Ever have a ton of big expenses all at once?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
First my roof cost me 13k, then my wife's car got hit and I had to pay a 1k deductible, and today my sewer line is clogged up with tree roots and it's costing me 6k to get it fixed.

When it rains it pours.

I was proud of myself for saving up an emergency fund, but now it's almost gone. If one more emergency happens I'm fucked.

TLDR: I suddenly sound poor

Why so expensive for the sewer pipe. Seems like it would be a simple fix. Are they having to tear up pavement or something

When we first bought our house we found that they lied about all new wiring.
All the outlets were new but all the fixtures were knob and tube which cost us $3500.00.

That was after paying $5000.00 more than the asking price so the lady could pay her bills so we could actually buy the house.

Then we paid $2500 to redo the whole mudroom, and $1000 to put lally columns in the cellar.

It hurts sir, but you'll find that it was worth it in the long run.

Much love to you and your family.

no, i balance shit i need.

Last year in the space of a month I had to get a new car battery, new tires for the SUV, a round trip ticket to NY, pay airport parking for three weeks (I left spur of the moment for a family illness), my eight year old cell phone was no good anymore so had to get a new one and I had to replace my washing machine.

First my roof cost me 13k, then my wife's car got hit and I had to pay a 1k deductible, and today my sewer line is clogged up with tree roots and it's costing me 6k to get it fixed.

When it rains it pours.

I was proud of myself for saving up an emergency fund, but now it's almost gone. If one more emergency happens I'm fucked.

TLDR: I suddenly sound poor

You need the Drain Addict to get rid of the roots. Check for a sewer jetter in your area.

I don't know how much he gets paid but it's not enough

Australia has some plants with very active roots trying to find water. They will infiltrate any slight leak and grow rapidly forcing the gap open even wider.

Story or my life. It's like the universe knows when I got money, then....bam bitch.

As far as the sewer goes. Try doing it yourself first. You can get a cheap sewer camera for less than 150 and a jetter for about 50 if you have a decent pressure washer. Or just rent a snake from home depot.

Yes, right now, altough after clicking on the thread and seeing yours mine don't seem so bad.

Yours do remind me of the big concern I have with buying a house - after paying the (already basically unaffordable) enormous price tag for the property, you then can get clobbered for very large amounts by all kinds of shit - roofs, windows, drains, boilers, whatever - I don't know how most ppl can afford (I suspect they can't, so needed maintenance rarely gets done). Whereas living in a flat, all of that is dealt with by management company and not my problem...

I rue the day my roof goes. That's a killer. That's why wife and I have about 180k cash for emergencies.

yes I'm basically flat broke at this point because things keep breaking and other bad luck.

That's a bummer TS. Hope you catch a break.

Back