Economy EU orders Ireland to make Apple to pay up to 13 billion Euros

Its common knowledge in Ireland that US multinationals have never paid their full share of taxes, even with Ireland having one of the lowest rates in Europe. Why do you think so many of them have their European HQ's here ?

Wait until they start looking at the returns from Facebook, Google, eBay, Paypal, Twitter etc.

*said the increasingly nervous windows phone user for the 8th time this year*

Windows doesn't make phones any more as far as I know. Samsung finally derailed the Apple Hype train. The iPhone 7 is on par with the Samsung S4 hardware wise.

I wonder if those figures are already factored into their 21% net profit margin on 220 billion dollars

That's a disgusting amount of tax evasion. Stopping corporate tax evasion should be given a lot more attention.

Windows doesn't make phones any more as far as I know. Samsung finally derailed the Apple Hype train. The iPhone 7 is on par with the Samsung S4 hardware wise.
I only bought an iphone because someone told me "you can't talk as much shit about apple as you do without owning one of their products"

Of course i have a samsung s7 now. Believe me im that kid preaching the death of apple, lol

Shouldn't it be Ireland paying the fine to the European Commission? It sounds like there were the one's breaking the law by granting "illegal state aid".

pretty sure apple was operating under a negotiated tax plan, sounds like they are just trying to dive into apples deep pockets in an effort to bail themselves out

Apple devices will cost us a mountain more now on. My kids are going to have to settle for Samsungs when their contracts run out I guess.

Its common knowledge in Ireland that US multinationals have never paid their full share of taxes, even with Ireland having one of the lowest rates in Europe. Why do you think so many of them have their European HQ's here ?

Wait until they start looking at the returns from Facebook, Google, eBay, Paypal, Twitter etc.

They already are.

I hate corporate tax avoidance, but the idea of the E.U dictating a European country's tax rates fly straight in the face of Sovereignty. It will be very interesting to see how this court case unfolds, especially during a time when the E.U is in crisis.

Apple is not the only American company that has recently found itself under scrutiny over its European tax affairs.

The European Commission ordered Starbucks and Fiat Chrysler to repay millions in taxes last October.

Starbucks (SBUX) has to pay back up to 30 million euros it saved thanks to a sweetheart tax deal with the Netherlands. Fiat Chrysler (FCAM) was ordered to repay a similar amount after a similar deal with Luxembourg.

Both companies have appealed the decisions.

The EU is also probing the tax arrangements of Amazon (AMZN, Tech30) and McDonald's (MCD). Google (GOOGL, Tech30) is under investigation over its taxes in France and a couple of other European countries.

The ruling against Apple's tax deal comes despite a stern warning from the U.S. Treasury Department last week that it would consider "potential responses" if the Commission doesn't change course.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce said the EU's ruling "feeds the perception that the Commission is unfairly targeting U.S. businesses."

"When coupled with ongoing competition investigations against several U.S. manufacturers, technology companies, and services providers, this ruling raises significant new questions about Europe's attractiveness as an investment destination for U.S. business," the Chamber said in a statement.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/30/technology/apple-tax-eu-us-ireland/

Last edited:
I thought I posted this but don't see it anywhere. Shouldn't Ireland be paying the fine? Aren't they the ones breaking the rules by offering tax breaks?

EDIT: Looks like there's more than one thread about getting fined.

I wonder if Ireland will consider getting out of the EU once this hits them.

Maybe Apple thinks about relocating to the UK since its no longer a member.
Yes im sure Apple loves the thought of paying more in taxes by moving to England...

Damn, they're probably salivating at the idea of getting the money.

Seriously fuck apple and they should get taxed the max. What apple did to keep wages low here in America should have turned everyone against them. But Americans love sucking that giant corporate dick.

It is clear that the EU is trying to establish itself as a force to be reckoned with, the bombastic speeches from various EU leaders after "Brexit" told everybody as much. The citizens will only be appeased with a show of force, after a show of weakness.

The new era will see an increasing amount of clashes between the super-states and the super-corporations, with nation-states such as Ireland serving as mere "pawns" on the chessboard. I only wonder how the likes of Apple will respond, perhaps by lobbying for anti-EU sentiment?

Scumbag multinational corps gonna scumbag.

They already are.

I hate corporate tax avoidance, but the idea of the E.U dictating a European country's tax rates fly straight in the face of Sovereignty. It will be very interesting to see how this court case unfolds, especially during a time when the E.U is in crisis.

They can always Eirexit.

The idea that you should be able to reap the benefits of international cooperations when it comes to advantages and then fall back and clain sovereignty at the disadvantages is the what baffles me the most.

They dont pick Ireland because its a great country to put a corporation, they choose Ireland because its a country that will allow them to pay no taxes and still reap the benefits of selling in the entire EU.

Back