on his neck no less. This wasn't an amazing feat by Randleman so much as Fedor giving up his back to stand up, doesn't drop his base, stands up fairly straight, didn't fight hands, and setup the perfect position for Randleman to just slam him.

Can any of you imagine Jones or GSP allowing someone to suplex them like this?

Attachments

• upload_2023-4-11_21-3-28.png
    upload_2023-4-11_21-3-28.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 1701505251751.png
    1701505251751.png
    126.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
He also hit transition and submission combos that neither of them would make. What's your point? Fighters are all different and use the tools they have.
This is also true.

Fedor and especially Khabib had strengths with Sambo grappling that Jones and GSP don't.

Judo being a very integral part of that as there is a big Judo influence in Sambo.

Nah

Silva bullrushed him and grabbed the takedown. It happens. Kind of hard defend against a guy that big once he's surprised you and is in on your hips. This is essentially an open weight fight given the discrepancy in size.

Fedor is a judo guy, he's happy to sit with overhooks and wait on Hendo. That's what he's doing. He's not pummeling because he is expecting to get a throw off the overhook or for Dan to seperate and to box his ears. Digging an underhook and wrestling isn't Fedor's game.

As far as the Randleplex I doubt it occured to Fedor this move was a possibility. The reality is Fedor probably wasn't training with a bunch of crazy jacked western style wrestlers who could do something like that.

He takes risks like no other. Which to me makes him even greater, as he trusts in his wherewithal and will to prevail in the midst of the chaos, streak be damned.

Each GOAT candidate is unique and there is not one blueprint to greatness, Shermano

Fedor is a higher level grappler than GSP or Jones ever were. People make mistakes, esp. later in their career, and Fedor always said that someday he would lose. Well, it happened but it took a long fucking time. I suspect you were in elementary school at the time TS. Calling you on a shitty hate post here with little to back your statements up with.

Sambo

EDIT: For your edification:

Last edited:
Back