• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fabricated robberies

Marlon Morraes vs Aldo is another good example. Aldo got hurt bad in round 1, round 2 he found his groove back and in round 3 he pressure Marlon non-stop but he was the one getting damaged. Hovewer, the robbery narrative was convinient for the ufc to justify an Aldo TS and some fans ran with it.
That was my first thought and basically same impression. I was getting aggravated during the 3rd watching Aldo just chase straight forward, not cut off the cage, get the worst of most exchanges and continue to get circled out on. Then afterwards, hear a bunch of people upset with the decision? Almost felt like a purposeful campaign just so Dana could ignore the loss and do the title fight anyway.

The only thing I know about robberies is that the closer the fight the more outage there is which is contradictory to it being a "robbery".

With Aldo/Moraes I don't think the UFC wanted to give Aldo a title shot already. I think it was more of a case of just because Dana thought Aldo won he is the objective judge and did what he wanted. Yet lots of people thought Lyoto beat Rampage, including Rampage himself, but Dana's response basically equated to "well I don't agree so everyone else is wrong".

Izzy outstruck Whittaker in every round except 1. Whittaker won 2 rounds at absolute best.
Are you talking about stats or about perception? And which are the rounds you are saying he won at best?

I thought Whittaker won 4 and 5 convincingly.

Are you talking about stats or about perception? And which are the rounds you are saying he won at best?

I thought Whittaker won 4 and 5 convincingly.
I can't remember but I felt like it was a stretch to give Whittaker 2 rounds. I thought it was arguably 49-46. Definitely 48-47 at worst.

Honestly I think a lot of the most egregious robberies are fights people don't even remember because they don't care about either of the fighters involved.

My go to example is always Michihiro Omigawa vs Darren Elkins on the JDS/Carwin card. It was on early in the prelims and both were coming off of losses. Should have been a very clear 30-27 for Omigawa.

He outboxed Elkins in all 3 rounds, butchering his face (which has since become Elkins' calling card of course). Essentially landed everything he threw whilst avoiding any returning fire with some really slick head movement. Everytime Elkins went for a takedown he shrugged him off easily with his strong judo base, it was a complete shutout.

All 3 judges scored the fight for Elkins and someone even gave Elkins a 30-27. Nobody cared. Commentary didn't really dwell on it beyond some mild surprise at the result right after, never saw any threads here about it. Never gets brought up in threads about the worst robberies, except for when I mention it.

Yet its not uncommon to see fights fhat weren't even robberies get talked about as being the worst of all time, and it always involves champions or the big names of the sport.
More people shit their pants about Joe Soliz giving Jon a 4-1 victory over Reyes (which makes no sense when they wouldn't condemn either of the other 2 split judges), but conveniently forget earlier that night where Soliz gave Giles a round over Krause where Giles had nearly no offense and got his back ridden for 4 minutes. And not only is that NOT a case of him being ignorant of grappling since he was a blackbelt and BJJ instructor, but it's even more egregious since he was belted and instructed for years under Giles' head coach at his gym.

I remember a few times in threads about robberies where some people tried to argue that the "biggest" in biggest robberies didn't refer to the wideness of how badly it was scored but just the size of the fight

Usman over khamzat makes more sense than giving khamzat a 10-8 first round.

Anyway. The real issue is the judging system. There have been so many shifty decisions that it makes somewhat close fights look like robberies bc nobody knows what the judges look for nowadays.

Also we need to quit with the stupid 10-8s being handed out so easily. It will ruin the sport

shame that's the only round he won
He didn't win that round though.

lmfao keep telling yourself that.
I don't think he needs to tell himself that RDA got the majority nod in round 1 and 4. That's just a fact

Im not a colby fan, I just dont delude myself

you're just a deranged hater.
I think Colby obviously won that, but you are also obviously only responding as a contrarian here. Best not throwing around 'delusions' from that chair

Last edited:
A lot of people were screaming about Evan Dunham being robbed against Sean Sherk and a lot of peoples were wrong
I had Dunham easy. This is one of those fights that, especially now after seeing more robberies, I'd only categorize as "You CAN score it either way, but man you'd be pretty bad to." But people have kept it in their top worsts ever, which should be more of a "How on Earth could you score it that way?"

There is literally no argument RDA beat Colby other than being biased.

I doubt even RDA thinks he won that fight. lol
Yes there one hundred percent is and the fact is some media people saw it that way and 24% of fans on mma decisions. Colby did nothing with his takedowns and got outstruck almost every round. Are you giving him rounds based off time spent pushing people against the cage?

I disagree with a bunch of these and think you're the one cherrypicking narratives for them.

Which gets to the actual real reasons why fans (nearly) can't ever fully agree on close fights and robberies:

- it's all subjective, there's no objective scoring in MMA like in other sports. 1 goal = 1 point doesn't exist here.
- that just gets even worse when you add in we'll have biases for fighters
- surprising performances get heavily overweighted, even when they're not actually winning those rounds/fights

It's why you'll see posters with wildly inconsistent scoring. People have complained for decades they hate useless TDs and they shouldn't be scored if nothing happens, then those same posters say without a hint of irony that Strickland falling off his own chair after hitting DDP a dozen times means DDP won their brawl.

Basically everybody's just making shit up to fit their own narratives. At least be honest about instead of pretending to be some objective outside observer just calling it the way it is. There's nothing objective about MMA which is the entire reason scorecards can be all over the place.

And hey, at least we're nowhere near boxing where the refs and judges actually just make up whatever the fuck they want in spite of defined rules to justify the decision they want. In boxing they don't even bother hiding their corruption about the points system and judges cards. Everybody knows you need a KO to avoid it. And even then they'll still do shit like in the Tyson/Wilder fights where they're all over the place. Wilder KO'd Fury dead in the 1st and they gave him an extra long count to ensure he made it instead of just calling it and immediate KO when he was a literal corpse on the floor. Fury then drops Wilder far less bad and he's still conscious and it's called an immediate KO instead of giving him a count.

Any time you wanna complain about MMA scoring at least we're nowhere near boxing levels bad where it's just blatant corruption staring you in the face.

Yes there one hundred percent is and the fact is some media people saw it that way and 24% of fans on mma decisions. Colby did nothing with his takedowns and got outstruck almost every round. Are you giving him rounds based off time spent pushing people against the cage?
And? There are more people that gave Colby the fight 49-46 than people giving RDA the fight.

I think it's beyond ludicrous to give RDA the win in that fight.

And? There are more people that gave Colby the fight 49-46 than people giving RDA the fight.

I think it's beyond ludicrous to give RDA the win in that fight.
And I think you’re completely blind how about that, cause I can’t understand how You don’t see 48-47 RDA

i know EXACTLY why they scored it for Colby, he landed on the guard a lot which looked like real strikes and pushed rda against the fence and took him down a bit, I know that THAT is why they were giving him rounds, but if you can’t notice that “ hey actually this colby guy isn’t really landing much and his takedowns are lasting like 20 seconds at most, he’s pulling a clay guida on us right now “ then you lack any independent thinking

And I think you’re completely blind how about that, cause I can’t understand how You don’t see 48-47 RDA

i know EXACTLY why they scored it for Colby, he landed on the guard a lot which looked like real strikes and pushed rda against the fence and took him down a bit, I know that THAT is why they were giving him rounds, but if you can’t notice that “ hey actually this colby guy isn’t really landing much and his takedowns are lasting like 20 seconds at most, he’s pulling a clay guida on us right now “ then you lack any independent thinking
It sounds like nothing but RDA fanboyism and Colby hatred. Nothing more, nothing less. It's you who is blinded, not I.

Fan of both guys (at least at the time of the fight), thought it was a pretty clear Colby win.

It sounds like nothing but RDA fanboyism and Colby hatred. Nothing more, nothing less. It's you who is blinded, not I.

Fan of both guys (at least at the time of the fight), thought it was a pretty clear Colby win.
Oh my days, who is an RDA fanboy at this point? Genuinely? I have nothing against colby either like I was telling the other guy, I half wanted him to beat leon and I’m also right wing and he’s never beaten my favourite welterweight or anything like that, I’ve no reason to dislike him, I’m not like you this isnt “oh well I like this guy more and this guy less so let’s call robbery or pretend the decision was correct” I care about people getting robbed much more than fanboying

im so not a fanboy in these situations, my favourite fighter is yoel and i will gladly accept that he didn’t beat jacare, it should have been a draw. ITS NOT ABOUT MAKING ANY ONE FIGHTER LOOK GOOD. It’s about the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth

i IMPLORE you to rewatch round 2, and count how many of colbys strikes land, slow it down, rewind it, whatever, just tally up the strikes even just in your head, and I guarantee you will agree with me, unless you’re a “he pushed him against the cage that means he wins!” guy

I will always believe that Frankie Edgar beat Ben Henderson in the rematch and got robbed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back