exercises for injury prone bodyparts

tosainu

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What free weight or body weight exercises can I do for these to make sure they dont get injured.

hip
rotator cuff
knees
wrists
ankles

Am I missing anything else?Parts of the boyd what are weak or can become weak becuase of certin exercises?

squat
deadlift

that should cover most of it

What free weight or body weight exercises can I do for these to make sure they dont get injured.

hip
rotator cuff
knees
wrists
ankles

Am I missing anything else?Parts of the boyd what are weak or can become weak becuase of certin exercises?

head/neck area

do neck flags

Bite wooden pole. Extend body out, legs straight, arms at side. Hold for time. For increased resistance, hold DB between feet.

hip
rotator cuff
knees
wrists
ankles

The main thing IMO is to find a lifting style, whatever that may be, that doesn't cause them to be injured. That is, if your lifting style injures you, or people who recommend you lift like they do have been injured by their own exercises, don't continue or follow what they are doing.

hip
rotator cuff
knees
wrists
ankles

The main thing IMO is to find a lifting style, whatever that may be, that doesn't cause them to be injured. That is, if your lifting style injures you, or people who recommend you lift like they do have been injured by their own exercises, don't continue or follow what they are doing.

I'm 33, 6'2", 210 and have just recovered from a 6 month injury. I had abductor tendonitis from squatting on a smith machine. I know what you are thinking, and I’m never using the devil’s apparatus for anything again and I would recommend that everyone take that advice as well.

Then stay away from machines.

head/neck area

do neck flags

Bite wooden pole. Extend body out, legs straight, arms at side. Hold for time. For increased resistance, hold DB between feet.

LMAO! You must have some serious strong teeth, jaw and neck for that shit, lol!

For shoulders look up shoulder savers on t-nation, or the dieselcrew's shoulder rehab videos on youtube.

Make sure your hips and ankles are mobile, yet strong. That will protect your knees.

Smith machine crushes mans spine:
http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/archive/index.php/t-45876.html
" Nalley testified that he replaced the adjustable safety stops with a "dead stop" 21" off the ground, which he believed would prevent a crushing injury if someone lost control of the bar.

Experts showed that the spine of the 6'4" male is 26" and had the stops been at 26 inches, Mr. Bostick's catastrophic injuries would not have occurred. Flex's experts did not defend the safety of the 21" stops, but testified that the 21" stop was necessary to allow a 4'10" woman to do a "full" squat with her buttocks on the ground;"

http://www.daneiden.com/myths.html
Myth: The smith machine is a safe and effective alternative for free weight exercises like squats, bench press, and military press.
Truth: The smith machine only allows you to work with linear movement with the weight being stabilized for you instead of you stabilizing the weight. A persons stabilizers such as the external rotator cuff muscles in the bench press and military press and the patellar ligament and anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in the squat don't have to work because the machine is stabilizing the weight for them. You see the body normally operates in three planes of movement and with the smith machine it operates in only one. A person works their muscles in only one plane of movement and therefore sets themselves up for injury once they return to normal free weight exercises because those stabilizes have weakened due to not having to work. The smith machine is cause for many weight room injuries with the knees and shoulders.

I find squats hard can never postion my left leg properly so it just hurts with weight,dont know why but it has to be in exacly the rigth postion or it just hurts,where as the right can be slightly off and still be ok

we just had a thread for knee stabilization. Do those singled legged squats, both teh one with the other leg is behind and in front of you.

Smith machine crushes mans spine:
http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/archive/index.php/t-45876.html
" Nalley testified that he replaced the adjustable safety stops with a "dead stop" 21" off the ground, which he believed would prevent a crushing injury if someone lost control of the bar.

FYI it wasn't caused because of it being a Smith machine or machine in itself. It was caused by negligence and removal of safety. Reading that article, it says

...manufacturing a dangerous and defective exercise machine...
...admitted to removing safety stops which would have prevented Mr. Bostick's injury...

Next one:

http://www.daneiden.com/myths.html

Unreferenced opinion just doesn't do it for me. It might convince others, however.

If that was truly the cause of the injury- we have no way of knowing, then yes. Not all things work for all individuals, no surprise there.

That was such a random comment.

Not all things work for all individuals, no surprise there.

Actually, if its dangerous for you, it might be for me too. If you cut your hand off on a table saw, might I do the same? If I work on a car with no jackstand and get crushed, is it any less dangerous to do just because you differ from me in some way? No.

If companies are leaving safety equipment off Smith machines maybe everyone is better off not using them, not just people over 6'4".

We can't selectively protect the consumer.

squat
deadlift

that should cover most of it

Quoted for truth. Start out low, make sure your technique is solid. I started squatting with just the bar, deads with an 85# total. I add a little bit more weight every session, which adds up over just a few months. But technique is the key to avoiding injury.

Actually, if its dangerous for you, it might be for me too.

So we've learned that if a machine has a flaw, and the safety measures are removed, someone will get injured with high probability. Color me unsurprised. :)

If companies are leaving safety equipment off Smith machines maybe everyone is better off not using them, not just people over 6'4".

You should have put "if" in a size 500 font, because it is a big if. You make it sound like it is a rampant problem, lol.

Let's also examine the safety features of barbells--oops there aren't any, my bad.

Back