Economy EU orders Ireland to make Apple to pay up to 13 billion Euros

Agree but will see how they react when the US closes Military bases in Northern Europe. Russia will be happy. Ireland is not happy companies are going to be running away. This is not going to end well for anyone.

Why would the US do that?

Unless they are content to be relegated to the status of a regional power.

Agree but will see how they react when the US closes Military bases in Northern Europe. Russia will be happy. Ireland is not happy companies are going to be running away. This is not going to end well for anyone.

lol at closing bases, not happening.

Nah, there isn't any structural change happening (ok, sure, except the Brexit).

USA pushed the envelope with VW, now the EU is pushing the envelope with Apple in retaliation.

In 2 to 5 years even the stock market will have forgotten, and both the USA and the EU will have a tacit agreement to tone these things down.

Nobody is closing any military base because of that.

Nah, there isn't any structural change happening (ok, sure, except the Brexit).

USA pushed the envelope with VW, now the EU is pushing the envelope with Apple in retaliation.

In 2 to 5 years even the stock market will have forgotten, and both the USA and the EU will have a tacit agreement to tone these things down.

Nobody is closing any military base because of that.

Could be but with this election coming up things could change.

I'm not sure why people are convinced this is retaliation for the US finding VW, given the EU is also fining them for something like 15 billion dollars, and another, more recent fine for another 3.3 billion.

Or why the US would be upset about this, given this discourages countries from pulling the same stunt Apple just tried.

Some of you try to appear sophisticated by assigning hidden motives to everything, but in reality you're just some under informed schmucks on an MMA forum.

I'm not sure why people are convinced this is retaliation for the US finding VW, given the EU is also fining them for something like 15 billion dollars, and another, more recent fine for another 3.3 billion.

Or why the US would be upset about this, given this discourages countries from pulling the same stunt Apple just tried.

Some of you try to appear sophisticated by assigning hidden motives to everything, but in reality you're just some under informed schmucks on an MMA forum.

Well you know in the OP the US did threaten them over this.

So I'm not sure if that's all talk or if they mean it.

Good, about time a corporation got punished for avoiding taxes.

US is a big hypocrite in this regard, i think they are now the largest tax haven in the world, after preaching so much against he Swiss and others.

Because we want that money not because we agree with Ireland.

That's fair. I read that as being upset about the EU's high handed lack of cooperation with similar American efforts, which is different from the gung ho "we'll start a massive trade war and end our bases" response people in this thread think will happen.

And you are trying to be clever by being condescending but you don't seem to realise that governments often act as something close to a representative or an agent of their respective multinationals.

You'll constantly hear in the news about company X getting a huge contract following president A's talks with president B. It happens every month or so, if not more.

And if you think that the european political class and public opinion wasn't annoyed at the outrageously high fine imposed by american authorities on VW you must not be paying attention.

Also, google the concept of reciprocity in commerce, legislation and application of legislation.

Good day to you, Sir.

Personally I believe after Apple appeals the ruling nothing happens for years. Then the US repatriates overseas earnings and that will be the end of it.

That's fair. I read that as being upset about the EU's high handed lack of cooperation with similar American efforts, which is different from the gung ho "we'll start a massive trade war and end our bases" response people in this thread think will happen.

I think only one person in this thread wrote that.

They can pay up. I will never buy an apple product.
I wouldnt count it out, my kids go to a school that requires ipads, and when I buy them an app, I use family sharing so each ipad has it's own icloud account, yet can share from the same pool of purchases..... I dont think android has anything like that, the operating systems are too fragmented. As much as I love the nexus 6p (finest phone I've ever owned), I could bite my lip and live with iphone for the family sharing feature. I'm the only one that uses android in my family.....

That would be an incredibly dumb thing to do. Why would they make such a decision without knowing whether the UK will still be part of the single market once they do leave?
Because it may prove cheaper than paying a bullshit $13bn Euro cash grab. Extortion can't be tolerated, or the EU will clearly turn Apple into a piggy bank simply because European tech struggles in comparison.

Because it may prove cheaper than paying a bullshit $13bn Euro cash grab. Extortion can't be tolerated, or the EU will clearly turn Apple into a piggy bank simply because European tech struggles in comparison.

Lol

Seriously I do not even know how to respond to that. Did you have your morning coffee already?

Xgka5.gif

Ireland must recover up to 13 billion euros ($14.6 billion) in unpaid taxes from Apple, European officials said on Tuesday.

The tax ruling is the biggest the European Union has ever made regarding a single company, and it could spark a huge transatlantic row over how Europe treats U.S. companies.

Apple shares initially fell almost 3%, but then recovered most of their losses. The company will appeal the decision. It said the ruling upended the international tax system and would damage jobs and investment in Europe.

The European Commission, which administers EU law, said the Irish government had granted illegal state aid to Apple (AAPL, Tech30) by helping the tech giant to artificially lower its tax bill for more than 20 years.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/30/technology/apple-tax-eu-us-ireland/

Apple paid tax at 1%, or less, on profits attributed to its subsidiaries in Ireland, well below the 35% top rate of corporate tax in the United States and Ireland's 12.5% rate.

That prompted complaints by both European and U.S. lawmakers, who argued that Apple had been given an unfair advantage in exchange for creating jobs in Ireland.CEO Tim Cook was even called to testify on Apple's tax arrangements with Ireland before a Senate committee in 2013.

The bill for tax benefits, plus interest, covers 2003 to 2014. Apple has more than $231 billion in cash on its balance sheet to cushion the blow.

Cook said on Tuesday the ruling had "no basis in fact or in law," calling it "obvious targeting of Apple."

Here's the funny thing:

1) The E.U ruled that Apple owes Ireland $13 Billion in back taxes.

2) Ireland says there's no such thing, and is going to court to dispute that Apple owes them anything.

If the Ireland refuse to collect the money the E.U court insists that they are owed by Apple, could the E.U punish Ireland?

PS: The complaint from this side of the Atlantic in regards to this taxation matter is from the U.S Department of the Treasury, as expected. Why there are people in this debate actually talking about military bases (a.k.a Department of Defense) is beyond me. It's almost like they think the U.S has a centralized government like China or something.

Last edited:
Apple is pretty much dead at this point.

Back