favourite full mount attacks

Crooks

White Belt
Reaction score
i find my self lost for attacks from full mount when i am rolling. i would feel much more comfortable just switching off into side mount or scarf, and find when i'm rolling with people or watching them, they either ride out the bridges or stay low to avoid things like the knee push escape. i know in BJJ when you get mounted the fight is far from over, but full mount is such a dominant possition.

i find the attacks attemped most on me are sleeve chokes, collar chokes and fist chokes.

what are some of your favourite and/or most effectove full mount attacks?

I like to grapevine when im in mount and getting ready to get bridged. Also the gi chokes are ok, but I'm like you, I would prefer sidemount in BJJ (unless I NEED the points ;) ) I just feel more comfortable in side control, also its like sometimes I would prefer to be mounted than have someone with good side control over me since Im better at escaping the mount. I figure it will change once I get better at getting out of side control.

i always liked the keylock, cause you can always turn it into a stright arm bar (the other arm) or a wrist lock.

Keylock attempts while looking for an armabr opening. Also, trying to trap one fo their amrs across their throat then transitioning into an armbar ont hat arm.

thanks guys, i appreacite the feedback,

when someone goes for a key lock or paintbrush on me when they have mounted me i find thier body weight is shifted over the shoulder of the arm they are attacking so they are very easy to dump.

i'm glad i'm not the only fan of side control over mount haha

Crooks said:

when someone goes for a key lock or paintbrush on me when they have mounted me i find thier body weight is shifted over the shoulder of the arm they are attacking so they are very easy to dump.

coo, i'll watch out for that

Crooks said:

Saulo Ribeiro's instructionals often have him opting for either an S mount or a modified knee-on-belly when attacking from the mount for just that reason. I'm trying to remember to try this "re-positioning" whenever I end up in the full mount.

But I also feel more comfortable in side control than in any other "dominant" position ...

Any kata gatame fans?

the mount sucks overall for grappling because you cant hit that is the purpose of mount.

you can try a kimura, and then when they try to roll you slip over and arm bar them.

Count me in with the prefer-side-control-over-mount group.
Mount is great against newbs or other inexperienced people, and for getting points in competition, and in vale tudo and streetfights (again, against someone not familiar with the mount).
But when sparring or against someone familiar with mount escapes, I ALWAYS feel much more stable and comfortable in side control, especially if the opponent is much bigger and heavier than I am.
I do love the triangle from mount though...

All i've really tried so far is grapevining them. When they try to push me off, I just brush their hands up, wrap one arm over the front of their throat and snake an arm under their neck to hold the wrist of that arm. From there, I just know how to either slip my free arm between their own arm and throat for a mean forearm choke, or just lean my weight onto their elbow for a wristlock.

Huge kesa gatame fan here. It's such a dominant position and my favorite series of submissions is there.

But guys please, if you have the mount, STAY ON IT unless you get bucked off. There is no reason to switch out of the mount position once you have it. Start working on subs from the mount, don't run from it because you aren't very good at it, you will become stale just going to your favorite position not developing your whole game.

Again, never voluntarily give up that position.

I'm more for side mount than full as I seem to control it better and have a more dangerous submission game from there as well.

Hate the full mount honestly. I'll let the guy get half guard just to be able to work some shit comfortabley.

Personally I go for keylocks or chokes, i do no gi only.
I only really do those things to make them work from the bottom and if they get sloppy and give me an opening i'll take it.

I do a few different things

- Press down on the sternum and one of their arms will come up for the armbar

- Caveman Forearm Choke, and they'll bring one of their arms up for an armbar

- Underhook under their left shoulder with my right hand (or visa versa) and then use a gable grip to clasp my hands, then i bring my left leg over their head and roll to my back crossing my feet and keep pressure on their back to keep their posture broken. Then i should have a choice between an ude getame, kimura and omoplata, if they sit up I have at triangle

- Keylock from a really high mount-> Arm Triangle or Mounted Triangle depending on where they move their arms in reaction to the keylock

- Sometimes i get a kimura then go to side control, north south while walking it around into

- I also like sode jime and lapel chokes into armbar in the gi

Americana, Kimura, Armbar, Triangle and Arm triangle. I love the Mount because if i get sweeped (im the smallest one usually in class so it happens i simply get over powered) i got guard or i can take their backs.

Back