Ever had a surgery done?

Summer between 6th and 7th grades my left index finger was crushed with a sledge hammer. Me and a buddy were, for some stupid fucking reason, crushing cans with the sledge, he missed and popped the can off of the stump we were using. I picked the can up to replace it not knowing he was swinging just to hit the stump for some reason.

Total of four surgeries on my hand.

Had my gallbladder taken out in 2009.

Two knee surgeries, right knee in 2012 for a torn meniscus. Which I had torn trying to pass guard. Left knee in 2013 for a torn meniscus and one of the small ligaments up in there due to a heel hook.

Had a few hernias and both internal and external hemmies fixed in 2019 from chasing a 600-lbs. deadlift. Max at the time was 520 lbs. Blew my shit all out on a rep at 445 lbs.

That was not smart but I can't blame you, that's my big fear. I'm chasing 500 and I'm at 475 fairlyyyyyy comfortably, but i fear fucking up my back for 25lb. I've been lucky so far, no tears, no major injuries, but I'm absolutely paranoid about deadlift and squat injuries. I'm 35 and I'm at some point soon going to test up, but I've stated my stopping points in lifts as 500dl, 450sq and 300bp. There's a point after which you have to be realistic, and it's hard, but health > ego must be a dogma

That sounds horrible, I need to get it done at some point. I'm gonna wait until I'm 99% sure I won't break it again lol.
It wasn't great. Zero breathing through nose for those two weeks and the gauze removal was not pleasant! More uncomfortable than painful though.

tonsils when i wwsa 20, it was horible my cautorized gash reoprened 3 days later, had second surgery to fix
widon teeth at 23 was ezpz
gender reassignemt surger y as an infant was born with both part. but its easier to build a bridge than dig a tunnel so mow ima dude

I was lined up for that surgery, then the doctor offered an alternative. Still have the deviated septum, but can breathe fine now. I think it was called Balloon Sinuplasty. Basically, he fished small balloons up to my sinus cavities, then inflated them. Didn't hurt too bad, but a lot of pressure. Well worth it.
I don't think that was around when I had mine done, but I was also having cosmetic work done on my nose at the same time.

I've got two, one was for appendicitis and one for testicular torsion ( yeah that was horrible, got kneed in the balls when playing soccer )
Geeeeez. Yeah I had appendicitis too, when I was in the 3rd grade.

Appendix taken out and surgery to remove a 3 inch piece of glass thst got stuck between my wrist bones (technically the very beginning of my radius and ulna)

Was it worth doing?
I was also having cosmetic work done to it at the same time. That was worth it but the septum work only gave me a small breathing improvement. Bit disappointing but maybe you'll have better luck.

Double hernia as a newborn
Tonsils around 6 or 7
Ligaments in my thumb, and a tumor removed from the same thumb 2 years ago.

I had a cyst removed from my thyroid gland. It had been there for years, visible, but completely harmless. Until it got infected, then it swelled up to the point that it took up about 30% of the circumference of my neck.
The infection was treated and the cyst went back to its normal size, but I had surgery a few months later.

When I woke up from the anaesthetic I had three unpleasant surprises; one, I started to choke due to build-up mucus in my throat. I kept sitting straight up like Frankstein's monsters in an old film but a nurse would just slam me back into the bed. Second, there was... something hanging out my neck. I just assumed the stitches had burst and neck meat or whatever was spilling out. My mom had to explain to me that I had a small bottle attached via a tube that went into my neck to allow fluids to drain. Thanks to doctors for not filling me in on that one. Lastly, someone had taken off my underwear for some reason. I had worn them because this was the NHS in the mid-90s and making a 16-year-old boy walk to surgery with his arse on show for all to see was acceptable. I disagreed, hence the Y fronts. Why the fuck take them off in the middle of surgery though? Was Jimmy Savile visiting that day or something?

That was not smart but I can't blame you, that's my big fear. I'm chasing 500 and I'm at 475 fairlyyyyyy comfortably, but i fear fucking up my back for 25lb. I've been lucky so far, no tears, no major injuries, but I'm absolutely paranoid about deadlift and squat injuries. I'm 35 and I'm at some point soon going to test up, but I've stated my stopping points in lifts as 500dl, 450sq and 300bp. There's a point after which you have to be realistic, and it's hard, but health > ego must be a dogma

Aside from a few tweaks in my back over the years, I'm more likely to hurt my front. I've had several hernia-like soft tissue injuries, but never to the extent of what happened in 2019. Weak abdominals, I guess. Or maybe some other sort of imbalance.

I was absolutely overtraining...

career stress, in my side business I was fulfilling a contract with a warehouse dividing it up into rentable spaces using 10' high galvanized fence a couple nights per week, training jiu-jitsu, lifting, and building a shed in my backyard...

all while dieting.

I ignored quite a few indicators that I had a bad time coming my way. I just wanted that 600-lbs. pull.

Glass removed from my hand. Have a nice looking lighting bolt scar on the palm of my hand. Nerve is still a bit fucked though.

Hernia was the worst for me. They say you'll be back to doing things in a few weeks. Walking around was okay. Working out though? Try 5-6 MONTHS.

Whenever I see an athlete have to get hernia repair, I always think, "See you next year/season."

Last edited:
Was your surgeries done by the actual highly respected experienced doc, or did the doc let some student interns learn via doing on you?

I'm guessing even if the doc did the surgery while trying to teach, he/she could get distracted by teaching and screw something up.

Who hasn’t had surgery done? I’ve had a shitload.
Starting from when I was about 5 years old, I have had

Surgery on my nuts to correct testicular torsion.
Two teeth extracted due to a corn cob tooth.
Wisdom teeth extracted.
Bankart surgery for my shoulder that kept dislocating.
An ablation surgery in my heart to correct SVT.

Back