Even though Alex P is the more skilled striker, I have a weird feeling he’s getting KO’d by Jiri

Jiri gets rocked almost every fight. He's got great recovery but his defense is bad and I don't think his defense is going to hold up against Alex. Jiri needs to mix up takedowns or Alex is going to rock him and won't let him recover.

I think if jiri wins, it is by breaking Pereira down with pace, and jiri probably takes a lot of damage in the process of doing that.

I will say that I can see jiri winning by ko, sub, or decision, but I can only see alex winning by KO early... I do not think alex can go five rounds with the pace that jiri pushes.

I do too. I think eventually Jiri will turn this into a firefight and Alex's chin won't hold up.

I think if jiri wins, it is by breaking Pereira down with pace, and jiri probably takes a lot of damage in the process of doing that.

I will say that I can see jiri winning by ko, sub, or decision, but I can only see alex winning by KO early... I do not think alex can go five rounds with the pace that jiri pushes.
The longer the fight goes, the more it favors Alex IMO. Jiri stands very bladed and is really open to leg kicks, guess whos the best leg kicker in the whole ufc?

It's weird that people don't treat LHW like HW. These guys both have power and anyone can go down. It sort of is a HW fight after they rehydrate. Best chin will win or Jiri turns D1.

i think it's Jiri's aggression that will be concerning for Pereira. most strikers don't like guys who will just keep attacking, it fucks up their timing and rhythm and doesn't allow them to setup anything.

I hope so. I love me some Jiri. People hate on his Samurai Schtick but I think it’s by far the coolest thing about him as a fighter. His only problem is he takes a lot of damage and gets wobbled every fight.

Last edited:
Alex will be slightly slower with the extra 5-10 lbs he's keeping to stay at LHW, but that won't be as big of a factor as you think. Alex isn't a speed demon, he has impeccable timing which makes him seem super fast. His game isn't built on speed like Izzy, for example -- who has great counter striking, but also relies heavily on speed.

The longer the fight goes, the more it favors Alex IMO. Jiri stands very bladed and is really open to leg kicks, guess whos the best leg kicker in the whole ufc?

I agree. If Jiri is going to win, it's going to be early, catching Alex cold. If Jiri is unable to win inside of two rounds, Alex will destroy him.

The tired Jiri that was facing Glover, in Rounds 3-5, would've been KO'd badly by Alex.

I agree. If Jiri is going to win, it's going to be early, catching Alex cold. If Jiri is unable to win inside of two rounds, Alex will destroy him.

The tired Jiri that was facing Glover, in Rounds 3-5, would've been KO'd badly by Alex.

Yeah, I agree. Alex's style of striking is difficult for most people to identify because he uses angles, head movement, footwork and distance so well. It's very subtle. It isn't flashy. It's almost like a distant version of dirty boxing where it isn't always pretty but it works very well. It would be very easy to tire out striking with Alex because you'll throw 100 strikes and land 10 of them, and not flush and not from the optimal distance/angle and he can make you pay 20-30 times during those exchanges. If you can survive those kind of striking exchanges with Alex you're a terminator. In rounds 4-5 you're going to be exhausted and battered striking with Alex, anyone would be -- especially Jiri, I thinl.

His downfall will be like the Izzy fight -- when there's blood in the water and he goes in for the kill. His low hand approach can leave openings if he's closing the distance to finish.

I am having a hard time with this one. I keep going back and forth on this one. Someone is going out though.

Jiri moves a lot. He does stand bladed and lean over heavy on his front foot at times, but you need to time that and not eat shots in the process. I just don't think alex has the cardio to hang at jiri's pace for 5 rounds, even if he is kicking jiri's ass in the first 2. I think it is KO in the first two rounds for Alex, or bust.

You have to be Big Balls to try beat Alex in striking.

alex-pereira-knockout.gif

Back