Even though Alex P is the more skilled striker, I have a weird feeling he’s getting KO’d by Jiri

Fatback96

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge Alex P fan and think he’s probably the best striker in the UFC rn.
However, there are several factors that is giving me this feeling that Jiri will KO him:

-Jiri’s style is the main one. He’s not a conventional striker and Alex even admitted he doesn’t understand it. Alex P’s style works great against other conventional styles or inexperienced strikers.
-Alex P can sometimes be a slow starter, which could be bad news for such a fast starter in Jiri who comes out for round 1 like a tornado
-Jiri’s length. I think he has one of the longest reaches in the UFC. Alex isn’t used to fighting people his size or larger.
-Alex is a bit slower-footed at LHW with all the extra weight, he doesn’t move as much which can sometimes be his main form of defense
-Alex P is getting up there in age, and has been KO’d somewhat recently
-Alex’s recent training footage shows him taking ABSOLUTE BOMBS from Gregory Rodrigues who hits like a truck. That can’t be good for his durability.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge Alex P fan and think he’s probably the best striker in the UFC rn.
However, there are several factors that is giving me this feeling that Jiri will KO him:

-Jiri’s style is the main one. He’s not a conventional striker and Alex even admitted he doesn’t understand it. Alex P’s style works great against other conventional styles or inexperienced strikers.
-Alex P can sometimes be a slow starter, which could be bad news for such a fast starter in Jiri who comes out for round 1 like a tornado
-Jiri’s length. I think he has one of the longest reaches in the UFC. Alex isn’t used to fighting people his size or larger.
-Alex is a bit slower-footed at LHW with all the extra weight, he doesn’t move as much which can sometimes be his main form of defense
-Alex’s recent training footage shows him taking ABSOLUTE BOMBS from Gregory Rodrigues who hits like a truck. That can’t be good for his durability.
All good reasons. Kickboxering skills don't necessarily translate into MMA, like when Khalil Roundtree sparked Saki, though Alex had done well. Jiri's unpredictability and his willingness to take risk would be dangerous for Alex, but it could also dangerous for Jiri. This is why I'm excited for this fight!

:meow:

It's not really a "weird feeling" if you list 6 reasons, is it?

My thoughts exactly. Very weird title, or very weird thread one of the two.…

I agree that his awkward style could present a challenge for him, but other than that I don’t see it.

Jiri has an 80 inch reach and is 6’4. Same as Izzy so there goes him not being used to long fighters. I’m pretty sure he’s fought plenty of other long guys before whether it’s mma or kickboxing.

Also is he really slow footed at LHW? I didn’t think he seemed slow footed at all that’s just his style, he’s not in the balls of his feet and bouncing all the time. He looked the same as always to me. Pereira says he’s faster and this weight and I tend to believe him. It makes sense to me considering the weight cut he had to endure.

Alex has fought, off the top of my head, Yousri Belgaroui (x2), Adesanya and Abena; all 3 of similar height and long reaches. Adesanya has the same reach as Jiri and Yousri in particular is, for sure, taller and longer than him as well.

All good reasons. Kickboxering skills don't necessarily translate into MMA, like when Khalil Roundtree sparked Saki, though Alex had done well. Jiri's unpredictability and his willingness to take risk would be dangerous for Alex, but it could also dangerous for Jiri. This is why I'm excited for this fight!

:meow:
Not just Kickboxing but other arts too, we have a BJJ legend Rodolfo Vieira getting submitted while GSP a Karate fighter who has outwrestled a whole list of national champions. that's the beauty of MMA you can never be completely sure as there are way to many variables

Maybe it's because I'm rooting for Pereira and the fighters I root for always get flattened, but I have the same concerns about this matchup TS.

I have no idea how a lethal "textbook" kickboxer matches up with the anomaly that is Jiri. Maybe Jiri's complete disdain for defence does him in, but I think that he tanks a few shots and comes back with some fight ending oompa loompa bullshit.

Jiri also looked surprisingly competent on the ground against Glover, so that's another dimension where he can get Alex, who is also on the wrong side of 36 and has recently suffered a terrible KO.

I think Jiri is probably gonna run into one of those hellacious left hooks but either guy catching the other can't be considered shocking.

Well, you stand a 50/50 chance of getting it right. One of the two is getting KO'ed.

theweasle did a good breakdown on youtube and i agree with him. jiri leans forward with weight on his front foot. his head is there to hit and those leg kicks to the front foot will be available for alex too.
Jiri is not opposed to playing footies on the ground, and going to be interesting to see if he's starting to like it or not after the glover sub.

I think either guy knocking out the other one is pretty close to 50/50. Jiri is so unorthodox in his style. I’m not even sure you could find someone that could mimic him for a training camp.

I’m leaning Alex, though. The shoulder and inactivity of Jiri are question marks for me.

Neither guy is very sound defensively. Somebody is getting KOd, I think. But either guy getting a sub is possible too.

AP leaves his chin out there. He could definitely get flattened here. Hopefully he learned from the Izzy loss, but if this turns into a brawl while they’re both fresh it’ll be a coin flip.

Back