Movies ETERNALS (Opens $71M in U.S., $161.7M Globally; Lowest Rated MCU Film on RT)

If you have seen ETERNALS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
It was decent. One of the mid tier Marvel films and much better than Shang Chi or Captain Marvel.

I liked the movie but may have put too much thought into it.

So Arishem The Judge is a stand in for a creator god. The Eternals by extension are created beings (angels) whose purpose is to shepherd this creator gods creation into maturity (in reality to a energy quota) that will power the birth of another celestial causing the death of Earth but the creation of untold life throughout the universe.

Cerci is a biology teacher who decorates her class with pictures of Darwin who is a prophet of evolution. In the MCU Arishem is the creator of life on Earth therefore he is the manifest god of evolution in a way.

I found it odd that the movie is about a rebellion against a god stand in but the god being rebelled against isn't a god of morals or laws but the very process of life itself.

If the surviving eternals are successful in causing the eternals stationed on other planets to rebel against the celestials then wouldn't that ultimately lead to stagnation in life creation in the universe?

I also found it strange that Icarus who was faithful to Arishem (life process) cast himself into the sun (hell) yet Cerci who is in full on rebellion against Arishem is lifted up to heaven to be an intercessor for man in Arishem's coming judgement.

The intercessor for man in Christianity is Jesus Christ who offers mortal man eternal life.

The intercessor for man in Eternals is Cerci who offers a fellow eternal mortal death.

What message is this film trying to get across or should I have just turned my brain off?

It was ok. I didn't hate it and I don't get the backlash. I enjoyed it more than the first 2 Thors and Capt Marvel and a couple of other mid-tier MCU films. Probably won't watch again anytime soon, but it was alright.

It was an ok movie. I liked the beginning and ending. Got a bit bored in the middle. Really have no interest in seeing more of these heroes though if I'm being honest.

It was very meh....6/10. Anybody else thought it was Bucky and Wong playing Ikaris and Gilga, respectively, this whole time?

Its a piece of garbage, stuck trying to be multiple genres of film. The action sequences are awful and the actors seem to not agree in what type of movie they want to be in. Easily the worst marvel film ever made.

So Arishem The Judge is a stand in for a creator god. The Eternals by extension are created beings (angels) whose purpose is to shepherd this creator gods creation into maturity (in reality to a energy quota) that will power the birth of another celestial causing the death of Earth but the creation of untold life throughout the universe.

Cerci is a biology teacher who decorates her class with pictures of Darwin who is a prophet of evolution. In the MCU Arishem is the creator of life on Earth therefore he is the manifest god of evolution in a way.

I found it odd that the movie is about a rebellion against a god stand in but the god being rebelled against isn't a god of morals or laws but the very process of life itself.

If the surviving eternals are successful in causing the eternals stationed on other planets to rebel against the celestials then wouldn't that ultimately lead to stagnation in life creation in the universe?

I also found it strange that Icarus who was faithful to Arishem (life process) cast himself into the sun (hell) yet Cerci who is in full on rebellion against Arishem is lifted up to heaven to be an intercessor for man in Arishem's coming judgement.

The intercessor for man in Christianity is Jesus Christ who offers mortal man eternal life.

The intercessor for man in Eternals is Cerci who offers a fellow eternal mortal death.

What message is this film trying to get across or should I have just turned my brain off?

The Celestials create and promote life up to a certain point. And then the life on the baby celestial planet gets destroyed. The movie seems to be promoting allowing life to evolve beyond what the celestials need it for and allowing for greater self determination of the species they create.

The Celestials create and promote life up to a certain point. And then the life on the baby celestial planet gets destroyed. The movie seems to be promoting allowing life to evolve beyond what the celestials need it for and allowing for greater self determination of the species they create.
The Celestial that is born from the planets demise will then replace the life taken by creating new life. It's the circle of life at the highest level, in the MCU anyway.

What of the new life that would have been brought about by Tiamut or all the other unborn celestials who will be sabotaged by rebelling eternals?

At least the movie pointed out the bias of it being a human focused story but what sentient beings would willingly except destruction for the creation of new life? Given the option I wouldn't think many.

I guess that is why Arishem is The Judge. He decides the fate of life but if all eternals rebel that doesn't seem like it would be in the best interest of life as a whole.

I mean when you think about it it isn't really devious so much as out of necessity that Arishem erases the memory of the eternals because they seem to imprint on the species they are in charge of in order to have that species best interest at heart but in the end they are just tools used to create energy for the propagation of a higher being. It's not an ideal situation for all involved but such is the essence of life.

Last edited:
The Celestial that is born from the planets demise will then replace the life taken by creating new life. It's the circle of life at the highest level, in the MCU anyway.

What of the new life that would have been brought about by Tiamut or all the other unborn celestials who will be sabotaged by rebelling eternals?

At least the movie pointed out the bias of it being a human focused story but what sentient beings would willingly except destruction for the creation of new life? Given the option I wouldn't think many.

I guess that is why Arishem is The Judge. He decides the fate of life but if all eternals rebel that doesn't seem like it would be in the best interest of life as a whole.

I mean when you think about it it isn't really devious so much as out of necessity that Arishem erases the memory of the eternals because they seem to imprint on the species they are in charge of in order to have that species best interest at heart but in the end they are just tools used to create energy for the propagation of a higher being. It's not an ideal situation for all involved but such is the essence of life.

The MCU position is that self determining life is better than Arishem determined life. The Celestials are life for life's sake which is impersonal and devoid of character. Superheroes are cool and have their own individual stories.

The MCU position is that self determining life is better than Arishem determined life. The Celestials are life for life's sake which is impersonal and devoid of character. Superheroes are cool and have their own individual stories.
Of course Arishem will judge humanity fit for continued survival because the continuation of the MCU depends on it. You could even claim that humanity has earned its continued survival by defeating Thanos and resupplying the celestials with the 50% of their energy source that Thanos robbed them of.

Of course Arishem will judge humanity fit for continued survival because the continuation of the MCU depends on it. You could even claim that humanity has earned its continued survival by defeating Thanos and resupplying the celestials with the 50% of their energy source that Thanos robbed them of.

I thought that whole element was an intriguing aspect of the storyline.

Thanos' action had the unintended consequence of delaying the Emergence. Stark, Hulk, and co. bringing everyone back unwittingly cemented earth's demise but also inspired The Eternals or, at least, initially, the prime eternal Salma Hayek to finally intercede on behalf of humanity and prevent that from occurring.

Of course, the Celestials' abilities sort of fly in the face of Thanos' whole "universe is finite/population control" theory, no? Arisham and co. seemed like they could just make plenty of something out of nothing- well more so that they could generate entire universes out of energy supplied by single planets.

Or he doesn't and the Avengers smash his stone face in.

I believe it's a reference to the Archangels Gabriel and Michael.

Marvel keeps pushing their woke narrative. Time to unplug from their shit show.

In retrospect, I think they should have switch the slots between Hawkeye and Eternals. Condense the Hawkeye miniseries to a 2hr movie and expand Eternal to a miniseries. One is only introducing a few new characters taking place over a Christmas, one has a big team of brand new characters taking place over thousand of years. I think this would improve both titles significantly.

Just saw it. Probably the bottom Marvel movie of the year. Preferred Shang-Chi, Black Widow, etc over it.
First half was rather boring, later being carried by Don Lee (Ma Dong-Seok) and the Indian duo who weren't a part later on.

Overall just felt weak and low energy.

One of the most confusing things going on is how they made Ego in Guardians of the Galaxy a celestial. And here we have actual, giant, super duper Celestials. What's going on there?

Back