failure on bodyweight exercises

toufeksian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ive started doing a lot more bodyweight exercise and i feel a real good improvement since doing them much more often and with more intensity.

what do u think of training pushups, pullups, squats , etc until failure? for me i think its a lot less stressfull than for example hit failure on bench press on 1 rep and i can do it almost on a daily basis, u think it would be too much?

I did bodyweight exercises exclusively until last year. BW stuff will keep you fit and they're great for endurance training. I've added squats and dls with a mix of oly lifts and I've had some great results (strength gains), but I'm still a work in progress.

It comes down to what your goals are.

Train every set of bodyweight lifts to failure.

Training this way will interfere with lifting if you train hard enough.

Also, bodyweight stuff will not allow for adequate development of legs. They already carry your ass around all day. Bodyweight squats wont do shit for limit strength. If you want real strength you will have to hit the weights sooner or later.

That being said, bodyweight exercises are awesome and make a really nice complement to actual weight training.

Do both.

TheNerdKing said:

Also, bodyweight stuff will not allow for adequate development of legs. They already carry your ass around all day. Bodyweight squats wont do shit for limit strength. If you want real strength you will have to hit the weights sooner or later.

That being said, bodyweight exercises are awesome and make a really nice complement to actual weight training.

Do both.

Pistols man, pistols.

TheNerdKing said:

Do both.
I agree. Only doing BW exercises will help leg flexibility and movement, but will do nothing for strength. Even doing something small like hopping on your toes will do more for building leg muscle than only peforming bodyweight squats.

X The Dude X said:
I agree. Only doing BW exercises will help leg flexibility and movement, but will do nothing for strength. Even doing something small like hopping on your toes will do more for building leg muscle than only peforming bodyweight squats.

I repeat: "pistols, man. pistols"

bacon said:
I repeat: "pistols, man. pistols"

I've never tried pistols. I do have a legimate question though. Do you guys really notice any carryover between pistols and squat limit strength? Does being able to do pistols make you better at squats? Does having a big squat make one better at pistols? I've always assumed that doing pistols would just increase my ability to do pistols and wouldn't carryover much to back squats. Am I wrong? Urban? Anyone?

Barut, I've never done them myself, but I am almost positive it was Urban I was talking to (If it wasn't you, please accept my apology in advance) who said he noticed little to no carryover from pistols to squats. I wouldn't imagine that the carryover would be worth the time put in. Im sure there are plenty of more effective exercises.

Here's where I'm going to contradict myself...

Pistols, jumping rope, burpees and miles upon miles of running used to be my entire leg routine. I could do 8 pistols per leg, without cheating. A Pistol is essentially a one-legged squat with one foot held out in front of you (for those that don't know).

Midway through last year, I discovered S&P and have since started squats, dl, gm... I don't have a power rack yet, so I can only squat (front) what I can clean which is about 165.

I can't honestly say that better pistol performance translates to better squat performance or vice versa. I will say that being good at pistols doesn't hurt and that any benefit (pistol to squat wise) would be on par with pushup performance to bench performance.

If all you got is BW, pistols should be a staple in your routine.

If all you got is BW, pistols should be a staple in your routine.

I agree, If all you got is BW to work with, then they are definately worth a shot.

Thanks for the responses guys. I might try to do a pistol or two in a couple of minutes.

Edit: I did one right-legged, but my left quad cramped all to hell due to holding it in front of me. I hope this won't affect my planned squat workout today. Conclusion-Pistols make you less able to squat heavy.

Barut said:
Thanks for the responses guys. I might try to do a pistol or two in a couple of minutes.

Edit: I did one right-legged, but my left quad cramped all to hell due to holding it in front of me. I hope this won't affect my planned squat workout today. Conclusion-Pistols make you less able to squat heavy.

LOL! There's a lot of balance involved. Try it again with your free hand on a counter for balance. Try to keep your back straight. Good Luck

Barut said:
I editted the post before your post. editowned
Dude, you should not do this to your Best Friend. Now I feel silly and everyone is gonna laugh at me.

*Points and laughs*

I did one on my left leg. I went down until my calf and hammy touched and came back up. It wasn't too hard.

Conclusion - Squatting MIGHT make you better at pistols.

Pistols = good shit
Heavy squats = good shit

Go on circulate nothing to see here..;)

Holy Cow, I just did one per leg and they were not easy at all. I seriously almost did lose my balance, not to mention it was bit hard getting off the bottom.

Give it a few weeks and you'll be pumpin em out like it ain't no thang. I've seen your squat numbers (barut, rickdog) so it's definitly not a question of strength for you guys. The balance and flexibility are probably your areas for improvement. That's easy. My problem is my weakass squat. THAT will take many hours/months to fix...

im not doing ONLY BW exercises , im stick with the weights , im never gonna drop em , but like im also training muay thai , now i feel a lot more explosive , but still u think till failure 4 days x week of sets of bw exercises would be too much stress on CNS?

Back