Explosivness

Urban said:
the wilks coefficient was developed to solve the non-linear relationship between bodyweight and weight lifted. IE it's easier for a 150 lb lifter to lift 300 lbs than it is for a 300 lb lifter to lift 600 lbs on the same lift. So wilks takes your bodyweight and your powerlifting total (Bench + deadlift + squat) and gives you a score that can be used to determine the strongest lifter at a meet regardless of weight class. If you think your calisthenics have given you an adequate base I suggest you check your wilks and figure it out. You can find wilks calculators through google pretty easily.

Urban, Ed Coan's lifts are the highest scoring for Wilk's, aren't they?

rickdog said:
I agree completely. Especially this early in the game, the benefits will far outweigh the short amount of time it will take you to learn these lifts. IMO, there are no lifts that you can do that are "easier" that can even come close to touching the effectiveness of the Oly LIfts.

I think for many athletes the snatch is superfluous. And it takes a long time to learn, not a little.

one arm dumbell snatches are good tho, pretty basic to learn too.

squatting WONT make you jump higher. but bodyweight jumps will! i learned this through trial and error

OpethDrums said:
squatting WONT make you jump higher. but bodyweight jumps will! i learned this through trial and error

Opeth, this is wrong. This is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Did you see my post above?

Don't give me anecdote, I can jump higher than you. If you call bullshit, we can both post video.

Madmick said:
Urban, Ed Coan's lifts are the highest scoring for Wilk's, aren't they?
Actually, I want to say Chuck V. holds the record, but to be totally honest I'm not sure.

Urban said:
Actually, I want to say Chuck V. holds the record, but to be totally honest I'm not sure.

Haha, dang, I was figuring you had some cracked out website with annals of Wilks scores going back 7 decades.

ok, using the world record totals found here: http://www.powermagonline.com/latest-news/records.asp I got a wilks calc and put them all in. As it turns out, the biggest guy, Gary frank has the record with a score of 690.713 making him the lb for lb strongest PLer on the planet topping the scales at 375 lbs. In second place Frank is followed by the lightest guy on the list Sergei Fedosienko who has a score of 677.39375. Here are the scores for all the world record totals aranged by weight class from lightest to heaviest:

Sergei Fedosienko - 677.39375
Konstantin Pavlov - 625.83125
Ravil Kazakov - 631.146
Jaroslaw Olech - 641.8575
Oleksandr Kutcher - 647.3971
Arnold Coleman - 643.43895
Jesse Kellum - 647.0184
Travis Mash - 666.417
Steve Goggins - 662.35675
Steve Goggins - 655.27
Paul Childress - 653.796
Garry Frank - 690.713

Urban said:
ok, using the world record totals found here: http://www.powermagonline.com/latest-news/records.asp I got a wilks calc and put them all in. As it turns out, the biggest guy, Gary frank has the record with a score of 690.713 making him the lb for lb strongest PLer on the planet topping the scales at 375 lbs. In second place Frank is followed by the lightest guy on the list Sergei Fedosienko who has a score of 677.39375. Here are the scores for all the world record totals aranged by weight class from lightest to heaviest:

Ravil Kazakov - 631.146
Jesse Kellum - 647.0184
Travis Mash - 666.417
Steve Goggins - 655.27
Paul Childress - 653.796
Garry Frank - 690.713

Awesome. Thanks, Urban.

Madmick said:
I think for many athletes the snatch is superfluous. And it takes a long time to learn, not a little.

If you really want power in the lowerbody the clean, the dynamic box squat, and the full squat are the way to go. I would also make sure to hit the Pos chain.

Foulsmeller said:
If you really want power in the lowerbody the clean, the dynamic box squat, and the full squat are the way to go. I would also make sure to hit the Pos chain.

Yeah, I'm with you. I don't see why non-weightlifters would incorporate the snatch instead of the clean. Maybe strongmen and Highland competitors who have to do the keg/hay toss?

cockysprinter said:

I don't think the clean takes very long to learn. It can be taught in a couple of weeks. The snatch is a different story, cocky. That is one hell of an advanced lift.

And I'm a huge fan of the olympic lifts, I just don't see any advantages of the snatch over the clean for combat athletes.

I mean, when I have to restrict an athlete's entire regimen to 6-8 exercises, I want to hit the whole body but in completely different ways. If I put the snatch in I have to take, what, the squat or the deadlift out? I see the clean/squat or clean/deadlift as superior couples to the clean/snatch.

Urban said:

Ravil Kazakov - 631.146
Jesse Kellum - 647.0184
Travis Mash - 666.417
Steve Goggins - 655.27
Paul Childress - 653.796
Garry Frank - 690.713

There is a lot of debate on whether or not the hightest Wilks = strongest lb for lb, personally I don't believe it does.

I also don't believe that if a 80 pound midget squats 600 lbs that makes him the stongest person in the world, but there is an argument to be made for a comparison of guys totals (squat-bench-and deadlifts) in respect to their bodyweights.

Sergei Fedosienko who totaled 1516 at 114 for a 13.25 times his bodyweight.

In the past year or two a bunch of other Russians and Eastern Europeans have totaled over 12 times their weight at the sub 165 classes including Alexei Sivokon.
I think Lamar Grant may have totaled close to 12 times his weight back in the early 80's (also the only man to ever deadlift 5 times his BW - 684 at 132)

Also recently a couple of middleweights Arnold Coleman and Jesse Kellum have totaled over 11 times their weight.
Ron Palmer did 2100 at 181 in the early 80's.

For the heavyweights - Steve Goggins and Ed Coan have both totaled 10 times BW

Also Andrzej Stanaszek who is technically a "midget" squats 662, benches 402, but only deadlifts 321 for a total of 1385 at 114lbs. He could probably pull a lot more but his small fingers limit his grip severely.

And for the olympic lifts there is "Pocket Hercules" Naim S

Madmick said:
I don't think the clean takes very long to learn. It can be taught in a couple of weeks. The snatch is a different story, cocky. That is one hell of an advanced lift.

And I'm a huge fan of the olympic lifts, I just don't see any advantages of the snatch over the clean for combat athletes.

I mean, when I have to restrict an athlete's entire regimen to 6-8 exercises, I want to hit the whole body but in completely different ways. If I put the snatch in I have to take, what, the squat or the deadlift out? I see the clean/squat or clean/deadlift as superior couples to the clean/snatch.

i agree.

I love the clean.

I also love the snatch.

The guy downstairs hates me.

Back