farmboy's attempt to gain mass

to be precise...i did say without ever maxing....that does not mean constantly......

This just isn't true. Gaining weight is solely a matter of consuming more calories than you burn. Yes, cutting down on the volume might help him burn less and some exercises are better than others at stimulating muscle growth. But as far as his bodyweight not changing, this is a function of diet.

It doesn't matter how heavy you lift or what you take. If you aren't consuming more calories than you burn you will NOT gain weight.

Saaavage is correct on his initial point. I see "hardgainers" all the time. They consume usually about 5-7,000 calories per day. They do so little cardio it's ridiculous (because they're DEATHLY afraid of burning muscle), and they do not see the gains anyway. There's typically two things wrong. One is they aren't lifting heavy enough. Any Pro Bodybuilder or Powerlifter will tell you big weight = big muscles, period. Not to mention that just like eating (how you say a person can always eat more even when they don't think so or think they eat enough) same is true for lifting. Very few people ACTUALLY push their strength in the gym. They get comfortable, slightly stagnant, and wonder why they make no progress. The second thing wrong is rest-cycles are usually all fucked up. People under-estimate the body's need for proper rest regardless of what recovery supplements a person takes.

Farmboy - be PATIENT. Going from a fast-metabolism skinny guy takes TIME. You're attempting to undo YEARS of how your body was used to functioning. It's almost re-arranging your biological mechanisms completely in a sense. It's going to take time, and lots of tears for periods of months where you think you see no gains. Get that out of your head. Instead, set goals, smaller more realistic goals (20lbs of muscle in 3 months for instance is NOT typically realistic without drastic measures or drugs), but rather small goals in your training and accomplish them. Then forget them, they're done, overwith, in the bank, move on to the next goal. This will keep you mentally satisfied and occupied, so you don't obsess so much over your non-achievement of your MAIN goal that you become what hinders you.

There's some decent advice in this thread for bulking as well:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=302584

Good luck man.

farmboy said:
So, 5 setsX5 reps is too much, then?

I mean it depends on the weight you are using when you do these lifts...I would prefer something like 3 or 4 sets at 5 reps each or even tapering down to 1-3 reps in your closing sets....And like I said its better to do safe lifts where you can go to "failure" becasue that is where they most damage/repairing/growth occurs....Im sure KK could explain the scientfic processes involved in the growth at length, but that is it in a nutshell

King, you are certainly worthy of your name. Thank you for your advice. Patience is my biggest problem. In a world where everything is "I wnat it now, it's hard to slow down and just wait for the results, which I guess in a way, I am seeing big increases in strength, bigger than I've ever had. Mostly due to the fact that I amlifting heavier than ever before, and I'm doing lifts that I never did: i.e. deadlift, squats, etc...

So, I'm sure the mass will come. If I could get up to a lean 180 I'd be ecstatic. Like you said, I've got this cursed super-high metabolism, but I guess there's people out there that would die for it. Again, thanks for the encouragement, and to you, everyone who has given advice. Saaavage, thanks. I'll be seeing you guys around the boards.

12/24/05 Saturday
Deadlift 205lb/5 sets X 5 reps
Weighted Dips 25lb/1 set X 5 reps, 27 1/2lb 4 sets X 5 reps
Cable Pulldowns 100lb/2 sets X 8 reps
Reverse Hypers 2 sets X 8 reps

12/26/05 Monday
Barbell Front Squat 135lb/5 sets X 5 reps
Incline Bench 145lb/5 sets X 5 reps
Bulgarian Split Squat 25lb DB/2 sets X 7 reps
One Arm Row 25lb/2 sets X 8 reps
Crunch Pulldowns 115lb/3 sets X 8 reps

I was doing the barbell front squats the other day and got a sharp pain in my right wrist. My left was ok. To start, I probably haven't been holding the bar completely correctly since I've been doing the front squats, anyway. My wrists aren't very flexible, especially my right one.

Anyway, I tried to let the bar go back as far as I could get it the yesterday while lifting, and was able to get it to the position where it was pretty much resting on my shoulders/chest area, like this:
http://www.purekracht.nl/menu_items/images/custom/Front-Squat.jpg

So, my wrists were a little sore, no big. Hopefully I'll get used to it, but the cool thing was, I didn't feel so off-balance, like I had to lean to keep the weight even. Oh well, no big newsflash or anything. Not suprising that if you do an exercise with correct for and it becomes easier to do.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas or whatever you celebrate.

Wednesday 12/28/05
Cardio first (5:30am)
Jump Rope 90 reps (90 sec rest) X 8 sets

Weigthed Chin Ups 12.5lb/5 sets X 5 reps
Hang Clean and Press 110lb/5 sets X 5 reps
DB Pullthroughs 30lb/2 sets X 8 reps
Weighted Sit Ups 25lb/2 sets X 8 reps

i mean one thing you could do here is up that hang clean and press by as much weight as you can and still try to get out of it like 3 sets at 5 reps at the increased weight...its a relatively safe exercise to di without a spotter just be sure not to drop it on yourself....plus when you do it you can call into play all of the supporting muscles so its a hell of a workout

Thursday 12/29/05
Cardio
Jump Rope 4 sets X 90 reps
Burpees 4 sets X 10 reps

Friday 12/30/05
This is the end of phase 2, so next Monday I'll be starting the next phase. I'll go mcuh (or slightly) heavier (depending on what I can actually get up!).

Deadlift 210lb/5 sets X 4 reps
Weighted Dips 45lb/5 sets X 5 reps
Cable Pelldowns 105lb/2 sets X 8 reps
Reverse Hypers/2 sets X 8 reps

210 on the deadlift was really tough for me. As you can see, I had to cut it down to 4 reps from the normal 5 that this phase called for. I hope I did the right thing by thing by continuing to up the weight from last week. Next week will be even heavier (hopefully), but the number of sets will be significantly less.

I think he has a new training thread bro.

Back