Explosivness

jkuhlmann

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
i do alot of body weight exersice which is good, but i feel as though i lack explosivenss. i have lifted weights in the past, but the way i trained i don't think i helped myself become more explosive.

does anyone know any good exersices, body weight or weighted that could help me?

i did a search, nothing came up or i wouldn't have created this......i'll check the stickies.

since the search functions fucked for some reason: Oly lifts and variations, plyo's, dynamic lifting, medicine ball throws, but as mentioned above you need to build up a solid strenght base before you get into these.

Start putting plyometric exercises into your training routine, their the best thing for increasing explosiveness, Oly lifts are good but will require much more of a strength base and can be dangerous if performed incorrectly.

u need a strength base before you start plyos tho , otherwise u wont be strong enough to really get the benefits of a good plyo routine. start lifting weights again , round 10 -15 reps to get conditioned for about 4 weeks, then drop the reps to the 4 -6 range for another 4 - 6 weeks , then start with plyos. also , lift your weights as fast as u can .

plyo exercises, jumping squats, stadium step jumps, side to side hops, and run some sprints

u need a really strong core - 'inner unit' and 'outer unit'. this is where all you torque and power originates from. get on a swiss ball, BOSU and/or air disc

get a strength base by performing compound movements such as bench press, leg press (moving on to squats after a month or so), shoulder press, chin ups and barbell row. then add some plyometrics, such as depth jumps.
also up hill sprints are good.

Olympic lifts are arguably the most effective, but u need someone to instruct u.

this is a useful site : http://www.dolfzine.com/page2.htm

u also need to replicate the movements u need power for, e.g. a punch, using a cable machine, and or medicine ball.

in addition, when u perform weight lifting movements, perform them at speed. e.g. bench press with lighter weight, but push it up as quick as poss, bring it down controlled, then explode upwards again. do not lock out ur elbows. this is v good with a med ball and a partner.

complex training is also good. perform one set of bench press followed by 1 set of explosive chest passes with a med ball

no. no plyos, no oly movments. get a strength base first. When you have a wilks of 300 come back and we'll talk about other shit, but until then, strive to increase you peak strength and your explosiveness will increase as a result.

The best way to capitalize on your strength training is to do enough specific training throughout the week. As a rule of thumb I think you should be spending twice as much time on what you're training for as you do on any one supplement for that. So if you want to be a boxer and you spend 3 hours a week in the weight room, be sure you're spending at least six hours a week boxing.

Urban said:
When you have a wilks of 300 come back and we'll talk about other shit, but until then, strive to increase you peak strength and your explosiveness will increase as a result.
what are/is WILKS?

Urban said:
. So if you want to be a boxer and you spend 3 hours a week in the weight room, be sure you're spending at least six hours a week boxing.

i compete in grappling tournaments.

i train in BJJ and at JKD school that is proficient in MMA for a possible future in nhb.

as far as spending double time on technique, that goes w/o saying. i've only been in the weight room 1 or 2 days a week, tops.

i feel as though i have a good strength base from my calestenics (SP), and have sufficienct muscular endurance, however i feel i lack explosiveness to complement the endurance.

i've been doing sprints/hills regularly, but will this help explosiveness in grappling (ex: pushing a guy off from on top of me and getting out from under)....

i like the idea of doing explosive reps with basic weight lifting....good idea?

Good strength base through calisthenics?

Whoa...........................

Confusion starts setting in...............

the wilks coefficient was developed to solve the non-linear relationship between bodyweight and weight lifted. IE it's easier for a 150 lb lifter to lift 300 lbs than it is for a 300 lb lifter to lift 600 lbs on the same lift. So wilks takes your bodyweight and your powerlifting total (Bench + deadlift + squat) and gives you a score that can be used to determine the strongest lifter at a meet regardless of weight class. If you think your calisthenics have given you an adequate base I suggest you check your wilks and figure it out. You can find wilks calculators through google pretty easily.

if you are talking about being athletic, (ex. jumping, running etc) good to develop a strength base first, but you can squat 700lbs and it ain't gonna make you jump no higher.

We used to have to double-leg jump up flights of stairs, two stairs at a time, with our hands on top of our heads, for track. When it got too easy we used weighted vests. My vertical improved. Think flying knees!

cockysprinter said:
screw that. stop messing around and learn olys.
I agree completely. Especially this early in the game, the benefits will far outweigh the short amount of time it will take you to learn these lifts. IMO, there are no lifts that you can do that are "easier" that can even come close to touching the effectiveness of the Oly LIfts.

For the record, I disagree that squatting won't make you jump higher.

In my opinion, after a while of heavy lifting it will reach it's peak for helping athleticism.

Thats when you start doing dynamics and plyos.

salboski said:
if you are talking about being athletic, (ex. jumping, running etc) good to develop a strength base first, but you can squat 700lbs and it ain't gonna make you jump no higher.

Power is a function of strength. If you train low reps and get stronger (not shifting the force-output curve to the left), you will jump higher from being stronger.

anybody got a link to a wilk's calculator? i can't find shit.

Back