• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Evander Holyfield and Riddick Bowe fighting multiple times after the bell during their second fight

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
A great fight, overshadowed by the fan man. But them fighting after the bell, including the final bell is amusing

Reactions: HHJ
Bowe was a shithouse and a bully, didnt want anything to do with Lewis and got retired by Golota

Bowe was a shithouse and a bully, didnt want anything to do with Lewis and got retired by Golota
Not a great ending to a undisciplined career

im always amazed at how Americans hold Bowe in such high regard, other than his first fight against Holyfield, he has very few wins on his record that stand out, even before he fought Holyfield, he looked ill disciplined and didn't look great, i think the Rock Newman hype machine did a lot for Bowes career in all honesty, he was obviously a talented fighter, but he didn't fight a LOT of top fighters who were knocking about around his time

i dont even blame him for this, i think it is all squarely on Newmans shoulders, and i think he has even admitted as much, his job was to earn his client as much money as possible with as little risk as possible, and Bowe didn't mind that

i think Lewis would have battered him, and i think he would have struggled with a few other fighters as well if he didnt come into the fight in tip top shape(which he rarely did...maybe a few fights tops)

im always amazed at how Americans hold Bowe in such high regard, other than his first fight against Holyfield, he has very few wins on his record that stand out, even before he fought Holyfield, he looked ill disciplined and didn't look great, i think the Rock Newman hype machine did a lot for Bowes career in all honesty, he was obviously a talented fighter, but he didn't fight a LOT of top fighters who were knocking about around his time

i dont even blame him for this, i think it is all squarely on Newmans shoulders, and i think he has even admitted as much, his job was to earn his client as much money as possible with as little risk as possible, and Bowe didn't mind that

i think Lewis would have battered him, and i think he would have struggled with a few other fighters as well if he didnt come into the fight in tip top shape(which he rarely did...maybe a few fights tops)

depends on when the Lewis fight would have been

depends on when the Lewis fight would have been
possibly, maybe Bowe could have caught the cocky McCall Lewis, but it was a small window and i doubt Lewis would have fought that kind of fight against Bowe

he certainly didnt fancy the fight after the Ruddock fight

possibly, maybe Bowe could have caught the cocky McCall Lewis, but it was a small window and i doubt Lewis would have fought that kind of fight against Bowe

he certainly didnt fancy the fight after the Ruddock fight
i mean.

after the Ruddock fight, Lennox had some pretty horrendous performances. Looked terrible vs Tucker. Got kinda dominated by Frank Bruno for most of their fight. Lost to McCall.

Riddick probably beats him up until he gets with Steward. then Lewis wins

i mean.

after the Ruddock fight, Lennox had some pretty horrendous performances. Looked terrible vs Tucker. Got kinda dominated by Frank Bruno for most of their fight. Lost to McCall.

Riddick probably beats him up until he gets with Steward. then Lewis wins
maybe, Bowe had such a small window of being decent, i think possibly Donald was his last good win

and that was a very green Donald who he sucker punched and the fight probably shouldnt have happened

Bowe just doesnt have many good wins, and certainly not against anyone with any pedigree

maybe, Bowe had such a small window of being decent, i think possibly Donald was his last good win

and that was a very green Donald who he sucker punched and the fight probably shouldnt have happened

Bowe just doesnt have many good wins, and certainly not against anyone with any pedigree
Still Bowe beat Holyfield twice. He was the first man to defeat him and the first to stop him. This was prime Holyfield btw. Not the past prime version that Lewis fought and failed to put away.

Still Bowe beat Holyfield twice. He was the first man to defeat him and the first to stop him. This was prime Holyfield btw. Not the past prime version that Lewis fought and failed to put away.
cmon, that is clutching at straws with the fight he stopped Holyfield in, his body basically gave up at that point, he had known medical problems(probably due to steroids, but we wont go there)

you think Bowe would have beat the Holyfield that beat Tyson twice?

cmon, that is clutching at straws with the fight he stopped Holyfield in, his body basically gave up at that point, he had known medical problems(probably due to steroids, but we wont go there)

you think Bowe would have beat the Holyfield that beat Tyson twice?
Holyfield was misdiagnosed which is why his initial retirement was so short-lived. You do realize that Lewis fought Holyfield years later though and bodies don't get more durable with age? Yes, I would expect that Bowe would've beaten the version of Holyfield that beat Mike. He'd already won their trilogy decisively.

Holyfield was misdiagnosed which is why his initial retirement was so short-lived. You do realize that Lewis fought Holyfield years later though and bodies don't get more durable with age? Yes, I would expect that Bowe would've beaten the version of Holyfield that beat Mike. He'd already won their trilogy decisively.
are you mistaking it with his so called heart problem in the fight he lost with Moorer?

are you mistaking it with his so called heart problem in the fight he lost with Moorer?
If Holyfield's body was already breaking by that point then several years later, which is when he fought Lewis, it would've been even worse. Think about it. It wasn't until 1999 that Lewis fought Holyfield. Bowe beat him in 1992 and 1995 respectively. Bowe's trilogy with Holyfield ended in 1995. The next year Holyfield beat Tyson in their first fight. It was only 12 months later.

If Holyfield's body was already breaking by that point then several years later, which is when he fought Lewis, it would've been even worse. Think about it. It wasn't until 1999 that Lewis fought Holyfield. Bowe beat him in 1992 and 1995 respectively. Bowe's trilogy with Holyfield ended in 1995. The next year Holyfield beat Tyson in their first fight. It was only 12 months later.
i'm guessing you were mistaken then from that response

Holyfield was a mess due to a diabetic condition i believe, blood sugars all over the place, which was why he was so erratic around those years you mentioned

i dont think ive said that Lewis beat a prime Holyfield either

i'm guessing you were mistaken then from that response

Holyfield was a mess due to a diabetic condition i believe, blood sugars all over the place, which was why he was so erratic around those years you mentioned

i dont think ive said that Lewis beat a prime Holyfield either
Sounds like an excuse. He was medically cleared to fight. Bowe stopped the prime version of Holyfield and it had nothing to do with anything diabetes related.

oh ok, good luck with that narrative
It's a fact. What you're pushing is a false narrative. Your entire argument is contradictory btw. Somehow you dismiss Bowe's stoppage win over Holyfield but only a year later propose that version of Holyfield who beat Tyson was much improved lol.

if you believe that the Holyfield that fought Bowe in the 3rd fight was ok, then fine

im not going to argue with you, hopefully someone else disagrees and is willing to have the pissing contest you clearly want

if you believe that the Holyfield that fought Bowe in the 3rd fight was ok, then fine

im not going to argue with you, hopefully someone else disagrees and is willing to have the pissing contest you clearly want
There's no reason to believe Holyfield wasn't fine in the third fight. You make it sound like he looked bad all the way up to the stoppage. That isn't the case. But, I'll entertain it for a second. By your own logic then Lewis' stoppage win over Briggs doesn't count. Briggs is an asthmatic.

Back