European Weightlifting Championships 2008 +125kg class

Yeah, that's a serious distance, the nearest club to you is Ayr (about 200km). Perhaps contact Miles from Olympic Weightlifting and ask him if there's anything closer?

Ayr! That's even further south than Townsville! That IS a long way.

Miles from QWA? Is that Miles Wydall, the coach of Damon Kelly and the other lady, both Queenslanders who got the Australian Olympic Weightlifting spots? I was over the moon when I heard we got some Aussie lifters into the Games!

Thanks for the contact suggestion, if nothing turns up I'll just keep working on my slow lifts (I just bought a power rack and 190kg of plates) and join a club when I eventually move back down south!

Ayr! That's even further south than Townsville! That IS a long way.

Miles from QWA? Is that Miles Wydall, the coach of Damon Kelly and the other lady, both Queenslanders who got the Australian Olympic Weightlifting spots? I was over the moon when I heard we got some Aussie lifters into the Games!

Thanks for the contact suggestion, if nothing turns up I'll just keep working on my slow lifts (I just bought a power rack and 190kg of plates) and join a club when I eventually move back down south!
Yep. I was at the trials on Saturday, man it was a great comp!!

Damn, that would have been a great comp to see. Very jealous! How did they decide which two lifters would go? Total lifted? Some formula to compare weight classes?

Damn, that would have been a great comp to see. Very jealous! How did they decide which two lifters would go? Total lifted? Some formula to compare weight classes?

Lifters were ranked by percentage total over the qualifying total (over the trials, or any of the qualification events). The women were all well behind Seen Lee, so Deb's final lift (well over personal best) was very impressive to see. The men's field was much closer, and unclear. It was great to see a trials with everyone putting in their best, and several lifters making personal bests.

Lifters were ranked by percentage total over the qualifying total (over the trials, or any of the qualification events). The women were all well behind Seen Lee, so Deb's final lift (well over personal best) was very impressive to see. The men's field was much closer, and unclear. It was great to see a trials with everyone putting in their best, and several lifters making personal bests.

Man, the atmosphere would have been amped! Were the trials at that big sports gym/swimming centre place hear Rod Laver Arena and the tennis centre? I walked past it when I was at the tennis last year - you have really nice facilities down south - I was spitting that I didn't get to walk around inside.

Man, the atmosphere would have been amped! Were the trials at that big sports gym/swimming centre place hear Rod Laver Arena and the tennis centre? I walked past it when I was at the tennis last year - you have really nice facilities down south - I was spitting that I didn't get to walk around inside.
Nah, it was a good atmosphere but not big enough to fill a stadium. The Commonwealth games on the other hand packed in a block of the Exhibition center and were fantastic.

Where are you originally from? Why Cairns?

You're a page.

No, you're a towel!

towlie.jpg

Originally from Brisbane, but moved up to join my girlfriend, who has a job in Cairns. Funny how I really felt no urgency to do anything about finding a weightlifting club when I was down there, but now, living up here, I'm kicking myself that I didn't go earlier. My interest has only peaked in the last 6 months, by reading this forum and seeing people posting highlights of Olympic lifting. The old story really, you don't know how good you've got it until it's gone!

The thing I miss most is the martial arts training - in Brisbane I could train twice a week at a place that did submission grappling, striking, wrestling and throws, but there's nothing like that up here that I've found, you'd have to go to jiu-jutsu, judo and karate (no muay thai here) to make up for it!

Do you lift? (might be a stupid question judging by your avatar:icon_chee)

Do you lift? (might be a stupid question judging by your avatar:icon_chee)
Sort of. I was pretty serious about my lifting from about Yr12, through uni - never lifted any special weights, but was ok. Once I started working (1.5 years ago), things became quite tough to fit in (I work in the city, and training is in Huntingdale, and that's if I'm here). My knee got injured again, nothing huge, but a bit of a sideline. Around the same time, my workload started to involve a lot of international travel, which is difficult with respect to training. UK gyms are pretty shit, and US hotel gyms don't have real weights.

I guess currently I'd be a "recreational lifter", which sucks. I come into the gym on the weekend, and try train twice a week at fitness first. Given that the heavy travelling followed the knee injury, I'm now also pretty weak, so non-olympic strength exercises are still quite beneficial (eg. squatting). Perhaps I'll be able to focus more seriously on strength later in life, but I don't believe in doing the weightlifting half assed, so for now its "recreational lifter" for me.

Ah, nuts. I was sitting up the road in the library with a nagging feeling I should be somewhere else; I'd completely forgotten they were on.

They show this shit on national TV in China. It was fantastic.

Alon, at least you lifted solid through uni, so you've got the technique down pat! Whenever you want to pick it up seriously again all you need to do is go back to it, you'll still have the coordination in you. Hopefully you're job will allow it someday! What did you do to you knee?

I wish I'd lifted at uni. At University of Queensland they have a powerlifting and weightlifting club, and a judo/jiujutsu club. Lucky bastards. Why the f*$k did I have to go to the Queensland University of Technology instead is beyond me! Oh yeah, that's right, I wasn't smart enough to get into U of Q :icon_cry2

Alon, at least you lifted solid through uni, so you've got the technique down pat! Whenever you want to pick it up seriously again all you need to do is go back to it, you'll still have the coordination in you. Hopefully you're job will allow it someday! What did you do to you knee?
Yeah, I can pick it up again, although I have lost a fair bit of strength. I'm going to try keep a base level in my lifts which I think I can maintain, although I'm not really sure what that is right now.

About the knee, I had bursitis and a patella tendonopathy (calcium, veins and shit in the tendon). It's alright now, but the thing that causes it is high impact movements (sprinting, jumping, weightlifting) and because of the calcium deposits, it's something I need to stay aware of.

You go to Hawthorn often? Have we met?

I've only been down there twice so far. I can't commit to joining just yet until I get concrete living circumstances. Why is everything monthly around here?

Back