Explosive workout

UWanaPlayDaGame

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I used to do strictly upper body hypertrophy and play soccer two times a week and thought I had strong legs.

then I had a nasty knee injury and after healing it I started a real workout program with conditioning and strenght workouts. every four weeks I change patterns and it worked out great, I'm lean, V-shaped and feel my legs stronger than ever.

now I got to the explosiveness workout and it's the first set I'm doubting. I do 5 sets of 5 reps of jumping squats, every set followed by 8-10 vertical jumps (as hard as I can) then the same pattern for deadlifts followed by 8-10 front jumps then the same pattern for powercleans. is this set up to sherdog's standards and what are the benefits of this workout?

Last edited:
what are the benefits of this workout?

Why are you training in a certain way if you don't already know the "benefits" of that training?

The efficacy of the programming you have developed is based almost entirely upon your goals, which you have yet to share. However, regardless of goal, your programming is almost certainly less than ideal.

Doesn't sound ideal to me, and if anything, a poor mans version of complex training (which may be something you want to look at later on). If you're using 5rm in those 5x5 sets you're using too much volume for those muscle groups to go about getting the "explosive" benefits that you're after. Go lift heavy shit with an intelligent program (SS, 531), make consistent strength gains. Then after a while move onto a program that incorporates intelligent plyometircs when the time comes and you'll be sweet.

is this set up to sherdog's standards and what are the benefits of this workout?

I'm not gonna comment on the program atm as i don't have much time. But here's some advice.

If you're coming up with a workout, and then afterwards trying to figure out what the benefits of it are. You're going about it completely backwards.

You need to figure out, exactly what it is that you want to improve. and THEN research the best ways to go about improving said quality. Any other way is inefficent at best, and a waste of time at worst.

when the time comes you'll be sweet.

teeheejeremyrenner.gif

why is it "less than ideal"? it was designed by a professional. I see that I failed to paint a good picture in my first post, but I did expect more out of you repliers lol...

my goal is to become very well conditioned overall. my training for the whole year has been four weeks for each part of conditioning then switch to another. the gym teachers say that your body gets accustomed to the exercises you make so changing the stimulus every four weeks maximizes the results.

I already did schedules of complex exercises as a preparation camp, then four weeks of hypertrophy, four weeks of strenght training, four weeks of speed training, etc. right now I'm talking about "explosion training", with the goal of becoming quicker, more powerful when I burst into a movement.

Professional what? With what qualifications?

Why are you asking Sherdog's opinion, if when you don't like it, you just respond that your program was designed by a professional, so it must be good. Why not ask the person who designed your program your questions about your program?

But the short answer is that explosiveness/power is something that can only be produced at peak levels very briefly. So 5 reps of jump squats, followed by 8-10 reps of jumps, means that only a fifth to a quarter of those reps will be executed well and near peak power. And then following the same pattern for other exercises, where you'll be even more fatigued. Altogether it means very few quality reps, and a lot of substandard crap reps.

chill out man I asked sherdog's opinion mostly because I had nothing to do and wanted to talk about conditioning training.

I asked my questions to the teacher who designed the program but he has a gym to run and has only good things to say about his own program.

I'm looking for different views and thank you for bringing up the fatigue issue, I've been working out after work when I'm already tired and I'm thinking about getting rid of the jumps. I don't get extremely fatigued though as I'm doing the squats and deadlifts and powerclean with low weights.

why is it "less than ideal"?

It is less than ideal because it appears to be ineffective at producing the adaptations you desire (specifically, in this case, "explosiveness").

it was designed by a professional.

A shitty one, it seems.

I see that I failed to paint a good picture in my first post, but I did expect more out of you repliers lol...

You got some honest responses. I'd say that's pretty good.

my training for the whole year has been four weeks for each part of conditioning then switch to another. the gym teachers say that your body gets accustomed to the exercises you make so changing the stimulus every four weeks maximizes the results.

If these gym teachers are the above labeled "professionals" they are clearly inadequately equipped to provide advanced programming advice.

I already did schedules of complex exercises as a preparation camp, then four weeks of hypertrophy, four weeks of strenght training, four weeks of speed training, etc. right now I'm talking about "explosion training", with the goal of becoming quicker, more powerful when I burst into a movement.

The periodization model above makes some sense, but your programming within blocks appears to be, as I said, less than ideal.

please elaborate 'cause my whole workout is up to these guys.

right now I'm talking about "explosion training", with the goal of becoming quicker, more powerful when I burst into a movement.

It's been addressed.

But the short answer is that explosiveness/power is something that can only be produced at peak levels very briefly. So 5 reps of jump squats, followed by 8-10 reps of jumps, means that only a fifth to a quarter of those reps will be executed well and near peak power. And then following the same pattern for other exercises, where you'll be even more fatigued. Altogether it means very few quality reps, and a lot of substandard crap reps.

If you're using 5rm in those 5x5 sets you're using too much volume for those muscle groups to go about getting the "explosive" benefits that you're after.

please elaborate 'cause my whole workout is up to these guys.

A good program wouldn't leave as many variables unaddressed as yours does, and the things that are addressed like the sets and reps don't make much sense. Also, what you're doing to "change the stimulus" and when you're doing it, seems random.

Last edited:
The workout selection is probably fine (jump squats, high jumps, deadlifts, power cleans) but the order and rep scheme makes no sense. It's too much rep volume in one session. Cut back on your reps of everything. Do power cleans before deadlifts. Deadlift last. Deadlifts are only explosive if you're doing speed deadlifts, which should be done with no more than 2-3 reps per set. Get plenty of rest between sets.

For explosiveness training, the goal is NOT to go to fatigue / failure. It's about rep quality, not quantity. Once you get tired, you're suddenly not training your explosiveness anymore, you're training your endurance and lactate tolerance.

Last edited:
I worked with a soccer player for a few months after she had ACL reconstruction surgery. Primary focus was rehab, focusing on ROM, stability through the joint, and basic strength. After that, we focused on building up general strength, and increasing her basic aerobic fitness. We worked together for a short while on power. We started with box jumps, stepping down from the top, and then moved onto depth jumps after a month or two. I never had the chance to take it much further, as her coach decided that he wanted to take over the role of prescribing her main strength and conditioning. Somewhat irritating, but oh well.

thanks for the input. I did move deadlift for last but I'm having a hard time agreeing with you guys about rep volume.

I don't feel very fatigued and gym guys are watching my execution form all the time and they say it is quite fine. if I'm training some endurance too, what's the downside?

or do those extra reps harm the following explosiveness set? overall I don't like performing this setup but haven't been convinced it is wrong/shitty/less than ideal.

What the guys are saying is...just got ham and you'll be ok.

From the thread title I expected to see a vid/gif of someone shitting themselves whilst squatting or deadlifting.
Despite the fact that when you've seen one of those you've seen them all I can't decide if I'm disappointed or not.

thanks for the input. I did move deadlift for last but I'm having a hard time agreeing with you guys about rep volume.

I don't feel very fatigued and gym guys are watching my execution form all the time and they say it is quite fine. if I'm training some endurance too, what's the downside?

or do those extra reps harm the following explosiveness set? overall I don't like performing this setup but haven't been convinced it is wrong/shitty/less than ideal.

You're not training both. Those two things are pretty much Jekyll and hyde.

chill out man I asked sherdog's opinion mostly because I had nothing to do and wanted to talk about conditioning training.

I asked my questions to the teacher who designed the program but he has a gym to run and has only good things to say about his own program.

I'm looking for different views and thank you for bringing up the fatigue issue, I've been working out after work when I'm already tired and I'm thinking about getting rid of the jumps. I don't get extremely fatigued though as I'm doing the squats and deadlifts and powerclean with low weights.

SarUj5I.gif

Back