ESPN Front Page trying to explain MMA

the article is fine.

stop being a dick.

for MMA to grow into truly mainstream they are going to need to explain it to the masses in a simple and interactive way. MMA has a lot of terms and jargon that people need to learn to become UFC fans. And there is no easy straight forward way to learn all of this information.

ESPN's quality is not great overall but there is no better partner for the UFC when growth of the sport is concerned.

It's 2019 and Free Style Fighting is on the front page of ESPN

Baby We Did It

tenor.gif
Honestly

You're a biased cocksucking dweeb.

They actually have several great examples under each both in stills and video.

Fuck your post.
Dude chill. Be mad all you want but calm tf down.

Don't remember Fox doing this... must have stuck it on FS2.

To me, MMA is like ballet, except there isn’t any music, there’s no choreaography, and the dancers hit, kick, wrestle, and choke each other out.
-Kenny Florian

the article is fine.

stop being a dick.

for MMA to grow into truly mainstream they are going to need to explain it to the masses in a simple and interactive way. MMA has a lot of terms and jargon that people need to learn to become UFC fans. And there is no easy straight forward way to learn all of this information.

ESPN's quality is not great overall but there is no better partner for the UFC when growth of the sport is concerned.

Yup.
Very Big ticket to more reach, more ‘household’ in the US.

Could be worse. Their video content has been pretty good though.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...eorges-st-pierre-jon-jones-other-ufc-fighters
Just from looking at it, seems like an ignorant, lazy attempt to explain MMA to casuals.

Says MMA consists of 4 "moves":
-Strikes
-Kicks (I thought kicks counted as strikes?)
-Chokes
-Joint Locks

Glad to see that the UFC-ESPN era is off to a good start.
tenor.gif

LOL, that shit is embarrassing.

It should say, Mixed Martial Arts is a combat sport that includes, but is not limited to, all types of wrestling from Freestyle to Greco-Roman, Sambo, Muay Thai, Kick Boxing, BJJ, Judo, Western Boxing and Karate. Fighters can tailor their strategy to fight their opponent, both standing or on the mat. A winner is decided by knock out, submission, or decision and fights can be from 3 to 5 rounds.

MMA is pretty damn mainstream now. At least, literally everybody I know knows what the UFC is and has a general idea of what it entails. I'm not sure a super basic breakdown is actually necessary.

My only real criticism of this article is that there's nothing about wrestling. Takedowns are arguably the most important factor of a fight.

No shit it's going to be simplified, it's for casuals. 90% of this forum couldn't even describe an omoplata anyways

Not gonna lie.....

I dunno how that site/article looks on a desktop, but on my phone right now going through it, it was bloody beautiful.

Yeah, very elementary, and I think for anyone who’s even heard of mma it prolly feels a little patronizing at this point, but it was a sweet couple minutes browsing.

It's actually pretty cool. I personally think that casuals won't take the time to go through it as they need to be entertained if they're gonna learn anything. Kinda like Anthony Bourdain used food as a hook to teach us about people and cultures.

Last edited:
Any time you explain things in a way that casual fans can understand, it will come off cringy to us. More exposure is good. Nothing wrong with the article.

Don't remember Fox doing this... must have stuck it on FS2.
No Fox had tat stupid robot mascot from the nfl boxing with the ring girls and JDS apparently in a burning building

Back