ESPN Cashes In!

The point is that the numbers in this context may be deceiving. They allowed people to sign up and then back out without paying. It is a small sample size, but I have seen a lot of people on here say that is what they intend to do.

So fans of the UFC signed into watch one event when the UFC is doing multiple events every month on it, I highly doubt that. I think a larger percentage of new subscribers will stick with it. Sure a few here and there will drop off like anything. But if you signed up because of the UFC there is no reason to drop unless your streamed sucked for whatever reason.

I can't see both, but Cejudo's right nipple looks strange.

Big numbers for ESPN's streaming services. I still rather watch it on their ESPN tv channel. Not gonna lie, I dont really watch stuff like Netflix or Hulu. Streaming on a laptop is too much work. I rather click a button on my remote and nothing else.

Big numbers for ESPN's streaming services. I still rather watch it on their ESPN tv channel. Not gonna lie, I dont really watch stuff like Netflix or Hulu. Streaming on a laptop is too much work. I rather click a button on my remote and nothing else.

Me to.

Not too mention the only other thing on ESPN that night was Sportscenter. Seems like the first show on this new deal should've just been all on ESPN and used that to push subscribers moving forward on ESPN+

525k subs @ $5 month == $2,625,000

If you multiply that by 12, you get 31.5 million/year

That assumes 100% of these folks keep their subs (I've already cancelled my trial because the experience was horrible)

ESPN is paying 300 million/year for this rights deal.

They are losing their pants, its a long play. I can't figure how the numbers work long term but it seems they are trying to buy their way into a future in the age of cord cutting.

That's just a slice of the revenue stream.

What about the ads that play during the event?

They are not losing their shirt, they just added half a million users to their total.

I wonder how many subscribers they have? Google anyone?

latest

That assumes 100% of these folks keep their subs (I've already cancelled my trial because the experience was horrible)

They are losing their pants, its a long play. I can't figure how the numbers work long term but it seems they are trying to buy their way into a future in the age of cord cutting.
For one thing they are owned by AT&T, who has very big pockets and is making a big push into online streaming.

EDIT: This is incorrect, its Disney with the pockets going big on streaming.

For another, $5/month, you still get commercials..

Last edited:
I don't think most of the free trial people will leave after a month. There are basically cards every weekend on ESPN+. Every now and then a PPV or a card on ESPN proper. If you can't afford to pay five bucks, you need a different job.

Yeah but we fight pass subscribers got effed. We usually get the prelims and such
If this continues fight pass people might cancel.
I also feel that the UFC screwed their Fight Pass subscribers.

After every shitty thing the UFC does, I get more interested in other MMA.

Some guys on here were saying there were too many commercials.. That might be a deal breaker to me but I'll give them a little bit to iron out the creases and revisit it in the future if I want to subscribe or not.

I cancelled mine. Plenty of lag, pixilation and artifacts. Meanwhile the pirate stream ran like a champ. Switched over just in time to see Hardy shit the bed.

I watched the early prelims live on Fight Pass. I didn't think I'd be able to. I'm in Canada and watch the main card on TSN. I will find out soon if I continue with Fight Pass.

they probably generated over $5 million in commercial revenue for the night, in America alone. It's not a long game, it's a fast game.

Some guy could not cancel so I have a feeling all those guys who are saying they cancelled right away are stuck in for the long haul.

Dana and ESPN owns you

UFC on ESPN 1 Francis vs Cain will also do really good

ESPN is heavily invested with UFC

And everybody wins imo

(Maybe not Reebok when the deal expires)

ESPN and the UFC will continue to sell the streaming service so I expect the number to rise throughout the year. In fact, ESPN executives are more than likely anticipating larger new subscriber numbers when McGregor, Khabib, Jones and Cyborg/Nunes fight on PPVs (customers can purchase the PPV via ESPN+).

Due to the larger exposure a brand can have being featured on UFC programs through the ESPN linear, radio, social media and streaming service platforms, I expect WME to negotiate a larger apparel deal once the Reebok deal is over in a few years. I'm sorry to say for the Reebok haters that the uniforms will probably not be going away. (Interestingly, the PFL has uniforms for its fighters.)

Some guy could not cancel so I have a feeling all those guys who are saying they cancelled right away are stuck in for the long haul.

Dana and ESPN owns you
You absolutely can cancel cause I already did it
He was prolly just too stupid to navigate to the cancellation page

Back