Fedor Emelianenko's Striking Defense and Head Movement

Fedor's right straight is a thing of beauty.

It sure is sir, it sure is.

I personally love the jab, cross, jab in this video.

So quick, accurate and light on his feet.

Simple athletes like Lesnar were lightyears away from this level of striking.

As crazy as this may sound Fedor uses a more boxing stand up stance and is able to move in and out on the balls of his feet avoiding strikes and setting up counters using only inches...He actually reminds me of a boxing champion Greg Haugen with his footwork, timing and stance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoEemQ_rIfI

Watch Haugen's feet, distance and counter timing.

With Fedor coming back to fight again and with the strong possibility of him fighting in the UFC, I thought it would be worthwhile to create a thread to both showcase and appreciate his technical abilities. That way fans who are not as familiar with him can get an exposure of his overall skill level.

He was all around amazing.
But a lot of his technical abilities and skill level were at their best 10 years ago. Technique/skill need to be complimented by speed/strength and I just don't see a guy who is approaching 40 still 'having it'.
But then again, he isn't just any guy approaching 40, he is FEDOR.

Here is a story about Monte Cox and Kerry Schall getting an offer to fight Fedor (before he was FEDOR).
(from fiveouncesofpain: complete link:
http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/10...of-tonights-shoxc-event-from-hammond-indiana/

"The 37-year old Schall is a veteran from the second season of Spike TV’s hit reality show The Ultimate Fighter. He departed the show without having competed after injuring his knee. That’s just one example of how the 10-year veteran has dealt with bad luck throughout his entire career.

His string of bad luck dates back to 2001 while competing for the Rings promotion in Japan. Rings officials approached Schall’s manager, Monte Cox, with a proposed match against a short, inexperienced, and unassuming Russian heavyweight. Cox and Schall ventured to Japan under the impression they were looking at a layup victory against a tomato can. Unfortunately, the unassuming Russian heavyweight turned out to be a then 25-year old Fedor Emelianenko, who was competing in just his sixth pro fight.

Fedor ended up demolishing Schall, submitting him at 1:47 of round 1. The rest, shall we say, is history?"

That highlight clip got me all misty eyed about the bygone days of Pride rules where knees on the ground were legal and the reckless brutality of soccer kicks was a thing of beauty.

The way other fighters talk about and look at Fedor never cease to impress me

When even the best of your discipline say you're special, you're fucking special

He was all around amazing.
But a lot of his technical abilities and skill level were at their best 10 years ago. Technique/skill need to be complimented by speed/strength and I just don't see a guy who is approaching 40 still 'having it'.
But then again, he isn't just any guy approaching 40, he is FEDOR.

Here is a story about Monte Cox and Kerry Schall getting an offer to fight Fedor (before he was FEDOR).
(from fiveouncesofpain: complete link:
http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/10...of-tonights-shoxc-event-from-hammond-indiana/

"The 37-year old Schall is a veteran from the second season of Spike TV’s hit reality show The Ultimate Fighter. He departed the show without having competed after injuring his knee. That’s just one example of how the 10-year veteran has dealt with bad luck throughout his entire career.

His string of bad luck dates back to 2001 while competing for the Rings promotion in Japan. Rings officials approached Schall’s manager, Monte Cox, with a proposed match against a short, inexperienced, and unassuming Russian heavyweight. Cox and Schall ventured to Japan under the impression they were looking at a layup victory against a tomato can. Unfortunately, the unassuming Russian heavyweight turned out to be a then 25-year old Fedor Emelianenko, who was competing in just his sixth pro fight.

Fedor ended up demolishing Schall, submitting him at 1:47 of round 1. The rest, shall we say, is history?"
Randy and Hendo have done it.

Randy and Hendo have done it.

Yea, that's true.
No doubt they were able to stay young by eating a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables in a healthy organic diet....

GTFO
You know how they did it.

Yea, that's true.
No doubt they were able to stay young by eating a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables in a healthy organic diet....

GTFO
You know how they did it.

And Fedor's a cyborg. So what's your point?

just seems so light on his feet in these videos, totally got me stoked to go rewatch some old fedor fights <3

The check of Mirko's left middle kick was simply a thing of beauty. Absolutely amazing reflexes.

GOAT

The check of Mirko's left middle kick was simply a thing of beauty. Absolutely amazing reflexes.

GOAT

That was awesome, and even better he hit Mirko with a right head kick. You could see Mirko going, "WTF!!!???"

Much respect in this thread.

Fedor always commented that he knows the fundamentals, but sometimes they go out the window when he fights. I mean, he still has his reflexes, but he was in some dangerous positions at times.

I hope he comes back the right way.

Yup. I recently focused on his striking evasion and defence and it was absolutely elite.

Fedor-suplexing-Herring.gif

I like how the ref hops up when Fedor and Herring hit the canvas.

GOAT
Also i can't believe people is comparing him with Ronda. I'm a Ronda fan but her striking/defense are weak

Yes, at the latter part of his career with those losses, it's quite clear that not only had he lost his focus on the physiological training, losing his strength but his entire fight game consisted of head hunting.

At the top of his game, Fedor, if he is serious, even now is the best at HW

Fedor was literally the smoothest fighter there has been in MMA... GSP is the only other guy who had transitions between striking and grappling that were as good (maybe better)... Fedor's fights against Nog were literally him piecing up Nog, ragdolling him, and then blasting his head through the canvas... There was no one that's ever done that when Nog was clearly at his best, nor did anyone truly outplay Mirko on the feet like Fedor did... No one thought Fedor was gonna beat Herring and yet, he fucking smashed him

Back